Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 RK Custom vs 08 RK Classic

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 01:09 PM
ianchris1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 07 RK Custom vs 08 RK Classic

08 RKC. Never liked the custom, so maybe I am biased...
Thank you for your service to our country by the way. Take care.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:40 PM
vinmanaf
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the question is can I live with the white gold pearl. Anyone have this color or have seen it in person? If so, what are your thoughts? Since I am buying factory direct through the military, I cannot see what I am buying in person. I tried to find one here at the dealer but they do not have anything on the floor in that color. The cruise control has me interested now. I never even considered it being a big deal. Know I am seriously thinking that it would be a great option on a bike like this. I'm gladmy problem isis the good kind of problem to have in lifeand either way I get a bike I know I will love. Thanks for all the great words, this forum is priceless thanks to allyou good folksthat contribute.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:02 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The white gold is a KNOCKOUT!!!!! When I first saw it I wanted to trade on 05 black cherry ultra on it. I wanted to have gold ghost flames put on it.

I feel your pain. I love the clean looks of the custom. I like the bags better on the custom. I really don't care for the buckle on the classic. I don't like the bastard 25mm axle on the '08 instead of 1.00 inch. Only .016 inch difference, but it will take time for wheel mfg's to retool. If you go the '08... GET THE ABS....... from what I read everywhere it is a fantastic enhancement.

I've been looking (lusting) at the screamin eagle RK. The only custom available in '08. It's a lot more up front, but has a lot of enhancements that I would add anyway. Also, it's easier if you have the misfortune to have to deal with insurance over the value of your bike and add ons.

Good luck with you decision.. and thank you for your service.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:57 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not much on white motorcycles but the custom is far superior to the classic. I empathize with your dilema.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:50 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a '05 rk custom. I looked at all three rk before deciding, and for me the clean lines of the custom sold me. But, being that you will have to settle for a color you don't want, I say, why settle? Get the '08 rk, in the color you want. I would not hesitate to buy an '08 over the '07. All the things about the classic you mentioned are easily removed (chrome rails). And, as far as bags go, I wanted to change my bags for hard bags. I have since added locks, and will keep these bags until they in need of replacement. Look at the rk standard.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:44 AM
88vert
Advanced

You can add cruise control for right around 300 and it makes a big defference.I added it to my 04 custom about 3 months ago and I love it.Also added quick detach windsheild for another 250

Old 08-31-2007, 08:45 AM
vinmanaf
Novice

Thanks for all your inputs, makes me start thinking about things I wouldn`t of thought of. How much difference do the passing lights on the clasic make over the singal light of the custom? I would not have to domuch to the classicbut live with the chrome on the fendersand I wouldgain all the extra stuff I would like to add to the custom like the passing lamps, windshield, and cruise. I might be better off going clasic and swapping out the bags or just live with them and swapping the turn signals to bullet style. Is there a way to remove the chrome on the fenders without too much work?But still, that custom looks good!

Old 08-31-2007, 09:12 AM
combat_vet
Tourer

I would stick with the '07; however, get the bike you want. After all, you're the one who has to live with it.

Good Luck,

Brian
US Army Retired
Military Police

Old 08-31-2007, 12:48 PM
dircha
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: vinmanaf
Thanks for all your inputs, makes me start thinking about things I wouldn`t of thought of. How much difference do the passing lights on the clasic make over the singal light of the custom? I would not have to do much to the classic but live with the chrome on the fenders and I would gain all the extra stuff I would like to add to the custom like the passing lamps, windshield, and cruise. I might be better off going clasic and swapping out the bags or just live with them and swapping the turn signals to bullet style. Is there a way to remove the chrome on the fenders without too much work? But still, that custom looks good!
Classic means spoked rims, which require additional maintenance, and are tubed, so you have very limited options in the event of a flat.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:55 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For $100.00 - Go with the '08
Cruise Control makes up the cost differance alone plus you get a real windshield & a 6 gal tank!
Also the '08 has other changes (up-grades) that they improved over the '07

Quick Reply: 07 RK Custom vs 08 RK Classic