Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rolling Thunder XXI - who's going?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 01:32 AM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rolling Thunder XXI - who's going?

Now that's outstanding!
Caught the crook!!

Thanks for telling me that,
I didn't know that's the same Marine each year!!

Got to admit, That's one smart salute!!

I used to stay in Crystel City with the Leathernecks.
We had the fortune of parkingright up front at Pentagon north parking lot.
Got there early, not bad in nice weather, but chilly & rain isn't unusual either

getting out of town can be a challenge some times.

S F
chappy

ORIGINAL: Blue06classic

Chappy,

Have met that Marine...he actually came across the country ina bread truck a couple of years ago. My chapter (NC4) of Rolling Thunder "adopted" a soldier killed during the current Iraq/Afghanistan war...his Mother thought it would be neat for Brad to be able to ride on a bike...so we had a small shadow box made that held at small 4"x6" American flag on one side and his Dog Tags on the other....they came across country from Cali to DC via a chapter in California and that Marine (his name escapes my mind right now) came across with the chapter...

He takes leave and makes sure that he is in DC for the event...he even stopped a would be robber at the Crystal City Hyatt (Rolling Thunder HQ)...seems a guy took the bill-fold from one of the servers at the hotel bar...and tried to hide it...he caught the guy...and eventually the bill-fold was found...with $1000 cash inside...she hadn't cashed out for the night...

Darryn

Old 03-14-2008, 01:46 AM
Blue06classic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I stay over at the Virginian Suites in Arlington right by the Iwo Jima Memorial... Great place to stay that we found last year when we hadn't made reservations at the Hyatt in time...also has a great restaurant within walking/staggering/rolling distance...we had all you can eat blue crab last year for $30/head...

And yes...the wait in the Pentagon parking lot can be brutal...either the suns out and it's hotter that you can stand or cold and rainy....and no matter what time you get there you can plan on a 5-6 hr wait from when you get there until you roll out...

Old 03-14-2008, 06:10 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

WE will be there Thursday. We bring some vets with us and my dad was a career Marine (DI at one time). It's a graet way to say thanks to some folks who were not properly thanked when they came home. Do visit one of the ealerships on Saturday. They all usually have some type of festivities there. We have ridden in with Ft washington HD and done it ourselves. Both ways are ok. Two years ago we got there late and ended up in the south lot. talk about a long wait. We finally moved about 4:30. It was so hot, we and about 100 other folks ended up waiting under an overpass. Some folks had a pizza delived there. Just a side note, make sure to carry a snack. There usually are only some extremely hard pretzels for sale there.

See ya there

Bubba

Old 03-15-2008, 01:34 PM
SeadogCVA43
Advanced

Way to call it BLUE06CLASSIC..........it's NOT a parade although most act like it is.
As you said its a protest/demonstration message to our govt. but I'll add its also about Honor.
(see bottom of this about Marine Staff Sgt. Tim Chambers)

Been going every year since '93.
We stay out in Winchester Va., plenty of motels there haven't jacked up their rates and a nice easy ride each day of 50 miles into DC either on the slab or Rt 50, mostly nice countryside.

Also next door to Shenandoah National Park. Now there is a ride you have to take. The ride is about 90 miles long on the top of the mountian ridges (3000-4000ft) overlooking the Shenandoah Valley. Once you are in the park (for $7) there are only2 exits, each about 1/3 of the way of the total distance, unless of course you turn around. A GREAT ride, nice twisties, watch for deer, plenty of pulloffs for taking in the views. take your time & catch lunch or dinner on the other side.

Someone in this thread mentioned the Marine that salutes all the riders in the Rolling Thunder ride as they pass. His name is TIM CHAMBERS and he does this since 2002 in the middle of that road and holds his salute for the entire ride, 3-4 hours. If you haven't seen this remarkable act, go to the corner of Constitution Ave and return the salute.
Read about him here and search the web for him, becauseI don't have the words, he deserves the recognition.
http://auto.military.com/roadwarrior...ips/97682.html

Old 03-15-2008, 07:09 PM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Seadog,
You're right, it is a protest, however, since the government flies the POW/MIA flag the Governmentwants to send a false message toJohn Q hopeing that he will think it's the Government's idea!!
And Yes, it's not a parade, it's as you stated, it's more of a processionto do with Honor than a parade.

