Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting CarPlay Dongle

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 08:17 AM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,237 Posts
Default Mounting CarPlay Dongle

I'm thinking about mounting my wireless CarPlay dongle inside the fairing on my Street Glide. I'm not sure how bluetooth works or how far it travels, other than Google saying around 30'. Is there any reason why this might be a bad idea?

The following users liked this post:
touchdown (03-17-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 09:15 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,662 Likes on 948 Posts

It works for me. This is what I got, Auto Ski and a adapter I plug into my plug used for my head phones. With this set up I get wireless car play and don't have to hook up my phone to my bike. you can find this stuff on Amazon or ebay

Old 03-17-2024, 09:49 AM
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by touchdown
It works for me. This is what I got, Auto Ski and a adapter I plug into my plug used for my head phones. With this set up I get wireless car play and don't have to hook up my phone to my bike. you can find this stuff on Amazon or ebay

You pic is so small I can't see where you have it. But, I don't mean inside the cubby, I'm talking about inside the fairing somewhere.

Old 03-17-2024, 10:09 AM
touchdown
Supporter

For car play you can put a jumper in the inside fairing, the one I have fits in the plug that you would for the mike for the head set.

Old 03-17-2024, 10:16 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Hope this is better

Old 03-17-2024, 10:32 AM
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by touchdown
Hope this is better

Let me try and clarify.

My bike didn't come with wired headset capability like yours. I have a WHIM, but before I installed it I had the dealer do the flash hack that allowed CarPlay to work. (This can't be done anymore) But this still requires the phone to be plugged into the bike. No biggie. Then I installed a WHIM, and you still need to plug the phone into the bike. Last year I heard of these wireless dongles, and got one that works, but I was thinking of removing it from the little cubby where the usb cord is, and mounting it inside the fairing somewhere.

Old 03-17-2024, 10:48 AM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 957 Posts

The wireless dongle need to plug in to the USB port that is in your cubby on your SGS. The Autosky one is fantastic, it's what I use in the bike as well as my trucks. Nice and small and barely takes up any space. The dongles do need to be occasionally power cycled by unplugging them.

Old 03-17-2024, 12:27 PM
touchdown
Supporter

Originally Posted by 702
Let me try and clarify.

My bike didn't come with wired headset capability like yours. I have a WHIM, but before I installed it I had the dealer do the flash hack that allowed CarPlay to work. (This can't be done anymore) But this still requires the phone to be plugged into the bike. No biggie. Then I installed a WHIM, and you still need to plug the phone into the bike. Last year I heard of these wireless dongles, and got one that works, but I was thinking of removing it from the little cubby where the usb cord is, and mounting it inside the fairing somewhere.
Ok got you I have the Auto Ski and it requires it to be plugged in to the bike in that little phone thing on the dash. I can't see why if you used a one into two plug then you could put one end inside the fairing.

Old 03-17-2024, 01:10 PM
Grand HDF Member

It's done. Mounted the dongle inside the fairing, drilled a small hole in the forward end of the cubby up high, ran a cable from the dongle inside the cubby to the factory USB cable connection. Works perfect so far.

Old 03-17-2024, 10:04 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 990 Likes on 675 Posts

I get that you can put it in the fairing, but they’re so small anymore why would you? I have had to unplug mine to do updates on the head unit and in my truck to re-pair it. Wasn’t often or anything, but can’t you stick it to the roof in the cubby or something out of the way, but easily accessible?
I just stuck mine out of the way in the door in unusable space (using 3M scotch-Loc pads, plastic like Velcro, I think they’re called), I realize that yours is situated differently, but I’d want it easily accessible.

Range wise, you’ll be fine… the initial connection is made via Bluetooth, but then it switches to Wi-Fi to communicate. Mine will connect to my phone that’s laying on the tool box in the garage even if the bikes out in the driveway and I turn the ignition on.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 03-17-2024 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Mounting CarPlay Dongle