Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Street Glide - considering purchase - asking advice :D

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 08:54 AM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

So this one is $9K with less than 8K miles and some nice body accessories. Pipes and intake look stock in the photos. Has cruise control, but not ABS.

At that price, I'm pretty sure I could sell it without a loss in the spring if I don't like it.

Some things I've learned from other reading....
  • 2008 introduced the Isolated Drive System to help with the gear whine on 5th gear on the then-new 6 speed trans. From my own experience, lots of bikes have straight cut gear transmissions (like every Japanese tranny I've been into LOL). Some report good results using better grades of synthetic trans oil The Iso Drive was carried forward to the later years, so it's good to have it on this one.
  • 2008 has the newer EFI controller (2007 was problematic), but the bike was delivered very lean from the factory and that makes it run too hot - worse with intake and exhaust if not retuned. Tuning, however seems to be a bit of a problem vs. 2009 and later models. Reviews of the V&H Fuel Pack looks like it just doesn't work on any of the 2008 Harley EFI models. Still looking into this one.
  • 2007 and 2008 definitely have the "death wobble" issue. Probably the same as my 2003 Dyna. True Track or the slightly cheaper Bagger-Brace should fix that.
  • 2009 introduced the improved frame and swingarm, the 19" front wheel and a wider rear wheel. Evidently, the wider rear wheel wears better and didn't hurt handling at all, but I'm a lightweight (170), will be riding mostly solo, and really not much loaded touring so don't think this is an issue. Mostly like the looks and want bags so I'm not riding with a backpack to work.
  • Comments about the transition year between earlier and later years are well advised. Can sometimes be a pain, but at least HD is good with parts.
Not 100% on any of the above, so feel free to correct or expand.

Mods I'd be thinking about (in no particular order):
  • Arlen Ness Big Brake Kit - huge improvement on my Dyna. Kind of pricey for the dual disc, but I could do a single disc - might look goofy - but could always add the second disc. Price isn't cheaper buying them as a pair.
  • Exhaust and intake. Probably just do slip ons. Would have to figure out the fueling issue.
  • Cams. Ditto on the EFI tuning.
  • Longer shocks from the touring model or just buy aftermarket. The Street Glide was slammed as part of its design, but I'd rather have the rear suspension travel and cornering clearance.

As always, appreciate your input!

Last edited by AJ88V; 01-12-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:11 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ88V
So this one is $9K with less than 8K miles and some nice body accessories. Pipes and intake look stock in the photos. Has cruise control, but not ABS.

At that price, I'm pretty sure I could sell it without a loss in the spring if I don't like it.

Some things I've learned from other reading....
  • 2008 introduced the Isolated Drive System to help with the gear whine on 5th gear on the then-new 6 speed trans. From my own experience, lots of bikes have straight cut gear transmissions (like every Japanese tranny I've been into LOL). Some report good results using better grades of synthetic trans oil The Iso Drive was carried forward to the later years, so it's good to have it on this one.
  • 2008 has the newer EFI controller (2007 was problematic), but the bike was delivered very lean from the factory and that makes it run too hot - worse with intake and exhaust if not retuned. Tuning, however seems to be a bit of a problem vs. 2009 and later models. Reviews of the V&H Fuel Pack looks like it just doesn't work on any of the 2008 Harley EFI models. Still looking into this one.
  • 2007 and 2008 definitely have the "death wobble" issue. Probably the same as my 2003 Dyna. True Track or the slightly cheaper Bagger-Brace should fix that.
  • 2009 introduced the improved frame and swingarm, the 19" front wheel and a wider rear wheel. Evidently, the wider rear wheel wears better and didn't hurt handling at all, but I'm a lightweight (170), will be riding mostly solo, and really not much loaded touring so don't think this is an issue. Mostly like the looks and want bags so I'm not riding with a backpack to work.
  • Comments about the transition year between earlier and later years are well advised. Can sometimes be a pain, but at least HD is good with parts.
Not 100% on any of the above, so feel free to correct or expand.

Mods I'd be thinking about (in no particular order):
  • Arlen Ness Big Brake Kit - huge improvement on my Dyna. Kind of pricey for the dual disc, but I could do a single disc - might look goofy - but could always add the second disc. Price isn't cheaper buying them as a pair.
  • Exhaust and intake. Probably just do slip ons. Would have to figure out the fueling issue.
  • Cams. Ditto on the EFI tuning.
  • Longer shocks from the touring model or just buy aftermarket. The Street Glide was slammed as part of its design, but I'd rather have the rear suspension travel and cornering clearance.

