Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filters - Brand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 05:36 PM
PFD232
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Filters - Brand?

Wix all the way!!!! I used to work for Napa and we took and bought every kind of oil filter known to man and cut the shell off to show people what was inside the oil filter they are buying. Mosyt are built so cheap with paper filters,sprung steel to hold filter instead of a spring. It would scare you to see what you are putting on your scooter! Wix is the only filter I will use on all my vehicles! You can get it in chrome also.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:53 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

ORIGINAL: PFD232

Wix all the way!!!! I used to work for Napa and we took and bought every kind of oil filter known to man and cut the shell off to show people what was inside the oil filter they are buying. Mosyt are built so cheap with paper filters,sprung steel to hold filter instead of a spring. It would scare you to see what you are putting on your scooter! Wix is the only filter I will use on all my vehicles! You can get it in chrome also.
Would that be part #51348?

Old 03-13-2008, 05:58 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,998 Likes on 1,731 Posts

What about blue ones?

Old 03-13-2008, 06:03 PM
wiseguyups
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the K&N, never tried the WIX, have used the HD, don't like the ones Thru Amsoil had a little seepage with them.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:04 PM
tarheelrdr
Tourer

+1
ORIGINAL: PFD232

Old 03-13-2008, 06:07 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

ORIGINAL: dawg

What about blue ones?
Yeah, if you are desparate, color blind or both.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Scootr
Road Master

ORIGINAL: dawg

What about blue ones?
Those are my favorite filters ever since I saw yours I just settle and use the HD chrome one.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:54 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

K&N chrome. Same filter on both my bikes. The nut on the end makes it simple to change. Also use the aluminum foil trick to keep the oil off the frame.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:12 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bluzmn59

I use K&N filters on both of my bikes. They are great quality and actually have a nut on the top of the filter so you can use a regular socket w/ extension to remove them. Check eBay for good prices.
+1 - Agree

Old 03-13-2008, 08:15 PM
BGHV65
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WIX is a great filter and less expensive alternative than the HD. For those of you dyed-in-the-wool HD brand buyers you're just over paying for a Purolator as Huff said. While the WIX doesn't have the nut on the end (which I think is uglier'n hell!) it is available in black (51348) or chrome (57348) at most parts stores but especially O'REILLY AUTO PARTS. If your local O'Reilly store doesn't have it in stock, it will be there the next day with NO SHIPPING charges, just have them order it. I wouldn't put a FRAM on my bicycle. I too have had filter displays with every conceivable brand opened up....and I've been in the parts business for 35 years.

Quick Reply: Oil Filters - Brand?