Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price of installation of Cams

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 08:18 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by kryingame
Gang, I'm looking to compare the price that I was given for the installation of Wood's 222, pushrods and a tune. My local shop said $2K which I think is really high. The install is on a 2012 SG and I already have a dynojet.

Please, I'm not looking to compare cams, rather what you personally paid to have a shop do the install.

Thanks!
Who's supplying the parts? What parts? Are they installing adjustable or non-adjustable pushrods? Are they replacing the inner and outer cam bearings, and the cam chain tensioner? No lifters? That price seems a little high, but there are too many unknown variables to know for sure.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:32 AM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

$1400 Canadian. S&S 510 chain cams, Cam bearings, Tensioners, Quickie pushrods, Tubes and labour. A private wrench did the work.

randy

Old 01-12-2019, 09:40 AM
Bgill
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

I just did 24d cams w bearings $210 , SE adj push rods w/tubes $150 , Fueling tensioners $20, Johnson Hylift lifters SE $120, rocker lockers $15, new cam bolts $5, complete gasket kit $95, new exhaust gaskets $10, misc. shop supplies (oil, filter, assembly lube, o rings, loctite, etc) $75, new Power Vision $400 = $1100 total in parts and supplies. Without the PV it would have been $700 in parts and supplies.

***Note to anyone doing cams its best to upgrade your stock lifters at the same time.***

Labor done in my garage with help from a friend who had all the specialty tools to change bearings, check crank run out, etc. I did the tear down and rebuild he did the the cam chest work.

Bike runs awesome! Plus I have the satisfaction of knowing it was done right and no corners were cut or expenses spared (just shopped hard for all parts in advance).

I had so much fun the next week I tackled new tires (Metzler 888's) and brake pads all around (Lyndall Z Plus). Like having a new bike with all the upgrades.

Last edited by Bgill; 01-12-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:05 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Sounds bit high to me too. I'd recommend getting another estimate for comparison.. I do most of my own wrenching but Ben Edwards from Ben's V-Twin has been very helpful to me locally and he has dyno. You'll love those Wood TW222's!

Old 01-12-2019, 10:12 AM
Rodzilla71
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Did mine myself, for the cost of an ebay cam bearing tool. Paid for itself and then some. Now can do mine and friends bikes later if need be. Its not hard. You'd need bolt cutters too for pushrods, unless you take rockerboxes off. Get a Powervision, tune it up. Dynotune would be nice later, but not needed to get you in the good enough range. Hundreds left over for fuel

Old 01-12-2019, 03:08 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

That is really high. I fell for the dealer line about the warranty hen I bought my 09 and had them do everything... Cams, bearing, push rods, and a new exhaust with Dyno tune for just north of what they are quoting you for just cams.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:58 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I do my own maintenance and I did a few mods myself but I definitely don't feel confident doing cams. I've watched quite a few videos but I still don't feel comfortable. But I'm also not comfortable paying $2K...

And the $2K is for parts and labor.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:59 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sanman4ever
Ted - pretty simple job. S&S and FM have two great video's. I can let you borrow my inner cam bearing puller and installer as well.
What's up man...LONG TIME NO SPEAK. lol.
I do my own maintenance but doing cams makes me feel nervous.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:56 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by kryingame
What's up man...LONG TIME NO SPEAK. lol.
I do my own maintenance but doing cams makes me feel nervous.
Yeah it's been a little bit for sure. I'm telling you man consider the install. It's really pretty easy...have I ever steered you wrong? Don't say audio either!

Old 01-12-2019, 07:39 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sanman4ever
Yeah it's been a little bit for sure. I'm telling you man consider the install. It's really pretty easy...have I ever steered you wrong? Don't say audio either!
Hey Don, when did we do audio 2012/2013? Seems like yesterday. Thousands into audio and I never turn it on anymore. I listen to audio using bluetooth speakers inside of my Bell Pitboss helmet. I should have saved all of that audio money and got my cams or even a big bore kit. Oh well. Live and learn.

One of my riding buddies recently bought a 2013 Road glide from a metric shop. It definitely has cams because it peels off like a beast. A group of friends did a long ride and he was ripping up the roads/highways. It was all low end torgue. Based on that, I'm assuming that he's running 222's. I can't think of any other cams which gives that much power on the low end.

I remember when you installed your 222's. Any issues or regrets? I was thinking about 555's but I think for the 2000 - 4500 rpm range which is where I live, 222's is perfect.

Quick Reply: Price of installation of Cams