Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Installing forward and rear detachable docking kits (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/143037-installing-forward-and-rear-detachable-docking-kits.html)

sifularson 08-22-2007 12:26 AM

Installing forward and rear detachable docking kits

Installed both kits tonight. Now I can put on the sissy bar/backrest for my wife. This goes on the forward docking position. I also installed the rear kit so I can put on a tour pak rack. I have the rack but I'm waiting to get the tour pak. They are expensive as everyone knows. The install took some time and as we all know, the Harley directions must have been written by a desk jocky. I ended up using a combination of the directions and a very good set of pictures and directions that I found here. (Thanks). I am attaching a few pictures of the sissy bar and the rack. I actually installed both at the same time. I may use the rack to carry some gear until I get my (gold plated) tour pak.

One thing to note for fellow RG riders: the antenna will not go back in the stock location. I had to move it down and space it out to get it back on. No big deal because it's coming off soon in favor of a hidden fairing antenna.

Another note: You will end up with a pile of extra bolts, spacers, and washers when you are done. It's too bad that I had to pay for them. The kits fit several models so they include hardware for all of them.

If anyone is looking to do this job, you must be patient. It also helps to have a good set of tools. If you have neither, the best bet would be to let the dealer install it for you. I was a mechanic for 20 years (until 99) so I have both. Well at least I have the tools . . .;)

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/6230EFA9E6964EC88EC2063753FB5AFA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/9FD9144FC46B4DBD83D910BC10D69164.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/6E0C89A8A74C4DC581E7301451F723EC.jpg[/IMG]

cdradar 08-22-2007 03:14 AM

RE: Installed forward and rear detachable docking kits

When I did the docking kit install on my 07 Road King Classic, I struggled with fitment for a couple of hours, after removing the stock hardware everything shifted and the new bolts would not align. This was on the side stand. I reached my frustration level and had a couple of beers. I went back out to the garage and put the bike on the lift, brought it up just high enough so the tires were still touching the floor. After relieving the stresses, all went together like a dream. This may help those who do it themselves.

s8norr 08-22-2007 04:19 AM

I'm curious as to how long it took ya. We had a post string going the other day on the forumabout putting the quick detach sissy bar on and I think the going record time was just under 4 hours. We were looking intomaking a vest patch for those who have suffered through the job.:D Great pics though, looks like you got it figured out. Enjoy!

-Nick

Edmo 08-22-2007 06:19 AM

I remember mine from about a year ago. PITA!!! I think it took me about 5 hours..

Edmo

jharanin 08-22-2007 06:37 AM

I had the same experience...as soon as I took out the OE bolts everything shifted. It took me a couple of tries and an extra set of hands but finally got it all together. Wish I had thought about using the jack then...

ORIGINAL: cdradar

When I did the docking kit install on my 07 Road King Classic, I struggled with fitment for a couple of hours, after removing the stock hardware everything shifted and the new bolts would not align. This was on the side stand. I reached my frustration level and had a couple of beers. I went back out to the garage and put the bike on the lift, brought it up just high enough so the tires were still touching the floor. After relieving the stresses, all went together like a dream. This may help those who do it themselves.

bowhnter7 08-22-2007 06:51 AM

How did you like the nice greenish color of the mounting plate. Man as much as you pay for that stuff you would at least think it would be powder coated black or maybe even chomed.

I just put mine on a few weeks ago, I think it took about 3 1/2 beers worth of time.

I am Jerry 08-22-2007 07:05 AM

Alignment was my problem too, well other than the instructions being wrong from step one. I remember it said to put the lettering to the outside on both plates. That couldn't be done so I knew I was in for a treat. Took me a little over 3 cuss filled hours and a couple of trips in the house to get what's her nameto help me.

HarlyFan 08-22-2007 07:20 AM

ORIGINAL: sifularson

Installed both kits tonight. Now I can put on the sissy bar/backrest for my wife. This goes on the forward docking position. I also installed the rear kit so I can put on a tour pak rack. I have the rack but I'm waiting to get the tour pak. They are expensive as everyone knows. The install took some time and as we all know, the Harley directions must have been written by a desk jocky. I ended up using a combination of the directions and a very good set of pictures and directions that I found here. (Thanks). I am attaching a few pictures of the sissy bar and the rack. I actually installed both at the same time. I may use the rack to carry some gear until I get my (gold plated) tour pak.

One thing to note for fellow RG riders: the antenna will not go back in the stock location. I had to move it down and space it out to get it back on. No big deal because it's coming off soon in favor of a hidden fairing antenna.

Another note: You will end up with a pile of extra bolts, spacers, and washers when you are done. It's too bad that I had to pay for them. The kits fit several models so they include hardware for all of them.

If anyone is looking to do this job, you must be patient. It also helps to have a good set of tools. If you have neither, the best bet would be to let the dealer install it for you. I was a mechanic for 20 years (until 99) so I have both. Well at least I have the tools . . .;)

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/6230EFA9E6964EC88EC2063753FB5AFA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/9FD9144FC46B4DBD83D910BC10D69164.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/6E0C89A8A74C4DC581E7301451F723EC.jpg[/IMG]

I have a couple of questions regarding your installation. I have a 08 FLHX ordered and I am doing the front detach for a backrest and the rear for a Chopped Tour-pak. I am trying to achieve the best of all worlds HA-HA. I want the CLEAN look when I dont want to use either of them can you post a pic without either of the detachables. I have never used detachables so I am not really familiar with the hardware. The last of your pics I assume is the base plate for your King Tour-pak.

ClutchCargopa 08-22-2007 07:28 AM

I performed this install a few months ago, the easiest way is to put the bike on a jack with the wheels just touching and use another floor jack under the pipes(with a rag on the floor jack to stop from scratching the pipes.)Jack up the floor jack to releave the preasure of the assemblies and the kit goes in like a dream. It appears there is a lot of stress on the fasteners from the factory at the fender and the pipe brackets attached. Until I found this process I was already into it for 4 hours. With this method I think an hour would be enough time.
By the way I agree the bracket should be powder coated or at an extra cost chromed. I am going to disassemble my docking kit this winter and get the bracket plated. I noted my bracket is already rusting and the bike has never been in the rain. The rust is coming from washing down the bike.

sifularson 08-22-2007 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: s8norr

I'm curious as to how long it took ya. We had a post string going the other day on the forumabout putting the quick detach sissy bar on and I think the going record time was just under 4 hours. We were looking intomaking a vest patch for those who have suffered through the job.:D Great pics though, looks like you got it figured out. Enjoy!

-Nick
It took me 3 hours. That does not count the time reading the directions (yes I did). I also used the directions and pictures from this forum for mounting the front kit. (can't find them now. Anyone?). I did not have pictures for the rear kit. The toughest thing is the alignment issue once you take out the bolts. I know this so I tried taking the bolts out ONE AT A TIME. This worked fairly well. I also used one of my Snap-on alignment bars to get the holes lines back up. Seemed to be more of an issue on the high side. I will take some better pics later of the mounts with the saddlebags and sissy bar off so you can see how it all looks installed. This will help those who try this in the future, I'm sure.

As far as a patch goes . . . Anyone who does this probably deserves one. It is a PITA job. I kinda liked it though. A challenge. Me against Harley. I won!
Steve