Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy needs help with unexplained wobble

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 10:42 PM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,818 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
For your own safety just give me the goddamn bike before your hurt yourself. Now if you have at least half a nut left between your legs your bike is fine. New tires have a mold releasing agent on them...makes them pretty damn slick for a while. Go ride carefully for awhile gradually increasing how far you lean over in corners, go easy on the throttle too. It doesn't take very long, couple miles to scrub them in if you're trying.That's all it is, the " techs" should have warned you about that when you picked up the bike the first time. So go ride or or ship it to me...i like new tires.
In NYS, mororcycle repair shops are legaly required to inform customers that new tires can be “slippery”. Most good shops tell you to run in gravel at a slow pace to scuff up the tire and spin off some of yhe mold agent. In NYS, repair shops have you sign a release that you understand this.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:55 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

tire pressure would have got my first look. And then make sure the axles are torqued correctly. I seen a buddys bike come back after getting tires and the tech left the spacer out of the rear wheel. Tore up the pulley, swingarm, belt and other stuff. Lucky it didn't kill him. If nothing else , take it somewhere else to be looked at. Don't trust anyone with your life. I agree with one of the above posts, maybe they seen their screw up and fixed it and won't own up to it. If it don't feel right it most likely is not right. Trust your feelings on this.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Markroadking
They just called me at 6pm to let me know they could not find anything wrong with it and I could not get over there in time to pick it up. I have asked them to order me wheel bearing and replace them ASAP. They say bearings will be in and installed Friday so hopefully I can ride it then. I know the bearings are a shot in the dark, but I’ll try anything at this point. I can tell you that if i can’t figure this thing out I’m going to have one less toy in the garage.
Whoa there! Stop messing around in the dark and spending money for the sake of it, that doesn't serve any useful purpose. We're trying to help you, but you are not helping yourself. When you get your bike back, check those darned tyre pressures - for yourself! And ride it. You don't have to go far initially, just round the block will do - or up the road and back. The only thing I can think of that may have caused the sensation you describe is low tyre pressures, as several above have suggested. Take a deep breath, count to ten slowly, and approach this with a cool head and a calm temperament. Let us know what you find.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:35 AM
Markroadking
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roger that. Will do!!

Old 10-10-2018, 04:36 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,242 Likes on 808 Posts

They replaced your tires, and your bike began to exhibit the classic symptoms of loosing tire pressure. Your response is to have the swing arm bearings replaced and otherwise sell the bike, but absolutely not check the tire pressure.

Sounds like a brilliant plan to me!

Old 10-10-2018, 04:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Roger that. Will do!!

Between us we can get to the bottom of this!

Old 10-10-2018, 04:48 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Have them check the front motor mount, they are known to shear in half like a sliced bagel

Old 10-10-2018, 04:50 AM
Markroadking
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for the record. I went on a ride the Wednesday before I had the work done and discovers the next day that both tires had about 22lbs pressure in them. The bike felt a little unstable at 65mph, but not even in the same ballpark or feeling I got Friday night. If the bike was here I would check the pressure right now, but my logic says it was unrideable Friday night and as of yesterday the Harley shop says it’s fine. I don’t think air pressure magically shot into the tires (or maybe it did). It’s the first thing I will check when I get the bike back. Thanks again for all your help and suggestions

Old 10-10-2018, 04:50 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

They all do that.............................................. ................
If a person is not smart enough to ck the obvious he will eventually get a Darwin award.
You guys are just prolonging the pain.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:48 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Just for the record. I went on a ride the Wednesday before I had the work done and discovers the next day that both tires had about 22lbs pressure in them. The bike felt a little unstable at 65mph, but not even in the same ballpark or feeling I got Friday night. If the bike was here I would check the pressure right now, but my logic says it was unrideable Friday night and as of yesterday the Harley shop says it’s fine. I don’t think air pressure magically shot into the tires (or maybe it did). It’s the first thing I will check when I get the bike back. Thanks again for all your help and suggestions
Now I think you’re pulling our leg. You went riding and only later discovered your tires were down to 22 psi and yet you want us to believe you’re so safety conscious you’re thinking of selling the bike? Listen. I’m not yelling at you but you have to take responsibility for your own safety. Checking tire pressures is part of your pre-ride inspection. I admit I don’t check mine every day but I do always check them if the bike’s been sitting for a few days. I check them at least once a week when I’m riding every day around town and always check them before going on a long ride. I do that not just for safety’s sake but also to help my tires last longer.

Quick Reply: New guy needs help with unexplained wobble