Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium Oil Temperature Sensor Position

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Premium Oil Temperature Sensor Position

As I said, the sending unit has been tested and a second one used and the infra red thermometer is also spot on. That temp needle does move, but has only gone as high as 115 and the thermometer confirmed that temp. The temp is on the cooled return oil line that has already gone through the radiator, that is why it is that low.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:40 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeepster

The adaptor is brass. you can get it at NAPA. It's a 3/8" to 1/8" pipe plug adaptor.
NAPA part #3220 x 6 x 2.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:38 PM
OnTheFence
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the Oil temp guage on my wish list. I am a little confused. According to the accessory book 07 and later require P/N 26133-07. What is this? I just assumed it was whatever was necessary toscrew the senderinto the pan.

Second question, does the HD cooler have a thermostat? If so, wouldn't 110 degree oil temp in 110 degree air make you think that the cooler is being bypassed all of the time?

Old 08-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior

The oil is 110 AFTER it goes through the cooler, not before.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

26133-07looks justlikethe oil cooler adapter, possably without the thermostat. Not needed if your going to go into the pan with the sensor.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:51 PM
OnTheFence
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Chicago Spike

The oil is 110 AFTER it goes through the cooler, not before.
So, when you read the note in the catalog. It says...
"Note when installed in combination with an oil cooler, guage will not read accurate tempature until the vehicle has reached operating temperature and the thermostat has opened."

I read that to mean, that the sensor is sitting in a position that circulating oil is not passing by until the thermostat is open. When at that point it would read accurately. So with that I guess I would be curious to know how you would actually know if the thermistat was even functional?

110 just seems like a very low number. I have seen a lot of posts where others are claiming 230 and up. Not sure whether those have coolers or not. That would have to be one very efficeint cooler to dump 230 degreeoil to ambient temperature. I've also read on other forums where some were seeing210-215 on3000-4000 mi trips out west with oil coolers installed.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:30 PM
rickxx
Tourer

maybe 110 C....i don't think it's 110 F. i've got an oil cooler....sensor at the oil pan and it runs right around 230 F.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:52 AM
Blacklion213
Cruiser

I am not a mechanic so what I say is only what I have witnessed. First of all the thermostat was checked and found OK. Secondly, we are talking about Fahrenheit not Centigrade/Celsius. The mechanic told me the gauge and sender/sensorare working just fine. The reason for the lower temps is because of the sender/sensor placement. I was just wondering if there is a better place to put the sender/sensor to reflect a closer (not exact) temperature for the oil. Today I drove from north of Seattle to the Oregon border and returned. On the trip the temps according to my gauge were around 110 degrees Fahrenheit when scootin' at 65 mph to 70 mph. But when I was stuck in creepy crawly traffic the gauge indicated 180 - 190 degrees Fahreheit. I know the temps aren't accurate, I just want the gauge to indicate a more accurate reading. At the 110 degree indications the scoot was like a normal Harley from my past experience, but at the 180 - 190 degree readings it was thigh burning, sweat pouring miserable. I would guess the 110 degree cooled oil is reflecting an actual pre-cooled oil of about 170 - 180 degrees and the 180 - 190 degree cooled oil is reflecting actual temps of about 240 - 250 degrees (just guessing). At the higher temps the scoot acted weird (extreme rough idle, pour acceleration, sloppy clutch engagement/disengagement). Is there an operating procedure of when to pull over and let the scoot cool off?

Old 08-24-2007, 06:30 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior

Come on, I am a tad smarter than this. I KNOW the difference between celcius and Fahrenheit, and I have a Fahrenheit gauge in there. The sensor is after the cooler, hence the 110 degree readings. If anyone wants to see this for themselves, just ride out to St Chuck Illinois and we'll go for a ride. But do it quick, as winter is coming and I'm going to the Dakota Digital gauges come winter and I will have their cylinder head temp gauge in place of the oil temp

Old 08-24-2007, 06:52 AM
Max96
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the sensor for the pan, works great and is super easy to install.

Quick Reply: Premium Oil Temperature Sensor Position