Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 10:22 AM
billhd1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler

I am thinking about an oil cooler for my 08 SG. Looking for pros and cons and types of coolers that you all might think is the best. I do alot of cross country riding as a matter of fact this year I went 9200 miles in 6 weeks on one trip. N.Y. to New Mexico then up to Washington then to Wyoming then to Colorado and Back to NY. Thats the kind of riding I like to do. Many different weather patterns.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:31 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: oil cooler

I seriously doubt that you need an oil cooler. Might be handy if you're stuck in traffic for long periods of time but you, like me, live on the open road.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got the HD premium oil cooler on my 08 Ultra. Got the bike in October, so haven't ridden in hot weather yet. The only thing I would recommend is the whichever model you buy get one thant is thermostatically controlled....the HD cooler doesn't run oil to it until the engine temp reaches 185 degrees, this helps make sure the engine gets a chance to reach required operating temperature especially when you ride in cooler weather.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BadBokOK.....oil coolers don't do much of any good when you are stuck in traffic, they are made to keep the engine a bit cooler when running down the highway and you have a good air-flow over the cooling fins. On hot days running at highway speed you can keep your oil 20 or more degrees cooler than it otherwise would be. There is lots of controversary over whether they are needed or not, but I figured as hot as the 96" engine runs it couldn't hurt.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:41 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Windup08

BadBokOK.....oil coolers don't do much of any good when you are stuck in traffic, they are made to keep the engine a bit cooler when running down the highway and you have a good air-flow over the cooling fins. On hot days running at highway speed you can keep your oil 20 or more degrees cooler than it otherwise would be. There is lots of controversary over whether they are needed or not, but I figured as hot as the 96" engine runs it couldn't hurt.
Yeah, my bad. I know this, I just had a brain fart. It's early and I need more coffee. Regardless, it's my personal opinion that one isn't necessary with today's synthetic oils.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Iowabiker
Intermediate

Just bought a 08 Classic and have ordered the Jagg vertical oil cooler. The bikes run lean and hot according to all I have heard and read. The Jagg 8 row vertical mount is located on a side rail. I picked that version as the other 8 row low mount is installed below the regulator and I thought would be subject to much road debris. I did talk to a Jagg representative and he stated in all the coolers he has sold he had only three units that had damage due to road debris. He also indicated that he was sure the debris damage could go unreported. I also felt the vertical mount would drain better during the oil change.
The oil cooler is supposed to drop the oil temperature approxiamtely 20 degrees, which is a good thing. Running in cooler temperatures it is important to cover the oil cooler, get a thermostat, or a manual shut off. I elected the manual shut off as the thermostat is generally the weak point in the oil cooler. They can stick on or off as they age.
Buells come with coolers as well as most BMWs. They are standard on many cars.
I am sure that there are just as many people that say oil coolers are not necessary. Many also think that the clamps for the cooler are a point for leaks. If you check them periodically that should not be an issue. If you change your oil faithfully and use a good quality of oil one should not have any problems. I have used synthetic in all of my bikes as they have worked well for me. I just believe the synthetics do not break down as fast as the conventional oils, but that is an entirely separate discussion.
I hope my thoughts have helped you. The vry best.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:23 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: billhd1

I am thinking about an oil cooler for my 08 SG. Looking for pros and cons and types of coolers that you all might think is the best. I do alot of cross country riding as a matter of fact this year I went 9200 miles in 6 weeks on one trip. N.Y. to New Mexico then up to Washington then to Wyoming then to Colorado and Back to NY. Thats the kind of riding I like to do. Many different weather patterns.
I feel that all TC's need an oil cooler, as with the piston-spray feature the oil will run hot in summer weather. You have several options:

HD Premium: This is what I installed and is working perfectly. Has thermostat in in the kit and is a low-mount.
Jagg vertical: Fits on left downtube. Thermostat optional, or buy a manual cut-off valve.
Jagg 10-row: Also fits on left downtube and has more rows than either of the above. Thermostat optional, or buy a manual cut-off valve. Available low or vertical mount.
Chrome-plated bling "coolers": Not really coolers, but heatsinks and likely won't perform nearly as well as a real cooler but are less expensive. Same issue with thermostat/valve.

The thermostat is important, IMO, as an air-cooled engine has enough trouble getting up to operating temperature having no internal controls on heat retension during warm-up. Prolonging the warm-up is hard on the engine and the oil.

BTW, coolers do work to some degree in traffic with low airflow due to convection, and every little bit helps. Getting a grip on A/F ratios helps too, as in stock form you are likely running quite lean, even with a Stage 1 download, especially with '07 and later closed-loop systems.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:39 AM
ezlife
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Windup08

I've got the HD premium oil cooler on my 08 Ultra. Got the bike in October, so haven't ridden in hot weather yet. The only thing I would recommend is the whichever model you buy get one thant is thermostatically controlled....the HD cooler doesn't run oil to it until the engine temp reaches 185 degrees, this helps make sure the engine gets a chance to reach required operating temperature especially when you ride in cooler weather.
Installed same here, can't hurt. Easy DIY install.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:12 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I HAVE THE PREMIUM COOLER ON MY 2008 E/G AND IT REALLY HELPS. LIVING IN HOUSTON I HAVE TRAFFIC BUT IF NOT MOVING IT DOESN'T DO TOO MUCH. IT IS SO HOT IN THE SUMMER MONTHS IT SEEMS TO KNOCK TEMPS DOWN FROM HIGHS OF 220-230 TO 200-205. NOT MUCH DIFFERENT BUT WITH THE HEAT ISSUES ON 07-08 MODELS, ANYTHING HELPS. THE BIGGEST HELP ON ENGINE TEMP IS A SERT AND RICHING UP THE MIXTURE IMO.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:37 PM
PeteM
Cruiser

I didn't install mine, bought the bike used and it was already on there.

Don't think it has a thermostat. Have had it apart (was loose) and no internals to it other than the passages. Should it be changed?

Quick Reply: oil cooler