Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 10:17 PM
SCS
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Overheating in traffic

I have a new 06 Ultra Classic. When it is very hot outside and I get into heavy traffic (alot of starting and stopping on a blocked highway or city driving) my oil pressure after a very small amount of time goes to almost 0. I assumed most of this was due to the excessive air temp. However even when it get extremely cold outside I still run into this problem after I have been running on the highway and then get into bumper to bumper traffic. The bike starts idiling rough and alot slower then normal. Is this part of the normal 4 stages listed in the owners manual that describes how a bike acts during these conditions or is this a sign of more serious problems to come

[IMG]local://upfiles/7570/B26F05EE1FCF4FC6B11EA9DB7DE2BEF0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-22-2006, 10:29 PM
MiniMe
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Overheating in traffic

It sounds like the tuning is way to lean. I bet this problem can be resolved with A SERT. Take it back to your local HD dealer.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:33 PM
MACK
Road Warrior

It is normal for the pressure to go near zero when hot. If it starts to idle rough it has gone into the limp mode to keep from overheating firing only every other time. Eventually if you dont get some air cirulation it will shut down to keep from damaging the engine. I have found that Amsoil holds better pressure than any other oil i have used and tends to cause the bike to run cooler Not really a lot to worry about. Try to avoid these conditions if possible.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Lpye
Road Captain

It's not unusual for the oil pressure to be low while idleing in hot weather. I was told the engine would operate on 3 lbs of pressure, even thought that makes me nervous. Unless you are spending a lot of time idleing, I agree you may be too lean. You are probably seeing the cooling system trying to cool the engine down. I don't have the problem you are having with my 06, but it has not been much above 70.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:30 PM
jfanton
Road Captain

I will agree with others and say that 3-5 psi is normal "hot" oil pressure for a H-D.
My '97 evo is the same...

Old 01-23-2006, 12:06 AM
SCS
Cruiser

Thanks for the quick answers, I just wanted to really know if others have experienced the same problem I have. Atleast now I know I'm not an isolated case

Old 01-23-2006, 01:10 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,882 Likes on 1,102 Posts

It might also be more of a problem if it's not completely broke in....my bike took about 2000 miles to really loosen up to the point of a noticable difference in driveability.

Old 01-23-2006, 04:24 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine, which doesn't have the advanced management that yours does will lope pretty good when sitting for too long.

I'm not real happy about splitting lanes, but it seems to be a necessary evil to keep it cool.

I asked the dealer, and they told me that when it slows the idle and lopes, its 'finding its sweet spot'. How's that for a new spin on a crap line?

Oh well, it doesnt seem to be burning the oil, and it does still run OK.

Somehow, I find it a bit difficult to believe that the MoCo didn't think about this and engineer the systems to handle it. So I guess I find out the hard way if they did. Sucks about the cylinder shutdown you guys have to deal with though.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:40 AM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a common problem. It hasn't happen to me I split lane so I don't really sit in traffic to long.

Old 01-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Danester
Road Master

I've been lucky so far..no overheat

Wish I could lane split legally in the DC region - - makes me feel like a rebel when I do it..people in cages get PO'd..BUT HEY - -Gotta do what I gotta do! Too much Frickin traffic here too!

Quick Reply: Overheating in traffic