Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batwing with no windshield or almost without

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 11:59 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,823 Likes on 2,493 Posts
Default Batwing with no windshield or almost without

I picked up an 06 electraglide yesterday fully anticipating the short smoked windshield would give me grief, it does. My head was vibrating at 50 mph. The top of it is probably about the height of my chin so I put the original one on that came with the bike and the top of it is right in my line of site which makes it taller than the suggested nose level. I'll check with a level to see where its at but its higher than the how-to videos I've watched. I can feel the turbulence at the top rear of my helmet so If I move forward but the same height I get away from that dirty air.

Is a wider than stock windshield the answer without increasing height? One with a recurve maybe? Or one thats so trimmed down that it looks like decorative trim on the fairing but puts my entire helmet in the wind? This is my first bike with a fairing or even a windshield, I like the idea of it extending my riding season but need to sort out this bobblehead problem. Clearly the rule of thumb height isn't the answer, at least for me. The air coming up from below isn't what im feeling at the top sides of my helmets and no air coming up under my FF helmet.

Top Answer

04-09-2023, 08:01 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,895 Likes on 4,676 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
Its a prefrence and I realize most are the opposite of me, and like looking over. I have rode around the country and like big windshields. Only time it was really an issue was coming bike from artic circle at 2am, was light out but was dewey.

Riding at night with the dew, is why I decided to try a lower windshield. I keep it clean. Will also use MqQuires 10 17 once in a great while. Should do it more on 22 year old wind shield, or get a new one.

I suspect someone's height doesn't completely effect it, it is trunk height. Not sure how much that varies. Freedom shields says take painters tape and put it across yours and go for a ride. That seemed to work for me.

For me personally, it also comes down to if slouching a little or bolt upright. My last bike came with two shorts. I put the other on yesterday. I am kinda below in my normal riding, But can sit bolt up right and really get over it. That is probably my personal preference.
This is your post. I asked you to expand on this and show a pic, then you turn around a say you never said then throw an accusation about my being in a Harley engine? You really are an idiot! I try to be nice, but you're just plain f^$%ing stupid! And it's "Meguiar's" you uneducated over-spoken dipshit.

Old 04-07-2023, 12:33 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,815 Likes on 2,735 Posts

A recurve doesn’t require the height that a “standard” windshield does to get that air over your helmet.

The following 3 users liked this post by gonemad:
07UltraGuy (04-08-2023), HarleyHappy (04-11-2023), hellonewman (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 12:45 PM
Roeville
Advanced
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

I run a 4" recurve and air goes over my helmet. How tall you are will play a role in this though.

Old 04-07-2023, 12:46 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,885 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Originally Posted by gonemad
A recurve doesn’t require the height that a “standard” windshield does to get that air over your helmet.
Ya maybe, but still not as good as super tall windshield.

I put freedom shield, and spending most of my years behind a big windshield. My issue was riding at night in summer, and it getting fogged up and not being able to see. I lean to, it is not as warm. The rain tears up my eyes, when its raining hard. Granted hard rain is a problem no mater what.

I should probably put the factory on for spring. Where you don't get those late night dews But I am also lazy.

I lean towards these short windshields are just cute.

Old 04-07-2023, 01:00 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,049 Likes on 2,622 Posts

I like the curved windshields from Klock Werks, the curve helps a lot. I prefer the windshield to be below my eye line, I do not like looking through the windshield. It is going to take some trial and error to find the one that works for you.

The following users liked this post:
hellonewman (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 01:04 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,885 Likes on 1,484 Posts

I just put the taller windshield on new to me bike that had around 6-8" no logo, with a harley logoed windshield. Which is still shorter than my 07s. So not sure if factory or acces. I am probably going to leave the freedom shield on other bike. That one has thread repair plug in fairing. Probably wouldn't disturb it. But I am not going. Plus that fairing hit a deer, and I still wonder about hidden cracks.

The medium ones are nice in summer, for dewey lights. But taller is better for warmth

Old 04-07-2023, 01:07 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,353 Likes on 11,172 Posts

Harley makes a recurve that has extended sides. I had one on my TriGlide and it worked great. Most dealers have trial ones that you can test out before buying,

hellonewman (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 01:50 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,895 Likes on 4,676 Posts

You might try asking your local dealers of they have demo Klock Werks shields. Mine did. I ended up with a 6.5 (it has the recurve) and it eliminated the buffeting completely. It hit about my mouth when I sat on it.

The point of the windshiwindshield clean the turbulent air and deflect it over your head. You should find a windshield, ideally, you look over, not through.

The tall windshields are not the best option anymore. Technology and wind tunnel testing has come a long way. The taller windshield can create a vacuum behind you, it's still turbulent air, just at your back. Without a back rest, I have found it pulled on me over many miles.

Your height, seat, and positioning back from the fairing can all play a part in this. Worst case, measure the top of the fairing to where the line of your top lip, or mustache, would be. That would be the ideal size for you and your configuration.

Best of luck.

The following 5 users liked this post by NoRegerts:
Cosmic Razorback (04-07-2023), HarleyHappy (04-11-2023), M Oclaf (04-09-2023), NorthWestern (04-07-2023), OkieBill (04-09-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 02:57 PM
Steelie68
Tourer
Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

You’re height is also a pretty big factor in determining what windshield works best for you. Try a freedom shield and if you don’t like it, they will send you another one until you find the one that works for you. They encourage you to try it out. Just don’t remove the protective film from it until you find the one that you want to keep. Went from the stock streetglide windshield to a 7”. Night and day difference.

OkieBill (04-09-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 03:18 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,823 Likes on 2,493 Posts

Thanks for the input Gentlemen, I'll see if the dealer has demo's I can try. The taller shield causing a vacuum behind me isn't something I considered and that could be whats happening. The taller shield is better than the short one other than looks but different how the turbulence feels.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Batwing with no windshield or almost without