Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loc tight or anti sieze

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 06:53 AM
ron potier
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: loc tight or anti sieze

The problem is we don't normally know what needs to be taken off in the future. The blue loc-tite is generally removeable with just a bit more than normal effort, but keeps the fastener in place during operation.

Anti-seize is generally used for removeable parts. One of the problems with anti-seize is it changes the torque requirements of bolts because it acts as a lubricant. Most of the torque tables we use on our bikes are not corrected for this. We then have a tendency to over tighten and break bolts.

BTW, the JB weld routine is getting a bit old. We have the same jokes where I work on a regular basis! Some of the people here asking for advice don't even know what that stuff is used for!

Old 10-31-2007, 06:56 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 22,061 Likes on 8,481 Posts

TheMarine Corpsuses anti-seize to maintain a good ground for communications gear on their combat vehicles.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:43 AM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

Must be a reason they put anti sieze in the box.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:01 AM
jskwarek
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ron potier
BTW, the JB weld routine is getting a bit old. We have the same jokes where I work on a regular basis! Some of the people here asking for advice don't even know what that stuff is used for!
Ron,
Lighten up. You were not even around when the JB Weld joke started here based on your post history and join date. Not to mention someone else had already said it was a joke. If you don't like what is said here then use the little "X" in the top right hand corner of your browser to fix the problem.

Jeff

Old 10-31-2007, 09:06 AM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the anti sieze that what it there for. Trock explained it the best.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there anything you can put on nut/bolt that is already on and tight to keep it from loosening up, but still be able to get if off if/when you want? Loctite requires removing the nut, applying the loctite, then putting it back together. My tourpak and bag hardware is still firmly in place, but I would like to do something to make sure they don't vibrate loose in the future.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,718 Likes on 1,350 Posts

The loctite people say that their product also hasanti-seize properties. Anti-seize is mainly corrossion inhibiting. The loctite must coat the parts to keep them from seizing up.

Use the right stuff on the right part. I don't buy the Kury stuff after my bad experience with their expensive foot pegs on the Sportster, but if they gave you anti-seize to use, I'd use it. I always use anti-seize on spark plugs and lug nuts. And I use blue loctite on most other things. A lot less stuff falls off that way.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Windup08

Is there anything you can put on nut/bolt that is already on and tight to keep it from loosening up, but still be able to get if off if/when you want? Loctite requires removing the nut, applying the loctite, then putting it back together. My tourpak and bag hardware is still firmly in place, but I would like to do something to make sure they don't vibrate loose in the future.
www.hdforums.com/m_201283/tm.htm

Old 10-31-2007, 06:09 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Loctite does have "anti-sieze" properties because it seals the threads keeping corrosion out. Anti sieze keeps corrosion out and allows easier removal and assembly. I would do the anti sieze and keep my eye on the bolts...if there's a problem, apply the Loctite.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:42 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

the one thing you can put on a bolt once it is in to keep it from loosening is a TORQUE WRENCH

Anti seize prevents galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals ( steel and aluminum).. put tin foil on a filling and you'll understand the concept.

Loctite or other anerobic sealants harden in the absense of oxygen, filling the void between the tapped thread and the cut threads, effectively giving you 100% engagement instead of the normally designed 75% that allows you to screw the things together.

I use anti seize unless there is specific manufacturers instructions to use locktte. I also use a torque wrench, especially on my jap bike where the hardware tends to be smaller and 'GRUNT" is not a good torque value, especially when everything is aluminum and a PITA to remove and helicoil.

Quick Reply: loc tight or anti sieze