Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 heat issue FYI

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 07:54 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 07 heat issue FYI

recall hell.it's EPA and exhaust emissions.therfore any after "production" changes/modification is to get around EPA and is not a recall!!!!!

gheeze...... too bad they don't include common sense and/or whine with all new RUB scoots. gheeze, gheeze, and gheeze.........! that's the kindest word I can think of.

otherwise buy a damn water cooled metric.

2007 FLHTCU

Old 07-01-2007, 08:06 PM
SMT
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God you guys kill me...guess you don't need to know anything about a Harley to buy one. Or for that matter the EPA or just what constitutes a recall.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:54 PM
jwallar
Novice

smt, when you say you guys i only read one reply mentioning recall, so looks like you generlized this conversation into one reply, I been ridin for 32 years and havent had a bike yet that I didnt do somethin with. So easy!!

Old 07-01-2007, 11:13 PM
spizzyman
Road Master

God you guys kill me...guess you don't need to know anything about a Harley to buy one. Or for that matter the EPA or just what constitutes a recall.
Wow! When it comes to knowledge, are you the cut off point? If so, list your resume so the rest of us newbees can stay or leave, depending on how we measure up.

spiz

Old 07-02-2007, 12:50 AM
DaleG
Advanced

The problem isnot the narrow band O2 sensors or closed loop system. The problem is the 14.7/1 AFR set in the 2007 ECM AFR map. I bought a SERT,did a stage 1 download, and had the AFR set to 13.5/1. Mine now runs no hotter than my friends 05 and 06 UC.

In effect the FuelPack does not remove controlfrom the closed loop system. For lack of a better term it only widens the fuel pulse width output by the ECM module. Thus increasing the time fuel is injected, and richening the mixture.

The closed loop system works well. It just does not have the range of adjustment that wide band can give you. However, the problem is the AFR (air fuel ratio) programmed in the ECM. If you change that the motor runs just fine and much cooler. Mine has no pinging or deceleration popping. The fuel pack is just an external way to increase the pulse width of the fuel pulse to the injectors.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:58 AM
ROADRAGE98
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I keep hearing about the heat. I just got back from my first roadtrip on my 07 RoadGlide. It was hot at times, a lot hotter than my 98 Fatboy. It hasn't been to the point that I regret buying my 07 and it ran great. I've read a lot of posts on this issue. It can't be keeping owners up at night this bad. Remember its a Harley enjoy it! If you want to make a few changes go ahead, but don't spoil your fun, and money, trying to make it something else. Its going to run hotter than the EVO's and 88's in the end. Stillspend the money on chrome and sound you're not going to cook.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Why does it seem to bother some folks when other folks want to work on their scoots? We don't have to be experts on the EPA, recalls, the fact that it runs hotter than Evo's & 88's, or that we're all just a buncha RUBs who'll never be as tuff as the internet 1 percenters.
All we're doing is looking at ways to richen up the mixture so our bikes don't run so lean & hot. If you can contribute meaningfully to the conversation, chime in. If you just want to be a smartass jerk don't disrupt our conversation with playground insults- go start your own thread.
I don't know dick about the EPA, and could care less. I've been riding for 33 years. My generation wasn't required to learn about governmental offices before buying a Harley or any other motorcycle, but apparently the new breed is. You'll have to give me some time to play catch up...

There a bazillion guys who've rejetted their carbs over the last hundred years to richen up their mixtures. Don't forget to insult them too...

Old 07-02-2007, 10:36 AM
jwallar
Novice

Dale, good explantion on the AFR.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:00 AM
The Vig
Advanced

OK I am admitting my noobness. How HOT should it run? My new 07 RG sits between 80-100 degrees on the gauge. Is this substantially hotter than previous HD years?
As an old water cooled Jap rider the only thing that is noticably hotter for the rideris my inner thighs. I would assume that is from the position of the exhaust. When I chose my Road Glide I knew just like knew with all the bikes I have owned there is always some consession to be made. If you dont want to make consessions drive the car- its quiet- cool - and you dont get wet in the rain.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Vig

OK I am admitting my noobness. How HOT should it run? My new 07 RG sits between 80-100 degrees on the gauge. Is this substantially hotter than previous HD years?
As an old water cooled Jap rider the only thing that is noticably hotter for the rideris my inner thighs. I would assume that is from the position of the exhaust. When I chose my Road Glide I knew just like knew with all the bikes I have owned there is always some consession to be made. If you dont want to make consessions drive the car- its quiet- cool - and you dont get wet in the rain.

Ahhh,,,, I think your looking at an Air Tempature Gauge!

Quick Reply: 07 heat issue FYI