Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from HD touring to Pan America style bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 12:37 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,310 Likes on 11,157 Posts

Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
For the last several months, I have been contemplating dumping my 900 pound 2016 ultra limited and going to the other touring style bike - like the new one coming out from HD this summer.
For me the (well one of the issues) challenge is seat height. The ultra limited low I have fits me and my 29 inseam pretty well.
But my wife has ridden with me less and less the last two years and the need for "her" comfort has lessened a lot. The guys at the local metric dealership (Yamaha/Susuki/Royal Enfeld/Benelli) once showed me a Suzuki Dual Sport and they said they could easily get seat height down to 30 inches or so.
Have any of you touring riders made the switch or added one of these dual sport bikes to your collection and if so what do you think of them for both running around town and regional touring?
If you are referring to the Pan Am, I wouldn’t call that a touring Bike. Although, I won’t be switching to it, or adding it to my garage, I’m excited to see and try it. I hope their rental partners rent it.

Old 03-22-2021, 12:54 PM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
Man, when you go ridin' you don't mess around, do YOU? LOL! You might wanna re-think that dual sport thing! ROFL
I don't drink, so not checking out every watering hole along my routes for one. Plus, I honestly like the feel of the open road. OK with the twisties, but long straight runs are a sure way to unwind. We have the Three Sisters not too far from us, plus it's only 300 miles are so to hit far west Texas and the Big Bend and Davis Mountains. Lot of open stretches out there to to enjoy and pour the miles on.
The closest I have ridden to a dual sport or adventure touring of whatever would be a BMW RS several years ago. It was the loaner bike at the dealership where I kept my Yamaha Maxim 650 serviced. Did not like the riding style, but it was more sport.
I play around on an old CL350, but that is OK for around town and very, very short jaunts into the outer areas. I have considered dropping down to a softtail or heritage classic, but not much weight savings there.
I don't have the "space" to keep another full sized bike. I can store my CL350 in my store room.
This weekend I chatted with a KTS rider who was about my height and age. He suggested the KTS 890.
Pretty sure wife will raise hell in any event - she likes that ultra limited comfort for the very few miles she does with me.

The following users liked this post:
TexasD (04-17-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 04:09 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

I have not seen a whole lot about the specs - variable seat height adjustments would be nice if they get down to my level - but guessing they can't get to the seat height of my ultra limited low - which has been a great bike. It's just that age 61, I am tired of the weight (mine and the bike's) when maneuvering, but would like to make 350-500 mile runs in a day comfortably. The rest of the traditional harley line really doesn't save me much weight.
Keep in mind that being able to flat foot or even touch both feet down at the same time at a stop is not really necessary, especially given that the bikes you're considering are far lighter than your Ultra. I don't think you'd have a bit of trouble riding my Africa Twin, I know I don't because while taller it's also much narrower and lighter than my Road King. A Pan Am with the lowering option along with the seat in the low setting might be the lowest seat height adventure bike. BMW offers the R1250GS in a low frame version which gives up a little ground clearance while maintaining full leg room. In addition it's seat is height adjustable as well.

Last edited by Ridewva; 03-22-2021 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:28 PM
sabunimwil@gmail.com
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I started my riding career on a Honda xl600R dual sport. They are a blast to ride but I'm 6'1"and 280lbs. My friends said I looked like a circus bear riding a tricycle. Lol. I rode that bike for about a year before switching up to a sport bike. It had lots of ground clearance but flat foot at a stop was a challenge especially if the ground was wet.
I'm looking at the new moco bike mentioned earlier but I'm not giving up my 16 Ultra. I'll just add it to the stable.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:33 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

You guys are braver than I am.
I would never buy a completely brand new design motorcycle from Harley-Davidson. I mean, I love their bikes, as I've been riding them exclusively for over 30 years, but never would I buy a motorcycle from a company that never made anything like it and has a very poor reputation with any redesign, let alone a model that is totally foreign to them.
I wish them well.
Believe me, I hope I'll be wrong, but I doubt it.

