Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Road King Windshield buffeting gamble

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 12:40 PM
MorecowbellAz
Cruiser
Received 217 Likes on 93 Posts

I just went through something similar with my RK, had a 16" windscreen and noticed alot of buffeting when I bought a new helmet (Shoei RF1200). I put the 20" OEM back on and it pretty much solved the issue completely. The top of that screen is right at nose level for me. I also have that scoop thing under the triple clamps, whatever that is called, maybe that accounts for the difference you're having because mine is pretty much dead still with the 20'. If I lift up 2" or so I can start to feel buffeting again, so I could probably go to 19" and be fine too. FYI I have a Mustang Wide Touring seat which puts me about 1" higher, and I'm 5'10.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:09 PM
mjagg
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I have a bone stock 17 RK and ride with a Bell Pit boss half helmet, I have yet experience any of the buffeting at any speeds I hear every carrying on about. We are on motorcycles and wind is part of it folks. Might be that big ol Darth Vader bucket on the head you guys ride with amplifying things a bit.
I hear ya, I like wind...love it actually. I'm lucky enough to have a few bikes without fairings and I love them. But I like stuff that works. I like sport bikes that handle, seats that are comfortable, breaks that stop, tires that grip, headlights that shine and I like fairings that don't jostle your noggen. I've had bikes before that did a much better job of the latter so in the spirit of making things better I want to cure this issue( admittedly some may not have it ) that many others have had because I love my road king. And lets face it....HD wouldn't have made their barn door wind splitter if this wasn't a common problem. I also like full face helmets. It's always nice in frigid air and an extra perk is less road rash where your beard should be. I'll admit to wearing a shortly now and then around town but on a long haul it'd be a full face, especially in the cooler weather.

Last edited by mjagg; 11-15-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:17 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Originally Posted by jlb2782
My guess is that you've never experienced it. You wouldn't last around the block if you did. I have had it with both full and a half helmet, but typically worse with a full face. Its real. Don't knock it until you try it.
Guy I've got close to 700K miles on bikes of all configurations. While I've had some goofy wind because of rigged up windshields on a few bikes that were never meant to have one it was never bad enough it threatened a demerit on my Man Card.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 11-15-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:18 AM
jlb2782
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

Guy I've got close to 700K miles on bikes of all configurations. While I've had some goofy wind because of rigged up windshields on a few bikes that were never meant to have one it was never bad enough it threatened a demerit on my Man Card.
Oh, certainly wouldn't demerit your Man Card. I didn't even know those were a real thing. I stand by what I said tho. If it is bad enough, you wouldn't make it around the block. It will literally alter your vision. Just because you never have experienced it (I am jealous of that by the way), doesn't mean its not a thing. I will say tho, it is way more prevalent with a full face, than with a half helmet. You are right about that.

Side note: An actual Darth Vader helmet would be sweet.

Last edited by jlb2782; 11-16-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:10 AM
mjagg
Intermediate

Oh, certainly wouldn't demerit your Man Card. I didn't even know those were a real thing. I stand by what I said tho. If it is bad enough, you wouldn't make it around the block. It will literally alter your vision. Just because you never have experienced it (I am jealous of that by the way), doesn't mean its not a thing. I will say tho, it is way more prevalent with a full face, than with a half helmet. You are right about that.

There is literally nothing you can't find on the interweb! Lol.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Don't look on Ebay then

Old 11-16-2018, 02:52 PM
jlb2782
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

Don't look on Ebay then
Oh, I can only imagine the Chinese **** that is out there. If I go full face, might as well be something that is worth a damn, hahaha.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:12 PM
mjagg
Intermediate

Well I might not get to test it soon. We got a big dump out here in Eastern NY so that may be it for a while unless we get a big thaw. Gives me time to get in installed along with the cruise control. I'll post pictures when I'm done. After looking at some videos I'll probably cut it myself with a dremel or jig saw. It really doesn't seem too hard to cut that stuff without cracking it.

The following users liked this post:
Sauls (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 07:50 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by mjagg
Well I might not get to test it soon. We got a big dump out here in Eastern NY so that may be it for a while unless we get a big thaw. Gives me time to get in installed along with the cruise control. I'll post pictures when I'm done. After looking at some videos I'll probably cut it myself with a dremel or jig saw. It really doesn't seem too hard to cut that stuff without cracking it.
Lexan cuts easy but the trick is go slow and the jigsaw, fast speeds melts it and ends up with a gummed mess with a nice brown burnt edge.

The following users liked this post:
mjagg (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 08:20 PM
mjagg
Intermediate

Lexan cuts easy but the trick is go slow and the jigsaw, fast speeds melts it and ends up with a gummed mess with a nice brown burnt edge.
Cool, thanks. Got a very old but excellent Jigsaw for the job.

Quick Reply: 2005 Road King Windshield buffeting gamble