Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide - Should I Make the Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 06:57 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 22,885 Likes on 8,728 Posts
Default RE: Road Glide - Should I Make the Switch?

I will have to echo what most have said here about the RG and the wind paths around the fairing. I'm also a big guy at 6' 4" and 270 and the the forward position of the fairing seems to give me a bit more breathing room on the bike. Handling at slow speeds is just as good as any of the hogs if you practice the look where you want to go turning style. Freeway speeds, that bike just floats along. The only thing I really don't like is the rain coming up from under the fairing. It's probably a lot off the road, so ya don't really want to drink it.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:22 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

U SHOULD CONSIDER TRADING IN UR SG FOR THE RG.. THATS ALOTA WORK UR LOOKING AT.. IVE GOT AN UG AND A RG AND I CAN TELL YOU THE RG IS A BETTER MACHINE ALL AROUND.. TRY A FEW WINDSHIELDS ULL GET IT RIGHT..I HAVE A 1" OVER CLEARVIEW....IN THE BOX WAITING 4 SPRING..ITLL BE FINE..IM SURE. GOOD LUCK

Old 02-01-2008, 08:51 AM
HDchrome
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My last Harley was a RG, and it was by far the best handling HD I've had. The buffeting was different on the RG than it was on the RK (with detachable windshield, no fairing) before it, but normally not any worse. My first experience with the batwing will be as soon as I can get on the new Ultra which is sitting down in the garage with 1 mile on it. It's killing me that the weather isn't cooperating here.

The top edge of the RG windshield hit me right at the line of site though, aggravating for close-up stuff but no problem for normal highway riding.

There was a local dealer here that was installing RG fairings on V-Rods a couple of years ago. Definitely a different look, wonder how they handled.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:57 AM
cadman311
Club Member

I have a road glide. I love the RG ride over the bat wing bikes. I do know what some said about the RG sailing. I have it happen to me in the beginning riding the RG into a head wind of 40 mph and I was doing 60+ mph. It just a different feeling. The same day I had the SG out in the same wind and just to keep the bike riding straight was a harder thing to ride. The cross wind would play hell on the bat wing. I have put lowers on the RG and the sailing has left the RG. I would like to have a little shield over my hands, but heated hand grip work well.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree about the lowers, I put them on and most of the buffeting was gone. A lot cheaper than trading in and losing your a$$.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4934/5E929D20E5E0412EB29B76221D30E07B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-01-2008, 11:41 AM
DrBob81
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's good to know what YOU like and don't. Riders with no helmet or open face are most likely to experience buffeting. The stock windshield hadalmost nonebut there was more wind in my face. My fav helmet is 1/2. Buffeting is caused by air pressure changes behind the fairing, a bubble forms and then collapses. Imagine someone grabbing your glasses pulling them about 1/4 from your face and then pushing them back on really fast, over and over, now imagine your hole head doing it to a lesser extent. If almost all of the experienced riders prefered RG's, we would see a lot more of them. FOR ME, RG's are like red heads, they are the most fun for the shortest period of time.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:49 AM
cadman311
Club Member

I never had that with the RG but my 07 lowrider with a deattachable windshield is like a hammer hitting your helmet above the speed limit.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:02 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a clearview shield and lowers on my RG. I have not had any buffeting problems but I am also only 5'8".

Old 02-01-2008, 01:16 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an EG Classic & have since had two RG's.... "For me", the RG is a better ride all the way around. As with all bikes, they require some "personalization" to get them "right". I immediately swap the aweful stock bars w/WG bars & the stock seat w/a Mustang. After that, it's all gravy ~ for me at least.

Best bet would be to rent one and put a couple hunderd miles on it and then determine what's best for you.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Vegas FLTRI
Tourer

NO don't do it!! we don't need anymore of those butt-ugly roadglides around! test ride and decide for yourself

Quick Reply: Road Glide - Should I Make the Switch?