Good luck to all who venture into those unchartered waters.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:03 PM
1185Wak#her18
Road Captain
Received 315 Likes on 188 Posts

I don't drink, so not checking out every watering hole along my routes for one. Plus, I honestly like the feel of the open road. OK with the twisties, but long straight runs are a sure way to unwind. We have the Three Sisters not too far from us, plus it's only 300 miles are so to hit far west Texas and the Big Bend and Davis Mountains. Lot of open stretches out there to to enjoy and pour the miles on.
The closest I have ridden to a dual sport or adventure touring of whatever would be a BMW RS several years ago. It was the loaner bike at the dealership where I kept my Yamaha Maxim 650 serviced. Did not like the riding style, but it was more sport.
I play around on an old CL350, but that is OK for around town and very, very short jaunts into the outer areas. I have considered dropping down to a softtail or heritage classic, but not much weight savings there.
I don't have the "space" to keep another full sized bike. I can store my CL350 in my store room.
This weekend I chatted with a KTS rider who was about my height and age. He suggested the KTS 890.
Pretty sure wife will raise hell in any event - she likes that ultra limited comfort for the very few miles she does with me.

I have a 2018 Heritage Classic. Low seat hieght and 170- 200 pounds less than your bike.

Might be the best of both worlds,

Take a test ride. You may just like it.

Keith

Old 03-23-2021, 06:53 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

The riding position was what got me to get rid of my Ducati Multistrada. I loved that bike but I couldn't tour on it. I would take the heritage out for a test ride. I know it doesn't seem significantly lighter on paper but I think you will find the "feel" lighter.

My opinion is like Dave's above in that I wouldn't purchase a first year run bike. The M8's were one thing but this is an entire new design/platform. It's your money though.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:21 AM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

The Pan America when you come to a stop actually drops down. I don't know how far down and if it's comparable to your Ultra Limited Low.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:48 AM
My14Ultra
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a 14 Ultra Limited and about 6 months ago picked up a 2020 KTM 1290 Super Adventure S. I had been looking at big adventure bikes since my 2018 trip to Sturgis. On the trip out on the Ultra the guys i was with got us a place to stay at one of their friends house---its was off the hiway about 6 miles of very rough gravel road full of pot holes. first time i really felt like i needed to stand on the Harley to run a road. Made it tho and then back out the next day. but really got me thinking about adventure bikes. The Harley for me is really hard to handle on those types of roads. The weight was very concerning also. when i got home - was able to rent a BMW GSA and a KTM 1290 Super adventure for a day at a time. I really enjoyed them. So just kep researching the Big adventure bikes--both the bikes weigh between 500 and 600 lbs --so i could save 300-400 lbs if i went that route. Went back to Sturgis in 2019 and talked to one of the Harley guys in the tent about the PAN Am coming out from Harley. So started looking at that. Then 2020 came and PanAM got delayed. I pulled the trigger on a great deal on the KTM in Sept. I kept the Harley and really like it for what it is. Love the sound thats for sure and its my first Harley. But Straight up performance vs the KTM is no contest--Suspension and HP. Cant Fairly compare the 2 I have upgraded the Shocks on the Harley to Fox Front and rear--they are day and night over the stock suspension but still no comparison to the KTM. I Cant wait to try out the PanAm when it hits the dealers to see how it compares to the KTM and test ride it. But as far as a touring bike the KTM is great--Not as much wind protection as the Harley and the Harley weight really helps in cross wind situations. But i plan on long distance touring this year on the KTM instead of the Harley- The BMW GSA 1250 has more Wind protection then the KTM if thats an issue. I would see if you can rent a few of the big adventure bikes and see how you like them--i was lucky since there is a place near me that i could rent both the BMW and the KTM. There quite a few of big touring adventure bikes out there. Good luck it was a hard decision for me. But im keeping the door open on the PanAm.

Old 03-23-2021, 10:13 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Former GS Adventure owner here. I currently have a Road Glide Ultra, and I have a deposit in on a Pan Am. At the moment, I'm planning on hanging on to the Roadie, but that's subject to change once I ride the PA.

I'm 6'2", my wife's 5'2". She swears that the GS/A was the most comfortable bike she's ever been on, and we rode that sucker to Utah and back. Adventure bikes make great tourers. They're lighter than a Touring Harley, much quicker, and ride better. The only swipe at them is low-speed handling with a passenger, but you get used to it.

The following 2 users liked this post by '05Train:
biglew55 (03-23-2021), Puglia10 (03-24-2021)

Quick Reply: Going from HD touring to Pan America style bike