Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative to Fugly Fangs - Fork Wind Deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 09:34 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
Your bike looks like an Ultra...Does it have lowers or is it contoured to your liking the way it is ? With a set of lowers and the cheap Harley flaps that fit on the engine guard, you will not get much or any, in some cases. I have a Road Glide Special that I am going to put a set of lowers on to kill the buffeting although I don't haver much with my stock setup and the plastic flaps.
I don't like the fangs either.
If you really want to do away with buffeting on a Fugly the best way is a Madstaad windshield. When I installed it on my old RGU my first thought on the first ride was "Wow I have to turn down the stereo, it is too loud!". You may not like the look, but nothing else even comes close. This is what HD was trying to do when they introduced the fairing vents. The calm air pocket on my RGU was much better than on my new CVO.
I am going to buy a batwing Madstaad this spring.

The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 10:55 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,525 Likes on 1,421 Posts

The black bug deflectors should be renamed "Black Bug Collectors".
I can just hear it now, "Nice bug collection you have there on display, bud...".

Old 02-14-2019, 11:14 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
If you really want to do away with buffeting on a Fugly the best way is a Madstaad windshield. When I installed it on my old RGU my first thought on the first ride was "Wow I have to turn down the stereo, it is too loud!". You may not like the look, but nothing else even comes close. This is what HD was trying to do when they introduced the fairing vents. The calm air pocket on my RGU was much better than on my new CVO.
It will be interesting to see and hear a review on it. I saw it on the site and was curious. I have a Madstad on my RGC 2013 and love it. And its easy to find my bike in a pile.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:18 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
The windshield pocket does not affect the stream coming from under the batwing. This is a very strong stream of wind that is narrow in width and hits right at the base of my helmet from both directions. Putting my feet on top of the highway bar nearly eliminates this. I have a tall recurve windshield but that will only do so much.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:05 PM
WoodButcher66
Club Member
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Please come back and give a review on the Madstad on a bat wing. I have looked for a review of them on a Rushmore Street Glide with no luck. I would love to hear some first hand experience.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:19 PM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Picked up and installed my fangs yesterday and had a chance to spend 3 hours riding today. They definitely make a huge difference in the buffeting. They don't even look bad on the Road King, they kind of blend in with the chrome front end. I do see myself taking them off in the warmer months though as well and my windshield. I would definitely recommend them if you're okay with the look.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:53 AM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

Funny, I just took my black ones off last night. If Harley doesn’t make black ones, the guy who powder coated mine, did a hell of a job. They look OEM.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:54 AM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

Before, and after

​​​​​​​

Old 02-17-2019, 03:42 PM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

The GLADS LT14 lower fork triple tree wind deflector work to eliminate alot of the buffeting on my bike. It stops alot of the wind coming up from under the tank.Its less than 20.00 Definitely well worth money.

Last edited by rsking45; 02-17-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:06 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

While I have an older bike, the buffeting problems are the same. Eliminated most of the buffeting with Memphis Shades contoured lower fairing deflectors, H-D lower triple tree wind deflector and a 7" Fastaire flip (re-curve) windshield. Made a tremendous difference. You couldn't pay me to add those fork mounted deflectors.

Quick Reply: Alternative to Fugly Fangs - Fork Wind Deflectors