Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a pickup truck - advice please?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 11:01 AM
bonz50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buying a pickup truck - advice please?

ORIGINAL: FLFOOL

Don't get a pickup. The bed heights are usually dangerously high to load/unload, your load is always available to any punk wanting bling and theives will follow you on vacation. Check out the Dodge Sprint (actually it's a Mercedes-Benz) diesel. Different ceiling heights and interiors available. Also the VW Eurovan has the highest door opening and lowest deck height compared to any US made van. VW is now offering in Europe, maybe here next year, a model specifically designed for hauling bikes. If you do get a regular truck, buy the electric loading roll back You can load/unload with ease by yourself without fear of dropping or ripping a new a$$hole when she tilts.[:@] These will also offer multiple locking locations for security and offer stronger anchoring than regular tie down strings. And get some sort of cover that will make the load look like a lump of coal. Overnight hotel stops will be safer.
he needs a 4dr cab for the fam... the sprinter isn't gonna cut it...

Old 08-29-2007, 11:09 AM
BGHFD
Cruiser

I've always trailered my bike when needed, but am planning a family visit and wanted to take the Heritage without having to tow a trailer. I bought the 10' big boy ramp for my wife's 4x4 truck with a 6.5' bed. I've got plywood to help with the weight on the tailgate, but haven't made the big trip yet. I'm now a little concerned about bending her tailgate after the above reponse. Going up and down the ramp is "exciting" but doable. Even though the ramp folds up and is in three pieces, you still need to make room for it. If I were to purchase a truck just for this purpose, I would rather have an 8' bed, especially if you can close the tailgate. I was also surprised how much load this put on the rear suspension of a 1/2-ton truck. If you have the luxury of buying a vehicle just for the bike, a van is a great idea. My Dad has a small enclosed trailer and really helps take the worry away when parked or staying overnight while traveling.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:13 AM
BGHFD
Cruiser

DeJavu,

Can you give me more info on the tailgat bending? How bad is the tailgate bend? Does it "V" the whole gate, or is it just dished. Where does your rear tire land on the tailgate? I'm putting 3/4" plywood on the bed and tailgate hoping this will help the tailgate. I'm also thinking that having the rear tire near the edge of the tailgate will help.

Thanks for the help!

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

Have been loading/unloading my Evo chopper, 8' tip to tip, for years now on a F150 ext cab/6.6' bed. If your rear wheel sits on the tailgate like mine, the gate is going to bend from the bike bouncing. The gate is not ridgid and moves up and down no matter how I cinch the bike down. I see you've read the loading posts, I'll just say if the bike is running, its kind of like a aircraft carrier landing going up, unloading requires good balance, line it up and let it go. If you have to push it on, get as much help as you can, don't think its a 1 man task. I have gone to the extent of diggin holes for the rear wheels to get a good angle for the ramp. All that said, pick up an 8' lowboy trailer, a lot less hassle.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Chief X
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a nice little trailer (5x10) with the ramp tailgate brand new for around 800 bucks. Easy to load and unload and used frequently as we do all the shows, and travel with lots of merchandise to sell. Personally, I would try thatinstead of loading in a truck but just my opinion. If you have GPS in your truck, you can avoid the parkways as I have done going back and forth to L.I.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Chief X
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

forgot to mention, i have a nice 05 chevy colorado for sale!

Old 08-29-2007, 11:27 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

5x10 trailers can be had for about $600. much simpler and safer. also you'll find all kind of uses for it and it will keep the bed of your PU cleaner and scrape free.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:42 AM
olgreydog7
Road Captain

I wish I could remember the name of the ramp I have, but look for a ramp that also doubles as a bed extender. It worked great hauling my RKS from Washington State to Texas. Strapped it down with a Condor chock. I drove Pacific Coast Highway alot and had no issues at all. The tailgate had to be down in order for the bike to fit. My tailgate is not bent, even with a 750 pound bike and a 250 pound rider. I loaded it, and unloaded it, by myself. I got two 2x12's to steady my feet on, and rode up and down. The truck I have is a 2006 F-150 HD. The bed sits pretty high due to the 22" rims. It was a little scary unloading it, but loading wasn't hard at all. If you had someone to help you walk it down, it would be a piece of cake. Just make sure you geta nice wide ramp, or use some long pieces of wood to put your feet on, and it's really a non-issue.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:57 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

Living in North Jersey , and having owned 2 trucks , I can understand where you are coming from on the size thing. I can say that both my trucks were full size F150's with the 6 1/2 bed, one was a std. cab and one was a quad cab.

My E'Glide fit fine in both of them along with the ramp. The std. cab was 2 wheel drive and sat lower than the quad cab that was 4wd. The lower truck was easier for me to load and unload it by myself.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:06 PM
ianchris1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't buy Ford. I had my tranny rebuilt on my '98 at only 50k miles. My dad had a '94 and the same thing happened. I don't know if the new ones are any better, but every Ford me or the family have owned has been junk. I would never buy another. Well, maybe the Harley F-150That thing is sweet.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:19 PM
SteveM
Road Captain

Regardless of whether you are haulingin a truck or a trailer, I have found the best method of tie down is to the front fork and passenger foot peg/floorboard brackets. See the pictures below. (credit goes to soos for the pictures)

[IMG]local://upfiles/20075/0F558DFFA9D54F6FB8F817AD0E5ECAF5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20075/114682B2741643A4AE3552A44B6D158B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20075/226211DB493B4324877B966381DF3117.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20075/6B0CA7B3D69D4ABF80CE08EDC5F291E4.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Buying a pickup truck - advice please?