Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FOBO 2 tire monitoring system

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 01:15 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 990 Likes on 675 Posts

you can get the t stems here
https://my-fobo.com/accessories
I used their t-stems for the original FOBO's and then the FOBO 2's when I changed to them... so I always had metal stems.

Old 05-17-2023, 04:13 PM
maxxym
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,123 Posts

So now, after all these posts about the rubber stems, now I am being paranoid. I am leaving for a long trip tomorrow. Should I remove the damn things and put normal caps on?

I mean, tons of people are using them on factory stems. 🤷🏼‍♂️. But, since I didn’t have them for long, I don’t know now if I should be on a cautious side and not use them for a 1000+ miles trip?

Old 05-17-2023, 04:23 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Good system. If the kit comes with metal valve stems, use them. If not, get them.
Don't attach these to rubber valve stems as there are reports that they will eventually cause them to fail which is pretty dangerous. Great system otherwise.
I’ve got around 5000 miles on the trailer tires and about 2000 on the Freewheeler tires both with rubber valve stems and haven’t had any issues.
My Heritage has metal stems as it has upgraded tubes installed so those obviously haven’t been an issue.

All kits however come with metal valve stems so next tire change I’ll be installing them as metal is obviously the better way to go.

Old 05-17-2023, 04:26 PM
maxxym
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,123 Posts

I decided to remove them for my trip. I didn’t have much riding with them to have confidence. I guess they will have to wait to be used but at least I have them.

They can wait until end of my trip. Don’t need any drama 😂

I have to say, these things are like temp gauge on my power vision. Constantly checking them. I have no idea why I would check my bike’s tire pressure during my morning porcelain throne session, but I did…and I liked it.

Last edited by maxxym; 05-17-2023 at 04:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ssitruc (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 05:04 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 990 Likes on 675 Posts

When I switched from the originals to the FOBO2s my brother stuck the old ones on his bike's short rubber valve stem and rode it like that for about a year without incident. Including trips from Oklahoma to Arkansas for several days and to S Dakota for 10 days... I know a girl running them on her car for a couple years now without issue too. You'd probably be fine, but....

Old 05-17-2023, 06:25 PM
Tjroadie
Cruiser
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Love the Fobo tpms 4 years 3 sets of tires on 17 flhtk with original stubby rubber valves. Personally don't trust the metal valves they came with. The valve caps weigh less than some brass dice caps I had for years. Pretty sure it's just for liability reasons. But that's my opinion.

elPrez (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 07:03 PM
2K10FBLO
Road Master
Received 555 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxym
I decided to remove them for my trip. I didn’t have much riding with them to have confidence. I guess they will have to wait to be used but at least I have them.

They can wait until end of my trip. Don’t need any drama 😂

I have to say, these things are like temp gauge on my power vision. Constantly checking them. I have no idea why I would check my bike’s tire pressure during my morning porcelain throne session, but I did…and I liked it.
I'm sure you'd be fine with them on but I agree, since heading out on a trip and since you've only recently installed these, I'd have removed them as well. One less potential item to fail

Old 05-18-2023, 06:50 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 675 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Good system. If the kit comes with metal valve stems, use them. If not, get them.
Don't attach these to rubber valve stems as there are reports that they will eventually cause them to fail which is pretty dangerous. Great system otherwise.
Not true with the FOBO 2. They are light plastic, less weight than ordinary valve stems.

M Oclaf (05-18-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 07:02 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,248 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by 07UltraGuy
If you think the external sensors are better, then get the external sensors (SYKIK also has that option).
I know that I’ll replace tires often enough that I can simply swap them out (batteries or sensors) while the bike is down for the tire change.
No big deal to me.

I had a fellow complaining that his motorcycle tires only lasted 3 years. While his car tires lasted 7-8 years. I laughed and said I wear out my motorcycle tires in under 18 months. He was shocked. Apparently he trailers his bike everywhere instead of riding it, to preserve the value he said.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:05 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,248 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxym
So now, after all these posts about the rubber stems, now I am being paranoid. I am leaving for a long trip tomorrow. Should I remove the damn things and put normal caps on?

I mean, tons of people are using them on factory stems. 🤷🏼‍♂️. But, since I didn’t have them for long, I don’t know now if I should be on a cautious side and not use them for a 1000+ miles trip?
I change rubber valve stems when I change the tire. How old are your valve stems? If you do not know, or they are a few years old, you made the correct decision.

Quick Reply: FOBO 2 tire monitoring system