Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a more involved DIY, and I would like to qualify that I am not a mechanic, just an enthusiast, but I did it seamlessly. I put a 2008 six gallon tank on my 2007 ultra. The link below has only 4 pics, I also put an album on my member profile. Not to mention I took a bazillion photos I did not use.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...nger-post.html

Old 06-11-2012, 04:20 PM
psychocircus
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

version 2.0

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-621033e6-ad45-5762.jpg  
Old 06-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by psychocircus
version 2.0
That's cool. What did you use this time?

Old 06-11-2012, 04:44 PM
psychocircus
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunslingertom
That's cool. What did you use this time?
same as far as paint, but let them sit for bout 3 weeks, i wasnt in a hurry.was doing other stuff to the bike in the mean time, they stayed soft for least 2 weeks. im still not sure why, must be a reaction with the paint and pvc? as thick i as sparyed didnt help either. the chrome is 1/8" moulding from autozone. im happy wiff 'em. they turned out great.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:52 AM
FLHTCU LATER
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Putting on the Ritz, Dye that clear windshield.

Puttin on the Ritz. liquid or powder.
Tinting your clear windshield is easy. Take your clear lexan or Polycarbinate or even plexyglass windshields and tent them with a small box or two of ordinary
(Ritz black dye used for dyeing jeans)- yes it works and you can control the amount of darkness or shade to be absorbed into the windshield. I recomened you test this process on a piece of scrap first. You can also use different colors of dye to get a different color windshield - RED BLUE GREEN YELLOW 26 different Colors, ECT.
It also works on windshields that were hazed over or turning yellow from using cleaners.
1. Get 2 box`s of Ritz black dye, or any color you like to have/match your bike.
2. Mix and desolve 1 box of dye completely in a 5 gal bucket with about 4 gallons of water, may take 5- 10 min in a new clean 5 gal bucket, clean everything with alcohol before mixing. I use a bucket and a clean paint mixer to mix the water/dye mixture, it must not be contaminated by any oil.
3.Pour mixture in a clean shallow container so that your windshield will lay flat and completely inside of.
4.Now put on some latex or other type of plastic shop gloves and Clean the clear windshield with soap and water to remove any oils from the clear windshield and dry with a micro towel. Get it spotless****
5.Now place the clean clear windshield flat in the shallow container with the water & dye-make shure the level covers the windshield completely and there is no trapped air bubbles under or around it. Let it soak and check it every 60 sec.
6. Ok now is when you control the amount of shade/darkness to be absorbed into the clear windshield by reaching in with your gloves still on and pulling it out by the edges to check the shade or darkness- Leave it in longer for a darker windshield. Color/ Shade will be permanent.Lightly stir the dye and water mix while windshield is soaking.
7. When your happy with the color, remove windshield from the shallow pan and rinse it off with a garden hose.
8.Pour the mixed dye back into the 5 gal bucket and put a lable and a lid on it. It can be reused again and again.
9. You can use different colors of dye to get a different color windshield.
10. Install on bike. and clean as usual with soap and water.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:12 AM
FLHTCU LATER
Stage IV

Thanks all- good info here.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:16 AM
FLHTCU LATER
Stage IV
Smile

Originally Posted by 1of2
I have not gone through all the threads here to see if this has been done and how but here is my solution to getting a plug in the tour-pak for charging cell phones etc:

Supplies needed:

HD supplementary power source kit # 91843-97 ($19.99)
Power wire with fuse
Plug for battery tender ($2.99 shipped from eBay)

I have an Ultra with the tour-pak insert. I found there is room (barley) in the back corner in front of the antenna.

Then I cut a hole to mount the power adapter as close to the corner shelf as I could. There is barely enough room for it so make sure it is as close as possible.

I then wired the fused power wire through the grommet that the other wiring goes through.

Run the wire down near the battery and connect the tender plug end to it.

Run the wire down to your battery tender plug and plug it in.
It ended up being a nice clean installation. Now I have power in the tour-pak for under $30.

I`ll give that a try-

Old 06-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHTCU LATER
Puttin on the Ritz. liquid or powder.
Tinting your clear windshield is easy. Take your clear lexan or Polycarbinate or even plexyglass windshields and tent them with a small box or two of ordinary
(Ritz black dye used for dyeing jeans)- yes it works and you can control the amount of darkness or shade to be absorbed into the windshield. I recomened you test this process on a piece of scrap first. You can also use different colors of dye to get a different color windshield - RED BLUE GREEN YELLOW 26 different Colors, ECT.
It also works on windshields that were hazed over or turning yellow from using cleaners.
1. Get 2 box`s of Ritz black dye, or any color you like to have/match your bike.
2. Mix and desolve 1 box of dye completely in a 5 gal bucket with about 4 gallons of water, may take 5- 10 min in a new clean 5 gal bucket, clean everything with alcohol before mixing. I use a bucket and a clean paint mixer to mix the water/dye mixture, it must not be contaminated by any oil.
3.Pour mixture in a clean shallow container so that your windshield will lay flat and completely inside of.
4.Now put on some latex or other type of plastic shop gloves and Clean the clear windshield with soap and water to remove any oils from the clear windshield and dry with a micro towel. Get it spotless****
5.Now place the clean clear windshield flat in the shallow container with the water & dye-make shure the level covers the windshield completely and there is no trapped air bubbles under or around it. Let it soak and check it every 60 sec.
6. Ok now is when you control the amount of shade/darkness to be absorbed into the clear windshield by reaching in with your gloves still on and pulling it out by the edges to check the shade or darkness- Leave it in longer for a darker windshield. Color/ Shade will be permanent.Lightly stir the dye and water mix while windshield is soaking.
7. When your happy with the color, remove windshield from the shallow pan and rinse it off with a garden hose.
8.Pour the mixed dye back into the 5 gal bucket and put a lable and a lid on it. It can be reused again and again.
9. You can use different colors of dye to get a different color windshield.
10. Install on bike. and clean as usual with soap and water.
Great idea. Does the windshield come out looking blacked out and dull though? Or is it still glassy?

Old 06-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Mickey D
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mglax13
This isn't really a DIY, but more of a little tip. I got a small thick plastic zip lock bag (the kind used for small parts) and got some adhesive Velcro. I keep my registration and insurance in the bag and have it stuck to the inside of the lid on my right saddle bag. That bag is typically locked 95% of the time anyways as it only stores my rain suit and other rare items that I use. The leftis my every day storage saddle bag. I only really put stuff in the right as an over flow, so I don't have much worry about anyone snatching my personal info.

That works.

I used to keep my bike registration in the left handle bar grip. Pull the end plug, roll the registation paper and slip it in. Replace end plug.

Now I just keep it in my wallet, along with my insurance card and CCW permit.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Dangerous Rogue
Intermediate

Installed 12v power outlets in both gloves boxes on the RG. Seadog makes a pretty sweet outlet, so I put those in and tapped into the 12v line to the cigarette lighter. I did this at the same time as a speaker upgrade. I should have put the new speaks in first because it is a pretty tight fit, I did not account for the extra space.

Name:  IMG_7007.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  249.2 KB

I'll see how the power draw is for recharging phones and stuff, but I don't see any issues. For now, I am using a USB adapter to charge the phone. If I were to use a GPS or something that would constantly be drawing power, I would likely install an inline fuse. Not too bad, 2 power outlets and it cost less than 20 bucks.

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$