Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:04 PM
nhjoe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any one know the cost of replacing shifter shaft seal ! and does the primary come off? or the other side from trany to get at the seal????? it would seem the seal is located on other side from transmission not having to remove primary! please advise
mines a 06 road king started leaking red line shok proof ! im seeing a common thing here guys who are using red line seem to be leaking from this area shift shaft behind that washer correct ? maybe the redline has a chemicle eating at rubber seal if thats what it is???? but inner primary has to come off to get at the shift shat seal??? how does it go on just snap into place? thats odd it sure seems like the seal is in transmissin on inner side of the shaft please explain! plus any one who payed for this try and post cost with labor ! grrrrrrr i hate this crap i feel like i fix one thing and another starts

Old 06-16-2010, 11:23 PM
retyddone
Advanced

The seal is on the outside of the tranmission. you have to take the outer and inner primary off the change the seal. Buy a cosmotic seal it has two lips and is a better seal. the last on I put in my RG was at 50,000 and there is 109,000 on it now.
I use Royal Purple 70/140 tranmission oil in it.
Martin

Old 06-16-2010, 11:45 PM
akroguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is leaking tranny fluid. I think I caused it...overfilled it after losing some oil from changing out the clutch cable. So, this evening, I drained out a few ounces and I think the level is now correct. Maybe the leak will slow down but I doubt it will stop completely. I use 75W-90 gear oil. The oil does seem to flow down and drip off the primary case drain plug while the bike is sitting, so that was my first thought as being the source, but I use ATF in the primary. So...color and smell helped me figure out the source.

There are advantages to using different oils in the three holes! I'll be tearing off the cylinders and cam plate shortly so what the hell, might as well pull the primary. When it rains it pours.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:18 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by nhjoe
mines a 06 road king started leaking red line shok proof ! im seeing a common thing here guys who are using red line seem to be leaking from this area shift shaft behind that washer correct ? maybe the redline has a chemicle eating at rubber seal if thats what it is????
Wow this thread was started back in 2007!Howd you find it?

Anyway you will see that I replied on this 2 yrs ago.
The last time the seal was replaced,the shift shaft was replaced also.Now its leaking again with 50000 miles.
I have always used Redline and even the dealer used Redline at the last repair.No issues with the warranty.
This repair will probly make me break even with what I paid for the extended warranty.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 06-17-2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:13 PM
nhjoe
Advanced
Default rety d done !! whats the part number and brand where can i get

this cosmotic double lip seal ? mines a 2006 road king 5 speed trans twin cam 88 ! ive been hearing even from the stealer that his own bike has gone through two already! but it dosent cost the service manager 250 i bet ! if you can list brand and part number maybe even where i might get one it would be great thanks , id rather stay away from oem if they keep leakin

Old 06-18-2010, 12:45 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
Wow this thread was started back in 2007!Howd you find it?

Anyway you will see that I replied on this 2 yrs ago.
The last time the seal was replaced,the shift shaft was replaced also.Now its leaking again with 50000 miles.
I have always used Redline and even the dealer used Redline at the last repair.No issues with the warranty.
This repair will probly make me break even with what I paid for the extended warranty.
Yep, and page 2 was a resurection in '08. Some how the n00bs missed '09. I wonder if there's gonna be a 2011 resurection. Maybe I should begin to prepare for it's coming...

Old 06-18-2010, 06:56 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CroK
Yep, and page 2 was a resurection in '08. Some how the n00bs missed '09. I wonder if there's gonna be a 2011 resurection. Maybe I should begin to prepare for it's coming...
I'll probly have gone thru a couple more seals by 2011!

Old 06-18-2010, 06:57 AM
retyddone
Advanced

nhjoe I got mine from a independent deale here in MI. Any good Indie will have them . It made by Cosmotic . J&P Cycle sell them also.

Martin

Old 06-18-2010, 07:16 AM
PnDegc
Road Master

I am curious to know how often you use your Heel shifter. Those on here that use it a lot vs. any that don't use it and is there any relationship to shifter seal leak.

pat

Old 06-18-2010, 07:25 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

I removed the rear shifter a long time ago.

Quick Reply: Shifter seal leak