Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brake Switch Failed, Cleaning It Helped

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 07:12 PM
AussieDog
Road Master
Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Front Brake Switch Failed, Cleaning It Helped

On a recent tour I realized my front brake switch wasn't working. Tapped the front brake several times to turn off the cruise control, and it didn't turn off. Stopped at a rest stop and asked a guy to see if my brake lights came on when I tapped the front lever - no! Kind of a critical thing for me as I rarely use the foot brake pedal since I have the linked braking system. After reading the shop manual I was concerned I'd have to replace the whole right switchpack. I finally started disassembling things today. Opened the switchpack up and also removed the brake lever/master cylinder assembly. The brake switch and plunger isn't exactly a sealed unit. The plunger seemed to be sticking. Sprayed the thing down real good with electrical contact cleaner, then blew it out with a can of compressed air you use for computers, then sprayed in a little silicon lube. Seems to work good for now. I have a 2014 FLHTK and I assume over time it got some moisture or grit in the plunger assembly and it got sticky. Something to be aware of.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:14 PM
Wisenheimer16
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Thank you that is great information!

Old 06-08-2019, 02:02 AM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior

Received 1,076 Likes on 450 Posts

When mine did the same thing, cleaning helped for a couple weeks. It would then be intermittent even after cleaning a second time, and no brake light is dangerous. After it happened the second time I couldn’t order the replacement fast enough. I replaced with the lighted controls since they weren’t much more than the standard ones.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:21 AM
AussieDog
Road Master
Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboydoc
When mine did the same thing, cleaning helped for a couple weeks. It would then be intermittent even after cleaning a second time, and no brake light is dangerous. After it happened the second time I couldn’t order the replacement fast enough. I replaced with the lighted controls since they weren’t much more than the standard ones.
Crap! Thanks, I'll have to keep a close eye on it.