Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Late-Model Rear Brembo Caliper to 97-07 Bagger

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 08:03 PM
klammer76
Road Master
Received 258 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumpman
I believe you and I are of the same mind on this. Using the Brembo Caliper Bracket on the ‘01 swingarm should be pretty damn close to doing the swap on an ‘02-07 bike…so cutting the spacer to the specs mentioned above should get me pretty damn close as a starting point.

My rear wheel bearings are sealed, so that will also simplify things.

A lot of what I’m anticipating is dependent upon the parts arriving so I can verify measurements…but I have done this type of thing enough that I am reasonably confident. I just need to put tools on the current & new brackets so I can cut the spacer accurately.

The only ‘real’ concern I have at the moment is being able to press the bushing into the Brembo bracket. I’m hoping I can get that in there properly.
It's a big plus in my book that you are using the sealed bearings, that should help a lot as you said.

It's just a bit of measuring and mock up. Of course, it's easier to do with just the wheel and no tire. The right side Non ABS spacer is 25mm id. Might be possible to use one of these it that spacer. I actually had the current spacer I'm using machined a bit shorter than what I said earlier in order to use a 0.031shim to push the caliper to the left to center it directly centered on the rotor. I don't think it was worth it. That spacer is a chrome spacer from Drag Specialties. They have a good assortment as I recall. My 0.710 spacer is a machined down non ABS oem spacer. I also source a lot of stuff for projects from McMaster Carr. Sounds like you have tools and skills. I don't think you will have much of a problem with this.

Keep in mind, the rear rotor for the Brembo set up is slightly larger than the earlier model (just like the fronts that you did). I don't know there bolt pattern compatibility with what ever rear wheel you are running.

Old 04-20-2024, 08:11 PM
Harley_ish
Road Master
Received 487 Likes on 321 Posts

If he's using a sealed bearing harley rear, they're all the same bolt pattern & "spigot" OD

The following users liked this post:
klammer76 (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 08:21 PM
klammer76
Road Master
Received 258 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_ish
If he's using a sealed bearing harley rear, they're all the same bolt pattern & "spigot" OD
Got ya. Harley used a 9267 sealed bearing for 2000-2001 that was for a 3/4" axle. Didn't know if there was a wheel difference.

Old 04-20-2024, 08:27 PM
Harley_ish
Road Master

The only difference is that if it was an original 3/4" wheel the hub's center bore is usually smaller too. So if you wanted to use a 1" or 25mm bearing/sleeve, you need to enlarge the center bore also.

Old 04-20-2024, 08:43 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by klammer76
It's a big plus in my book that you are using the sealed bearings, that should help a lot as you said.

Keep in mind, the rear rotor for the Brembo set up is slightly larger than the earlier model (just like the fronts that you did). I don't know there bolt pattern compatibility with what ever rear wheel you are running.
Yep. I have a 13.8” rotor already here from a previous project. So that’s covered.

My concern about the bearing adapter/bushing is if it should be a tight fit in the caliper bracket, or if it should be a simple ‘slip fit’. I’ll be doing more research, of course, but I’m sort of leaning towards using a bit of LocTite on the mating surfaces of the bracket & adapter to prevent it from slipping.

klammer76 (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 08:54 PM
Harley_ish
Road Master

What do you mean slipping? It's not going to slip, spin, or move. It's captive & under clamped pressure

Last edited by Harley_ish; 04-20-2024 at 08:59 PM.
klammer76 (04-20-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 05:13 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior

What do you mean slipping? It's not going to slip, spin, or move. It's captive & under clamped pressure

I’m probably overthinking it. I was concerned with vibration/rotation/slipping of the bushing between the axle & the bracket.

Old 04-21-2024, 08:39 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior

The only difference is that if it was an original 3/4" wheel the hub's center bore is usually smaller too. So if you wanted to use a 1" or 25mm bearing/sleeve, you need to enlarge the center bore also.

I won’t have to modify the wheel in any way for this upgrade. It’s not the stock wheel.

the bushing/sleeve is only going to correct the size offset for the bracket that holds the caliper.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:36 AM
Harley_ish
Road Master

You wouldn't have to modify even a stock wheel because you're using a three-quarter inch axle.

My earlier post was in response to klammer76?

Jumpman (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 12:24 PM
Harley_ish
Road Master

Here's a alternate bushing. I couldn't show it inserted in the Bracket because it's a 1" x 3/4 bushing

07UltraGuy (04-21-2024)

Quick Reply: Late-Model Rear Brembo Caliper to 97-07 Bagger