Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best practices for cleaning and protecting black bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 03:35 PM
Malleck
Advanced
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian
I did some research on this product. Sounds like it is pretty good. I was looking at their site and the opti seal you mentioned. It says you should use the polish before this sealant. It sounds like the sealant will seal in any swirls or imperfections if you don't polish first. What are your thoughts on this?
Yes you should do any paint corrections.
However the great thing is that this stuff is easy to remove. Just use a 50/50 isopropyl alcohol water mix and wipe it down. Then just reapply.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:02 PM
Canadian
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Malleck
Once again I'm going to sing the praises of ONR.
Optimum No Rinse has been an absolute life saver for me and my black 2015 Road King.
I use the green ONR with the built in wax, the Optimum Hyper Seal every other wash, HIGH QUALITY microfiber mitts and drying towels, and I never re-wet a wash mitt. I toss the one I was using to the side and grab a fresh one. Especially important for me since I live near the beach and there is sand EVERYWHERE around here.
Wash time is usually 15 minutes. When I apply hyper seal add about 5 minutes.
About once a month on a rainy day I do a long detail and remove the bags, seat, etc. to get to the tight spaces.

Seriously, go watch some of the videos on YouTube about this stuff. It's amazing.
Also, what happens if this cleaner that has wax in it gets on the black exhaust or motor. Is that bad due to the heat? Will the wax cause discoloration?

Old 06-26-2019, 04:04 PM
Malleck
Advanced
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Also, what happens if this cleaner that has wax in it gets on the black exhaust or motor. Is that bad due to the heat? Will the wax cause discoloration?
It will do nothing. It is completely safe.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:33 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Last black Harley I had was an '05 Night Train that I bought new. I would wax & polish the paint, leave it in the garage under a cover, and a couple hours later it was filthy. So no more black vehicles for me.
White bikes matter!
I also had an 05 Night Train that I loved but got so tired of cleaning it all the time. Instead of white, I went Pewter Pearl on the next bike. Now when I feel it needs a bath, I take it to my Indy and pay him a couple of hundred to wash it and he throws in a free tire while it's there.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:14 PM
Canadian
Cruiser

I just ordered some of that ONR stuff. I'll report back to confirm how well it works.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I knew I was asking for trouble when I got an all black bike. My truck is white and I rarely clean it. I just couldn't pass up going all black on the road king haha

The following users liked this post:
Ryan David (07-14-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:22 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,143 Likes on 765 Posts

Many ways to use a rinses wash. Watch some different ways to use it and use the one you like the best. Wash media and drying towels are super important. spend the money and get high quality ones. Stay away from the auto parts store and walmart crap

Old 06-26-2019, 11:24 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 905 Posts

Hello, I have a 2019 road king special in vivid black. So pretty much everything is black, paint exhaust, and engine.

Just got caught in the rain haha

Can somone point me towards some good threads or info about cleaning and protecting these parts?

Ive read on other places that some people don't actually wash the bike very often with water. They use other procuts to just wipe it down for day to day maintenance.

I've heard a cheap small leaf blower for drying if you do actually use water since the drying with a microfiber cloth can cause swirls.

I had someone tell me that there is a special protective clear coat that can be applied by special shops.

Also, what would be the best for protection. I think most people have seen the big marketing campaign for this F11 product but I've also seen tests that show the standard wax is still the best.

Thanks
I am just a poor dumb *** hillbilly redneck. My newest bike is a 2007 Ultra I bought off of ebay. I am just wondering. This is a new 2019 you are speaking of? Bought new from dealer? Why not go to dealer for this dilemma that you are confronted with? I am sure that they would be more than happy to help you. Just saying.

Last edited by OLD 96; 06-26-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:02 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

Check out some detailing forums, Lots of great stuff out there, have to pick the right LSP for you.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:04 AM
Canadian
Cruiser

Originally Posted by OLD 96
I am just a poor dumb *** hillbilly redneck. My newest bike is a 2007 Ultra I bought off of ebay. I am just wondering. This is a new 2019 you are speaking of? Bought new from dealer? Why not go to dealer for this dilemma that you are confronted with? I am sure that they would be more than happy to help you. Just saying.
I spent enough money on harley branded parts since they do make high quality parts for the bike. In my opinion, paint is still paint so I think the aftermarket sector will have equal, if not better cleaning products and techniques. The dealer will just point me towards harley branded cleaning products which are probably overpriced. It reminds me of this post I saw

The following users liked this post:
Sorce (07-14-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 12:50 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

Quick Reply: Best practices for cleaning and protecting black bike