Also, thanks for the link about Marine Staff Sgt. Tim Chambers. I didn't learn untill now that I was returning a hand salute to the same Marine all those times. Now, of course, I had to salute with left hand, because myright hand was busy, as you know, there was NO disrespect in my left hand salute. Far as how long he holds that salute, it's got to be more than 3 or 4 hours, I've looked as riding by the pentagon parking lot, 5 and 6 hours after the starting Roll and there were still bikes waiting to leave.

There are those that take this as an oppertunity to cash in on the crowd. Those folks that come up to you with a story to get you to donate, more times than not don't even have a clue why we are there.One fund raiserasked with a jolly voice and big smile, "Well, are you here for the party?" that just rubs me the wrong way, but, try to explain and it to often falls onto deaf ears.

And Yes, the skyline Parkway is a sight to behold and a ride to enjoy.

thanks for your post

Riding for those who can't
God bless our Warriors and Their Families
chappy

ORIGINAL: SeadogCVA43

Way to call it BLUE06CLASSIC..........it's NOT a parade although most act like it is.
As you said its a protest/demonstration message to our govt. but I'll add its also about Honor.
(see bottom of this about Marine Staff Sgt. Tim Chambers)

Been going every year since '93.
We stay out in Winchester Va., plenty of motels there haven't jacked up their rates and a nice easy ride each day of 50 miles into DC either on the slab or Rt 50, mostly nice countryside.

Also next door to Shenandoah National Park. Now there is a ride you have to take. The ride is about 90 miles long on the top of the mountian ridges (3000-4000ft) overlooking the Shenandoah Valley. Once you are in the park (for $7) there are only2 exits, each about 1/3 of the way of the total distance, unless of course you turn around. A GREAT ride, nice twisties, watch for deer, plenty of pulloffs for taking in the views. take your time & catch lunch or dinner on the other side.

Someone in this thread mentioned the Marine that salutes all the riders in the Rolling Thunder ride as they pass. His name is TIM CHAMBERS and he does this since 2002 in the middle of that road and holds his salute for the entire ride, 3-4 hours. If you haven't seen this remarkable act, go to the corner of Constitution Ave and return the salute.
Read about him here and search the web for him, becauseI don't have the words, he deserves the recognition.
http://auto.military.com/roadwarrior...ips/97682.html

Old 03-15-2008, 08:45 PM
SeadogCVA43
Advanced

Chappy,
Thanks for your words. I agree w/ your thoughts andI cringe when I see someone run up to a TV camera to be interviwed.
In my neighborhood here in SW Ohio, the 1st Iraq MIA, Matt Maupin is well remembered on signs by local businesses and such. I don't question our military's efforts to find him but I do question the govt. policies that hogtie our troops efforts. I believe there are 4 more MIA butI never hear anything in the news.

On a lighter note, There is a bar in fairfax called The Patriot Bar, owned by an ex WW2 POW.
We patronize it every year. Stop in if your in the area.
One year, an older gentelman was going in as we arrived, he said "you boys Vets?" Yup.
He sez come in, let me buy you all a drink.In talking w/ him, he was a retired General, David Cole. At the time he was VP of AOL or something, I still have his business card.
He was a Capt. in the Nam. Every time another group arrived... you guys Vets?....buying you a drink! This went on for 2-3 hours and he had a $800 bar bill I think. But that's the kind of comaraderie you find during Rolling Thunder. Every year, always a good memory.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:29 PM
gabhart
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Will be there with my wife and son ridingin the"Ride of the Patriots" with Patriot H-D.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:33 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be coming in from FL so maybe staying someplace a bit south of DC would be a good idea. Anyone tried somewhere down towardQuantico?

Old 03-16-2008, 06:31 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 22,059 Likes on 8,481 Posts

There is a Locust Shade Park on Route 1 that is between the two gates of Quantico. I don't know if they offer other than RV camping. Also the Aquia Pines Camp Resort on Route 1, just north of Exit 143 from I-95.
If you do a search for camping in the following counties of Virginia, you will come up with quite a few.
In Virginia: Fairfax, Prince William, Stafford, Loudoun, Fauquier, Rappahanock, Spotsylvania, King George.
In Maryland: Montgomery, Prince Georges, Charles, Frederick Howard, Anne Arundel, Washington. All these counties are within the normal commuting distance of Washington DC. in the order of distance.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:50 AM
Point Man
Cruiser

We are heading down from Boston. At the parking lot before the start, I assume they have rest room facilities there (johnny-on-the-spots)?

We are also staying at Ramblin Pines campground in MD, about 45 min. north of DC. Going to tour the York H-D plant on Tuesday after the holiday, too.

Quick Reply: Rolling Thunder XXI - who's going?