Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Half Helmet & Comms

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:45 AM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,237 Posts
Default Half Helmet & Comms

For those of you that ride with half helmets and use the voice communication capability of the Boom GTS, does it work very well? Specifically, phone calls, voice to text, talking to other riders - at speeds of 70MPH and above? Is wind noise a problem?

If it works for you, what are you using?

I'm planning a couple of long trips and if I decide to do this, I'd rather do it right the first time.

2019 SGS, no WHIM and no DIN plug at this time.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:08 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by 702
For those of you that ride with half helmets and use the voice communication capability of the Boom GTS, does it work very well? Specifically, phone calls, voice to text, talking to other riders - at speeds of 70MPH and above? Is wind noise a problem?

If it works for you, what are you using?

I'm planning a couple of long trips and if I decide to do this, I'd rather do it right the first time.

2019 SGS, no WHIM and no DIN plug at this time.
Installed a WHIM and CB module on my '19 SGS. If you don't install the WHIM, you defeat all of the features and functions you are questioning about.

I'm also using the H-D/Sena 30K headstest in Half Helmets for me and my passenger. Again, if you don't use the H-D proprioity headsets you will loose some of the sound quality.

Intercom between me and my lady on the back is good, but with the microphone being exposed we both get a lot of wind noise. OK for short trips, but not comfortable for long durations or when riding at interstate speeds.

CB communication between me and orhers in our group rides is good also, but I'm using a shorty antenna and reception distance is limited. Does not funtion well to talk with non bikes (truckers) on highway unless near the rigs.

I'm hard of hearing, so I listen to music through the headset speakers. For me this is better than listening to the bike speakers. However, the little lady in the box that gives the Nav directions is difficult to hear over the wind noise...this may be me because I do not use my hearing aids while riding.

I have not actually used the voice comands yet, or had a phone conversation on these headsets.

However, I also have a Shoei 3/4 J-Cruise with a Sena 10S headset which I use to bluetooth to my phone when I ride my Heritage. In the 3/4 helmet I can hear the music really well and have even had phone conversations and the person on the other end did not even know I was on my bike crusing over 50 MPH. However, I only have one set so I do not have intercom or Bike to Bike comunication. No wind noise at all.

I like riding with a half helmet but for quality sound reasons I am planning to get a set of matching Shoei 3/4 J-Cruise helmets to use them with these H-D/Sena 30K headsets.

Half helmets are nice, but for sound a 3/4 of FF helmet will give you much better quaility sound and a much more comfortable communication abiliity. SORRY!

The following users liked this post:
2K10FBLO (06-18-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 05:08 PM
Grand HDF Member

Thanks Frank. I can install either a WHIM or a DIN, but if I can't use the voice functions with a half helmet I won't bother with either method. My head boils inside a full face helmet here in the summer, so I'll be sticking with a half helmet. I have CarPlay working, and enjoy the limited function I do have. I'm late to the party on this technology. I never gave a crap about any of this on a MC, but the days of putting a nickel in a pay phone when I feel like it are over.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:19 AM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't know if any helmet is bearable in Vegas heat or other similar environment but I bought a "Shark Evo One 2" helmet which is a modular and works great with comms. The helmet chin bar swings all the way to the back of the helmet and clicks into a stopped/locked position which is easily released when you want to close up the helmet if the weather gets bad. It's a great convertible helmet, you don't have to stop to move the chin bar from front to back or vice-versa. I've worn this helmet at 103 degrees and my head doesn't get soaked with sweat. The helmet has functional vents too. I have Sena 20 and it works great except with my iPhone I listen to music I have loaded on my phone which "pairs" with the Sena and the sound quality is great except when the phone rings or you ask Siri a question it gets REALLY effing loud. The volume can be adjusted when necessary of course with a spin of the dial on the Sena. Phone calls and voice texts haven't been a problem, works fine with helmet open at about 50 mph, higher speeds you pull the chin bar in front and close the visor. The chin bar is a simple one hand operation, no need to stop. Not sure if that's a setting I have to adjust, I'm not a tech pro. Shark has the same style helmet but with it's own comms designed for the helmet. Not sure if it's made by Sena or if the quality is as good as Sena. Because I already bought the one helmet, I didn't research the newer style with the comms designed for it because I found the newer style a year after buying the one I have. Sorry if this sounds like a commercial for their helmet, it's not. I just thought I'd pass along the info to people thinking about 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, full helmets.

