Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wobble wobble wobble

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: wobble wobble wobble

it does work...i tried it also....my footboards vibrated too much so i pulled em off

ORIGINAL: monkish

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

most of yall are suppose'n the wrong reasons for the wobble....only a few hit the prob on the head....its rubber mounted...swing arm in rubber as well....the drivetrain is located in two places with stabilizers but needs three...the rear of the drivetrain is held by the swingarm pivot which goes thru rubber....it does deflect, even on new bikes...it does not give a tank slapper and you will most likely not go down when it happens....it feels much like grooved pavement on the rear only....the solution is with a True Track or Ride Str8 stabilizer....either one works excellent and ties the side to side deflection in the rear/bottom of the drivetrain....either will make your bike feel like its on rails....i run the TT, some of my buds use the RSTR8...both are about 400 bucks....dont even think the dealer will do anything or can do anything about the prob cause they dont admit it happens....some of yall should seriously look at aftermarket parts bc they work far better than the moco's offering
There is a bushing I have read about called the STA-BO or something like that. Does this fall into the same category as the stabilizers you are talking about? I would think that the bushing change out might help some but not to the extent of what you are refering to.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:05 PM
tracy588588
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi the wobble is their at higer speeds and different road conditions, check my kit out to stop that wobble click here thanks tracy

Old 03-23-2008, 12:42 PM
vibr8ir
Cruiser

I've always heard about this wobble, never felt it though. Last week I found a used true-track for $140 installed it and OMG what a difference. I could tell it was better going out the d-way. No more tracking, deflecting wondering bike truely is on rails now. I always thought my bike rode and handled well now it really does. True- track does work though it is expensive new. One of the best things I've bought, Lyndall brake pads are #1 too.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:12 PM
fbn ent
Cruiser

It is called "rear steer". I put a Tru Trac on and it cured it. A little harder on tires though (more like the old frames). I will be re-aligning and putting on new stabilizers soon. Rear steer definitely gets worse as mileage goes up.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:02 PM
acftdr
Cruiser

There's actually two kinds of "wobble" going on here on the dressers. One is induced by air over the fairing, which tends to wiggle the bars at speed or cross wind. The other is rear steer. This is cured with the stabilzer links like Tru Trac or Ride Str8.

To figure out if you have rear steer, go down the road between 50mph and 70mph. Take your butt and shift it hard to the left or right. You'll feel the bike oscillate back and forth about 3 times. This is the rear wobble. This is what you feel in the turns. Pretty scary.

Add a stabilzer, and vouala. No more wobble. You can do the same butt shift manuver and the bike won't even move. I've got the Ride Str8. Love it. Big difference, and this is on a brand new '08 Ultra. I've experienced it on older bikes but never knew what it was until I started reading about it recently.

As for the front, that's fixed or reduce by different windshields like the Cee Bailey's SSC and/or tightening up the steering.

[sm=shades.gif]

Old 03-23-2008, 10:05 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Probably has nothing to do with current models, but I bought new 1965 Electra Glide, put about 400 miles on it when it went into a tank slapper full wobble at 65 mph. I recovered and rode it straight to the dealership. Turns out a shim was left out of the front axle assembly which allowed a slight ocillation back and forth on the axle.

Except for my 1956 Hydra Glide, I can't recall any bagger I've owned that didn't wallow a bitin hard cornering. I always figured it was tire slide and road irregularities. The '56 was hard tail.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:03 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Ride Str8: https://www.hdforums.com/m_1957210/tm.htm

Old 03-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I've experienced both the low speed and the high speed wobble. The low speed was caused by loose neck bearings, I just had that fixed last week. The high speed may have been caused by the bearings, but I think it was a combination of road (lane splitting over BOT DOTS), crosswinds, and excessive speed on my part. After experiencing that one, I installed the RideStr8 gizmo.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:11 PM
wydopn231
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DAGO ROADKING is right on in my opion the low angle of rake is whar cause the high speed wobble problem,theres probaly few other reason with baggers.If you check the harley specs youll see these things are far less angle than anyother harleys.It helps turn but sucks for highspeed.Read and article one time that 30 or less better for manuvering and 34 plus better for straight aways.Mine makes my *** suck up the seat around 120.I had asked for ideas on how to concour this only got bunch of bs about riding to fast LIKE THATS POSSIBLE.Im going try few things first stabilizers,new bushings and if that dont fix it im going to brake out the portaband and the welder and add 4 degrees rake to frontend.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: wydopn231

DAGO ROADKING is right on in my opion the low angle of rake is whar cause the high speed wobble problem,theres probaly few other reason with baggers.If you check the harley specs youll see these things are far less angle than anyother harleys.It helps turn but sucks for highspeed.Read and article one time that 30 or less better for manuvering and 34 plus better for straight aways.Mine makes my *** suck up the seat around 120.I had asked for ideas on how to concour this only got bunch of bs about riding to fast LIKE THATS POSSIBLE.Im going try few things first stabilizers,new bushings and if that dont fix it im going to brake out the portaband and the welder and add 4 degrees rake to frontend.
+2

Those that race motocross know all about "headshake". Its directly affected by rake angle. Some racers put Rg3 triple clamps on like I did on my 450 which lessens the rake for quicker turning, better manuevring, but on high speed straights the bumps in the track will cause your front to go into a shake, which is why some guys have sterring stabilizers. Some pro racers prefer more fork rake depending on the track which reduces handling in corners but firms up the front and reduces headshake. Almost all desert racers who run the baha 1000 have to use steering stabilizers.

One day on my brand new Yamaha Roadstar, coasting downhill about 30 miles an hour I took both hands off the bars and it went into a wild tank slapper. All bikes do this from one degree to another. Its physics.

Quick Reply: wobble wobble wobble