Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 06:11 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,669 Likes on 5,196 Posts

There is a jumper many install that fools Apple car play into thinking it has a head set. You do not get full function as you would with a WHIM and a wireless head set. But some are happy with the jumper.

Old 06-26-2021, 01:35 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,713 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
There is a jumper many install that fools Apple car play into thinking it has a head set. You do not get full function as you would with a WHIM and a wireless head set. But some are happy with the jumper.
I've installed the jumper and the dealer flashed it for a WHIM for me, but... no CarPlay. Do I need to unlash the WHIM part?

Old 06-26-2021, 01:46 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,831 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
Dumb question - do you need to flash the radio to tell it there's a whim for this to work? When engaged, where does it show up (CarPlay)?
Nope, no flashing required.

My bike has been back to the dealership for nearly a month total with this Carplay installed, it doesn't show up on any scanners or throw any flags in their software. Unless a tech hooked up their iphone to my bike they won't have any idea its there.

The following users liked this post:
QNman (06-28-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 01:50 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

I've installed the jumper and the dealer flashed it for a WHIM for me, but... no CarPlay. Do I need to unlash the WHIM part?
The dealer would have needed to remove the jumper in order to connect the WHIM; they both need/use the same connector. It's a one or the other deal. If you have the WHIM installed, CP should work if you connect an active BT headset.
When activated, the CarPlay icon replaces the Phone icon on the home screen.

QNman (06-28-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 09:58 AM
sped
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

2020 Road Glide Standard with upgraded Boom audio.

You guys are going to hate this. When I bought my bike I had them install the com port on the bike. I ordered a J&M headset, and eventually had the dealer install the tank console from a RGU to my bike. All in I'm likely in for under $500 mainly because I just liked the look of the console com port which added $200 and change to the setup.

The downside is you are tied to the bike which with my riding background isn't an issue coming from a long line of touring bikes with communications and audio setup. The upside is that I roll my bike out of the drive, plug in my phone, and crank it up. As my 119 is warming up I strap my helmet, and put on my gloves all the while listening to any of three streaming services, or my music on my phone, (or the local radio..ugh!) via Apple CarPlay, all without ever taking my hands off the grips. It works every time...every time. While riding I can (if I choose to) answer calls from home (always) or someone else (occasionally) or respond to a text that is read by my girl SIRI...again without taking my hands off the grips.

Did I mention that it works every time...every freaking time? Cause it does.

I'm being pretty sarcastic here as I know the cord will be a deal killer for some. I loved my Sena and Cardo stuff, but I never worry about forgetting to charge my J&M.

Every time....

Old 07-06-2021, 10:12 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 622 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by sped

You guys are going to hate this. When I bought my bike I had them install the com port on the bike. I ordered a J&M headset, and eventually had the dealer install the tank console from a RGU to my bike. All in I'm likely in for under $500 mainly because I just liked the look of the console com port which added $200 and change to the setup.

The downside is you are tied to the bike which with my riding background isn't an issue coming from a long line of touring bikes with communications and audio setup. The upside is that I roll my bike out of the drive, plug in my phone, and crank it up. As my 119 is warming up I strap my helmet, and put on my gloves all the while listening to any of three streaming services, or my music on my phone, (or the local radio..ugh!) via Apple CarPlay, all without ever taking my hands off the grips. It works every time...every time. While riding I can (if I choose to) answer calls from home (always) or someone else (occasionally) or respond to a text that is read by my girl SIRI...again without taking my hands off the grips.

I'm being pretty sarcastic here as I know the cord will be a deal killer for some. I loved my Sena and Cardo stuff, but I never worry about forgetting to charge my J&M.

Every time....

The KEY here is, you have a mic (headset) plugged in. This is how Apple wants it to work. Most guys don't want to be plugged in, or wireless with a WHIM...they want CarPlay to work without a mic in play.

Order66 (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 10:20 AM
sped
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by lefty33
The KEY here is, you have a mic (headset) plugged in. This is how Apple wants it to work. Most guys don't want to be plugged in, or wireless with a WHIM...they want CarPlay to work without a mic in play.
I know that's a deal killer for most of us. It's nice to have all the functions CarPlay has to offer. I'm fortunate that the cord doesn't bother me. Honestly I wouldn't mind going cordless and have considered the WHIM but it's hard for me to justify the cost especially with this setup working so well for me.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:27 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

yes, you need to have the dealer put is back to stock

QNman (07-07-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 10:31 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sped

Every time....

I do the same thing with my WHIM and Sena, except i can continue listening when i go in a take a **** or run into he garage because I forgot something, or ask the wife who also has her wireless headset. I just cant see having a cord, that would bug the heck out of me its 2021 hahhaa

sped (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 10:35 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by c_l_phillips72
Oh, I didn’t realize CarPlay wouldn’t work with a WHIM when a headset isn’t connected. Knowing Harley there’s probably another part that has to be purchased to make it work when a headset isn’t in use.

That’s a real bummer though. I’ve been thinking about buying a WHIM, and replacing my dual Cardo Packtalk Bold’s with Sena 50s’, but now I’m not so sure. I like to ride with my half helmet in the city and my full face with the headset on the highway.
just connect the headset and toss it in the glove box or saddle bag, problem solved

Quick Reply: Apple Carplay