Last edited by TerryMcQ; 06-17-2019 at 06:24 AM. Reason: additional info
The following 2 users liked this post by TerryMcQ:
2K10FBLO (06-18-2019), 702 (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 07:24 AM
Old Sport
Club Member

Received 1,361 Likes on 599 Posts

I just went through this process. Settled on an LS2 half-helmet with a SENA 20S clamp/boom-mic mount. I had previously been using the unit in a FF in order to communicate with my son when we ride together.

I tried a few different half-helmets specifically for this set-up. It works great with the LS2 for me - mount, speaker placement, wiring-options, etc.. The VOX feature works well though overall quality is better behind a bit of wind protection. I was out earlier in the day with the stock windshield using the intercom function with my son. Was fine but switched over to a 7" Freedom Shield in the afternoon and it quieted things down quite a bit.

We did not get on the interstate, but intercom conversation between bikes at 50~60mph was fine - both ways. Telephone call @ 50mph was much better than expected (I hadn't used the phone feature much at all - this was actually a "test call" to my wife).

I do not have it paired to the bike WHIM; only paired to my iPhone. The SENA works real well - love that it manages / maintains volume levels separately across music, intercom, etc..

Last edited by Old Sport; 06-17-2019 at 07:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
2K10FBLO (06-18-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 09:25 AM
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Old Sport
I do not have it paired to the bike WHIM; .
Did you try it with the WHIM and didn't work well or perhaps didn't like its performance?

I'm trying to determine if the WHIM sucks as bad as the reviews show on the HD website.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:39 PM
Old Sport
Club Member

Received 1,361 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by 702
Did you try it with the WHIM and didn't work well or perhaps didn't like its performance?

I'm trying to determine if the WHIM sucks as bad as the reviews show on the HD website.
It just became complicated and I lost patience trying to get the bike, the phone and other SENAs playing nice together. With my iPhone paired to the headset, I essentially had everything I needed. Also, the SENA intercom capability is great, so I did not feel the need to run it through the bike at all.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:56 PM
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Old Sport
It just became complicated and I lost patience trying to get the bike, the phone and other SENAs playing nice together. With my iPhone paired to the headset, I essentially had everything I needed. Also, the SENA intercom capability is great, so I did not feel the need to run it through the bike at all.
Copy that, thanks.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:13 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,259 Likes on 6,015 Posts

My riding buddy and I have the Cardo Packtalk Bold.... I have both half helmet and a 3//4 helmet. I had the unit set up on my half helmet and used earbuds rather than try to use the speakers on it. I am hard of hearing, wear hearing aids (not while riding) and use an Ipod on trips. We had a short 50 mile ride couple weeks ago and finally got to use the Cardo system. I had music going and we could converse back and forth. With the ear buds, it is a tad bit PITA to get set up, but once you get used to it, it's not bad. In all reality, half helmet, Cardo, earbud, the system worked well. I felt i could hear as well with this as through my i-pod. Now i have no intent to use the phone other than music. I do not plan or intend to make or take phone calls on the road. Strictly music and voice comm only. I also do not have the WHIM or any other harley system.
I also set this up with my 3/4 helmet. I found i had misplaced one of the helmet speakers so i ordered a pair on line. They came in this morning, so i put these into my helmet and did all the hook up/down load stuff, and in the house it works with both radio and music. I plan to try it out tomorrow on the bike to see how the sound quality is. I like the mic set up better on the 3/4 than the half. But as long as we can talk back and forth and i can hear/play my music, I'm happy!

Old 06-17-2019, 04:37 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 215 Posts

We use Sena SMH-10’s on a HJC IS Cruiser’s. The ear pods/speakers are under the liner, and I have them extending down as low as they can. The IS Cruiser is a little longer than most half helmets so this works great for me. Prior to getting this helmet, I used ear pouches that stuck between the liner and the shell on my old Fulmer HD Half helmet. Depending on your half helmet, they are a pretty cheap way to go. I got them on amazon for $8 a set.

I have pretty adequate wind management so no real issues with wind noise from my end, but when my wife removes her shield, and fangs, the wind noise on the boom mic makes it hard to hear her at highway speeds. She has learned where to block the wind from and that has helped.

Quick Reply: Half Helmet & Comms