Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Fairings on Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:02 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts
Default RE: Lower Fairings on Street Glide?

Take the vent doors off if you need more Air on on hot days. Only takes a second.
ORIGINAL: tphillips

ORIGINAL: iclick

ORIGINAL: biz44

I been thinking about the same mod for my SG since day one. I dont know whats stopping me though? They have got to make for a more comfortable ride.....even more so on long road trips. My SG still only has about 500 miles on it....so I have PLENTY of time to decide. I know if and when I start going on multi-day trips with her, I will buy a set.....even if I just use them in the colder months????
Your thinking basically what I'm thinking. For me there are questions:

(1) How much drag does this add? Will it make the bike less aerodynamic, thus hurt performance and gas mileage?

(2) How does it affect engine cooling when air temperatures are moderate or warm?

(3) How feasible are they in summer? Do the vents allow enough airflow to keep you as cool as when the lowers are not installed?

If I bought these I would also buy the quick-release kit.

iclick:

No real additional drag -- the design of the lowers actually routes air to the engine to keep it cool. What they don't do, even with the vents open, is allow all the air to reach you -- and that, here in Houston, is a significant issue! They come off my Ultra in the summer -- and are only installed for long road trips or during the fall/winter months. Personally, I like the look of them, as I think they finish off the bike. But there are times when vanity takes second place to comfort -- and this is one of those times!!!

Old 02-02-2008, 01:55 PM
TC96Man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lower Fairings on Street Glide?

Definitely check out the custom fairing lowers at www.hoggchopps.com, they are different and cool looking. They are also cheaper! than the ones that Harley sells, and that includes paint too. The owner emailed me and told me that they will be offering some glove boxes for them very soon. Check them out, doesn' t hurt to look.

Later,

JB