Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any short people, others, mount cycle from right side?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 09:14 PM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,256 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Wow! Tried getting onto my 2018 FLHCS from the right after fitting my old luggage to new ride. Front wheel turned to left, right foot on foot board, up and over seat with left leg. Much easier for my 5'9" frame and 67 years! Thanks getting me to try something different after all these years.

The following users liked this post:
perki48 (02-07-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 01:07 AM
Skippy49
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got on from the right side for many, many years. Seems a lot easier for me to get my old foot up over the seat.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:06 PM
badbmwbrad
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default A different Method to Mount/Dismount

I'm almost 5'4" and have a 2014 Electra-Glide Police FLHTP. It has the police solo seat which has been adjusted as low as possible but it's still higher than the dual seat used on the touring bike. My method of mounting the bike is probably different from the aforementioned method(s).

From the left side of the bike, stand with back facing the bike's left side. With both hands, grasp the left hand grip. Maintaining one's back against the bike's left side, bend forward at waist and raise right leg up and over the seat then pivot left foot clockwise. One can bend at the waist as needed to enable raising right leg's knee sufficiently high to clear the seat. As the right foot comes down to the ground, the right hand releases left handgrip, crosses over the tank and grasps the right handgrip.

Use the same method when getting off the bike: 1) Grasp left handgrip with both hands, 2) Bend over at waist, 3) Raise right leg up and over seat, 4) Pivot left foot counter-clockwise,
This method puts very little strain on one's right hip.

I've been riding 50+ years and have a lot of motorcycles to ride including a BMW bike with 32" seat height. The Harley Police has a higher seat and a radio box. This method also prevents me from kicking the radio box with my right foot.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:25 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by HDFRENZY
I would stress holding the brake when mounting from the right if your bike is in neutral. Seems you could easily take enough weight off the left side to disengage the stand. I could be wrong.
This was my thought too when I starting mounting this way last year (from the right side), after I fabricated a rider's backrest that would not fold down. The kickstand on the 18+ Fat Boy does not inspire a lot of confidence in its ability to stay locked up as well as the bike lean is decreased and to make sure that I didn't cause the bike to roll and potentially release the stand I use the brake each time on and off.

Last edited by iHodor; 02-11-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:41 PM
Aitch
Tourer
Received 301 Likes on 142 Posts

I mount from the right because I tend to have a "lazy" right leg from the left and kick one or both of my bags now and again. I'm 5'8" and have the grace of a St. Bernard.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:37 PM
Bruce B
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, I tried it! I bounced all 340 lbs on the right side floorboard. It held my weight no problem! Now I just have to practice mount & dismount. I’m not worried about the jiffy stand or the bike moving. I was worried if the footboard would hold the weight or not. Thanks for all the replies. I’ll just try to find the most comfortable way to mount & dismount.

Old 03-26-2022, 06:49 PM
ChicagoBikeDriver
Road Captain
Received 421 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Left side is the correct way of getting on.
Erroneous behavior pattern dying out, either side is correct as provided by posters in this thread.

Old 03-27-2022, 11:49 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,485 Likes on 1,543 Posts

i have always mounted my bikes from the right side my entire life when ever i can. I have been parked in tight and forced to mount from the left and it feels strange.

The following users liked this post:
BuzzCap7 (03-29-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 01:20 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

I believe the teach motor cops to mount from the right also. Might vary by agency though.

Old 03-29-2022, 04:53 PM
commander47
Tourer
Received 341 Likes on 135 Posts

I have mounted from the right side my entire life. I'm 70+ years old and that's a long time.

I'm also 6 foot 4 inches, 265 lbs. Harleys have never, not once, not one time, ever failed to support my weight on the floorboard/peg when throwing my leg over.

Quick Reply: Any short people, others, mount cycle from right side?