Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Road King shakes rattles and rolls when highway driving...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:13 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: My Road King shakes rattles and rolls when highway driving...

Huh? I've got 14K on my RK and 90 percent is highway riding up to 100 mph and have never had this problem. The whole point of the windshield is for highway riding.

ORIGINAL: willett58

I am not a spoiler, but it is likely due to having a fork mounted wind screen. I experienced the same problem on my old Royal Star Venture. If it is windy the wind tends to take over the bike.
Try taking off the wind screen if it is attached. Good luck.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:41 AM
HDRoadKing007
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the feedback. I guess the best thing to do sincethebike isunder warranty is take it back and let them figure it out. I was just hoping it wasn't normal behavior for this bike. I've driven lighter sport bike that seemed to glide right along.

Hey it’s kind of like when the pilot of a small aircraft tells you its normal that a plane shakes and drops when fly overa mountain. Even if it were normal behavior; it’s not a comfortable feeling.

I'll let you know how it turns out......

Regards,

Bob

Old 08-10-2007, 10:53 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

ORIGINAL: HDRoadKing007

Thanks guys for the feedback. I guess the best thing to do sincethebike isunder warranty is take it back and let them figure it out. I was just hoping it wasn't normal behavior for this bike. I've driven lighter sport bike that seemed to glide right along.

Hey it’s kind of like when the pilot of a small aircraft tells you its normal that a plane shakes and drops when fly overa mountain. Even if it were normal behavior; it’s not a comfortable feeling.

I'll let you know how it turns out......

Regards,

Bob
It should be smooth. I had the same problem with my newly purchused 02 RKC. I was so uncomfortable with the way it handled above 65 that I got off the highway. I also was thinking that if this is the best it gets, I'm getting rid of it. After searching the forum about it, I started checking the easy stuff like tire pressure and found both tires were 15psi low. I aired up the tires, headed back on the hiway and it was smooth all they way up 85mph. I haven't gone faster then that yet, but I'm not uncomfortable about doing it now. Find the problem and you will be happy when it is fixed.

Beary

Old 08-10-2007, 05:38 PM
genedjr
Road Captain

OK a number of things that have bit me:
- Tire pressure - check it youself
- Forkneck bearings - there is a simple test in the service manual.
- wheel balance
- if you have wire wheels, check the spokes. taping with a screwdriver should produce a slight "ring" in each and every spoke.
- wheel alignment (front and rear)

If its windy, the windshield will make the front end dance around a bit, but not to the extent you are talking about.
With only 1000 miles, my guesses are:
- Tire pressure
- Fork neck bearing adjustment

An interesting cause may be the front wheel was put on backwards. Check the arrow on the tire for correct rotation direction. If this is the problem, that tire MUST be replaced. AND kill the idiot that did it cause he put your very life at risk.

...gene

Old 08-10-2007, 06:20 PM
harleyrobert4
Cruiser

I had a simular problem after my 1k service, I would wobble all over the lane. I decided to check the tire pressure and found the front VERY low. Ithink they checked my tire pressure and let a bunch out. ANYWAY I filled my tires and now the bike runs great. Please keep us advided to the problem.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:42 PM
gene01
Road Captain

check the air pressure in both tire first, check the bearings at the triple tree second, then check the swing arm, my bet is tires are underinflated.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:20 PM
dmax
Intermediate

I've put 35000 on my 04 rkclassic and have never had these issues. If you have laced wheels make sure you dont have any broken spokes

Old 08-12-2007, 09:26 AM
HDRoadKing007
Cruiser

Okguys after 4 hours on aSaturday atthe Harley dealershipand an$81 dollarservicechargethe bike now glides along the highway at 85mph.The Mechanic needed to readjust the fork nut and now its fine![:-]I guess the addedweight from the fairing through the balance off the front-end a bit.

Oh another note I saw the first 2008 Road Glide roll off the lot yesterday.....sweet machine. The proudowner toldme thesales guyswere not giving the go ahead to sell the 08 yet but becauseof hiscontinued business they made an exception.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:43 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a good idea to check air pressure every time you ride even though it's a bitch on a bagger rear.

In the past month, Icaught two punctures I would not have known about and maybe crashed the bike. Did take a severe hit in the wallet however.

Also you can't trust the dealer to get put in the correct pressure. I have found both over and under inflation just after service.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:51 AM
HDRoadKing007
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: TampaJim

It's a good idea to check air pressure every time you ride even though it's a bitch on a bagger rear.

In the past month, Icaught two punctures I would not have known about and maybe crashed the bike. Did take a severe hit in the wallet however.

Also you can't trust the dealer to get put in the correct pressure. I have found both over and under inflation just after service.
That's a good idea.... My biggest fear is driving at highway speed and having a tire blowout. Especially with the bagger and the wifey on back. Man this would be a bad day. I'll throw my tire pressure gauge in thebag.

ThanksTampaJim