As always, appreciate your input!
Had a Fuel Pac on both of mine so they were available. Ride it before you throw rocks at the brakes. Brembos were a huge improvement over the older bikes, especially with the right pads. Think 2 finger stopping with a 1k pound bike. I think I have two sets of stock 13" touring shocks in the garage, I always switched my Ultras to the 12" SG shocks.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:59 AM
Darrell07FLHR
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a 2007 road king new . The only trouble that I had was with the front rotors not running true so they would rub on the pads and and you could hear it at low speed , I changed to floating after market style rotors and that was the end of my troubles . I tuned it with a power commander and road the wheels off of it .

Old 01-12-2019, 01:58 PM
BB59
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

FWIW, I have 165,000 on my 08 RK. I rode the first 88k miles with a Stage 1 and had absolutely no issues. I'm now on the third motor because I can. I've never had an issue getting parts period. Most recently for the FM 110 build. I keep hearing this in threads similar to this but have never experienced it personally either online or at the dealer. I'm not exactly sure what parts are hard to get. With respect to the "Death Wobble" it has just never happened I installed Glide-Pro bushings and motor mounts pretty early on which I know helped with that.
At 135K miles I replaced the 6-Speed Cruise Drive with a Baker DD7 because I could, not because I needed to.. The 6-Speed was running just fine. IMO it is an awesome transmission.
With only 8,000 miles that bike is just well broken in. If it has the mods you like it makes it even more attractive.
I have a 16 RK as well and it does ride nice but IMO it doesn't handle any better than my 08. Granted neither bike is riding on stock suspension.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:02 PM
Harlee5438
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I've had an 08 ultra,never any problems till I totalled it at 60k miles,6th gear was a little tall but no problem at all.I thought the 08 was a good bike.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:31 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

Just found a 2009 Road King that's been modded with a Reckless batwing fairing and HD hard bags, close in price and mileage. Still think the Street Glide is genuinely prettier / cleaner / more integrated, but the King does have a lot of nice features as part of the package - new chassis, longer shocks, bars to protect the bags.

So opening the conversation up to your opinions on this comparison. Think the RK is a better value. The SG is kitted the more the way I wanted and is prettier.

Snowing here. Scrapped trying to look at bikes today, but definitely the time to be looking.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:04 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,841 Likes on 826 Posts

If it matters to you, a Street Glide will hold it's value better than a Road King. At least in my area.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:06 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I had an 09 electraglide. Yes it had the whine in 5th but I didn't think it was an issue like others seem to. I would still be riding it if a lady didn't try to occupy the same space in a sharp lefthander. I bought a 2010 king and absolutely love that bike. I also own a 2017 street glide. If I had to get ride of one it would be the street glide.

The main issue with the 07's and 08's is parts availability as they get older. They were transitional years.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:19 PM
5280Ruffian
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Everything has been covered pretty well, but I have the FP3 oi=n my 08. The autotune feature is finicky, but if you set the O2 sensors to .8, it works. You can google the info on how to do that, but I have it working, no issues now. And the bike runs great!

Old 01-12-2019, 05:49 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ88V
Just found a 2009 Road King that's been modded with a Reckless batwing fairing and HD hard bags, close in price and mileage. Still think the Street Glide is genuinely prettier / cleaner / more integrated, but the King does have a lot of nice features as part of the package - new chassis, longer shocks, bars to protect the bags.

So opening the conversation up to your opinions on this comparison. Think the RK is a better value. The SG is kitted the more the way I wanted and is prettier.

Snowing here. Scrapped trying to look at bikes today, but definitely the time to be looking.
To me, the 09 wasn't that big of an improvement. Larger rear tire improved wear. Gearing was a little better. Same motor and trans and tank as the 08. Does the RK have cruise? Tach? You won't have any trouble finding a set of 13" take-off shocks for the SG and the rear crash bars aren't hard to find either. I may have a set off my 08 Ultra somewhere, as I put SG bag mounts on it.

Quick Reply: 2008 Street Glide - considering purchase - asking advice :D