Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike won't start..

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 06:36 AM
daveyclyde
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bike won't start..

ORIGINAL: Taterdog

So it raced up to 3000 rpm by itself and stayed there until you opened the throttle, and did this twice? When you crank it now can you tell if you're getting any fire?

I've had bad fuel injectors before (plugged from bad fuel), but the engine would try to start, just sputtered and never would catch on. But it sounds like yours is not even doing that.
Yeah, when I crank it it sounds like it's good to go but just won't turn over. If I give it a little throttle it doesn't help. Just kind of sounds like I'm flooding it.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:44 AM
daveyclyde
Intermediate

Stupid question, but when I disconnected one of the fuel lines from the bottom of the gas tank shouldn't gas just have poured out of the bottom of the tank? It didn't, and the tank is half full.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:10 PM
daveyclyde
Intermediate

Got home from work today and thought "what the hell, I'll just try to start the bike." It started right up but it did the same thing as last time. It immediately revved up to about 3000 RPM's. I gave it a little throttle and the RPM's increased. When I let off the throttle the RPM's went back to about 3000. I could not get it to just idle so I had to hit the kill switch. I tried to start it again but it would not turn over. I'm completely puzzled!

Old 10-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it started and revved up to 3000, did it run smooth? If so, doesn't seem like it's being starved for fuel. You don't have a Power Commander, or other fuel management system, hooked up, do you? Almost sounds like it doesn't recognize your zero throttle position. Are both your throttle cables hooked up?

Old 10-26-2007, 05:19 AM
FinnGlide
Advanced

ORIGINAL: daveyclyde

Stupid question, but when I disconnected one of the fuel lines from the bottom of the gas tank shouldn't gas just have poured out of the bottom of the tank? It didn't, and the tank is half full.
Not sure, but I think that fuel pump maybe acts at this case like a "shut off valve" so it doesn´t allow fuel to go thru it when you disconnect the hose and pump is not running?

If you have PCIII I´d suggest that you disconnect it and try starting the bike w/its own ecm. I had severe idle problems when my PCIII went KIA, although those problems occured only after riding for a while. New PCIII and problem was solved.Well, at least it´s running ok now...

Old 10-26-2007, 05:42 AM
onephsyco1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vacuum leak ? Intake gasket ?

Jack

Old 10-26-2007, 06:09 AM
acedantinne
Tourer

Needengine vacuum to open fuel petcock. Fuel pump? They did change Injectors.Do not remember when.
Is the engine turning over?
Got spark?

Old 10-26-2007, 06:59 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked the manual last night, and what choochoo said seems a likely cause -- the ISC actuator. There's a troubleshooting method in the manual, so pretty easy to check to see if it's working properly.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:42 PM
daveyclyde
Intermediate

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll try some of the suggestions tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Crossing my fingers!!!

Old 10-26-2007, 03:58 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

I've had somewhat the same problem with my 1998 FLHTCUI earlier this year.....exact same symptoms you are describing. Mine would start and go immediatley to about 3000 RPM and stay that way until the engine got hot. Then it would drop to 1000 RPM which is about right. The cold idle was totally out of wack. All this crap happened to me when I was on a week long trip.....annoying as hell.

Anyways, I had to set the cold/idle to specifications.Could never get it right....because unfortunately the IAC was ioperable.

The IAC is easy to check though, when you flip the ignition to on.....you should hear the buzz of the fuel pump. At the same time, look down at the IAC and watch for movement. If it is moving at all.....it is ok. If not, then it has quit.

My problem was that.....the IAC was not moving at all, it was basically stuck. I replaced it and set the cold/hot idle to specifications. No problems since.

Hope you don't have to replace the IAC though.....they are about $100. The IAC is also known as the ISC actuator. I just call it the IAC out of habit.

Quick Reply: Bike won't start..