Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Cam Road King in Chicago - needs SERT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:22 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Twin Cam Road King in Chicago - needs SERT?

first anything before 07 Hd's will NOT compensate for any changes.
And after only minor changes.
You should not need to do anything if just mufflers were changed
but would be helpful if a stage one reflash was done.
First since you obviously don't have the tools, it needs to go to dealer.
They need to check for trouble codes.
May have a faulty Head temp sensor, and or a IAC.
But whatever you do, do NOT adjust the idle yourself, it will make things worse.
The Ecm normally raises the idle for 15 -20 seconds on avg on a start.
Then reads the sensors to readjust.
But if it is doing it when completely warmed up, It may think the engine is
over heating and revs up to cool down, this is normally a bad head temp sensor.
But a scan will determine this.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:44 PM
steelhead
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The late 90's and early 2000 models had the Magneti-Marreli (sic?) EFI. They switched to the Delphi system in '02 I believe. The M-M system was well known for idle problems. Usually it was the idle would keep getting faster and faster.

I have an '01 RKC witht eh M-M system and have had no problem with it but have heard of plenty that do.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Klinger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the email murphyslaw1978.

From my earlier post, the first problems identified with my 2000RKC were confirmed to bethe Engine Temperature sensor, which was reading all over the place and throttle postition sensor which would read only 70% at miximum throttle.So, both sensors were replaced with the results being that:
(a) the ETS was reading accurately - that problem fixed
(b) no effect on the reading of throttle position (i.e. 70% max), - that problem not fixed - and,
(c) after replacement of both sensors,teh bike was very difficult to start and when finally coaxed into life it ran like a hairy goat - a whole new and much bigger problem.

New ECM arrives next Tuesday, but have advice that if this does not fix the problem I will not be charged for the part! This is beign replacedas a result of what I believe to be exhaustive diagnostics as wellasconsultation with HD USA to find out if any other known problems/fixes could be investigated. I'm prepared to pay for the temp sensor as there was obviously a problem there, but not sure if I should be expected to pay for the throttle positon sensor as this didn't fix anything.

I'll try to post the outcome hereabout next Tuesday -let's hope there is a final outcome to post -although after having the bike in the shop for 5 weeks I may notbe able to set aside the time to post - I'll be out on a nice long ride somewhere. In that time I've missed a charity ride and this weekend I miss a very popular HOG Director's ride.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:32 AM
murphyslaw1978
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: choochoo

first anything before 07 Hd's will NOT compensate for any changes.
And after only minor changes.
You should not need to do anything if just mufflers were changed
but would be helpful if a stage one reflash was done.
First since you obviously don't have the tools, it needs to go to dealer.
They need to check for trouble codes.
May have a faulty Head temp sensor, and or a IAC.
But whatever you do, do NOT adjust the idle yourself, it will make things worse.
The Ecm normally raises the idle for 15 -20 seconds on avg on a start.
Then reads the sensors to readjust.
But if it is doing it when completely warmed up, It may think the engine is
over heating and revs up to cool down, this is normally a bad head temp sensor.
But a scan will determine this.
While I agree that it could be a temp sensor, I don't see why I can't try adjusting the idle myself. It clearly is a little bit off. The cold idle should be 1500, not 1700. And the hot is 1050-1200. So I figure I should at least get the cold down to 1500 and the hot down to 950 and see what happens.

It's a fairly routine thing to do in the manual and I don't see the harm in doing it, really.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:35 AM
murphyslaw1978
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Klinger

Thanks for the email murphyslaw1978.

From my earlier post, the first problems identified with my 2000RKC were confirmed to bethe Engine Temperature sensor, which was reading all over the place and throttle postition sensor which would read only 70% at miximum throttle.So, both sensors were replaced with the results being that:
(a) the ETS was reading accurately - that problem fixed
(b) no effect on the reading of throttle position (i.e. 70% max), - that problem not fixed - and,
(c) after replacement of both sensors,teh bike was very difficult to start and when finally coaxed into life it ran like a hairy goat - a whole new and much bigger problem.

New ECM arrives next Tuesday, but have advice that if this does not fix the problem I will not be charged for the part! This is beign replacedas a result of what I believe to be exhaustive diagnostics as wellasconsultation with HD USA to find out if any other known problems/fixes could be investigated. I'm prepared to pay for the temp sensor as there was obviously a problem there, but not sure if I should be expected to pay for the throttle positon sensor as this didn't fix anything.

I'll try to post the outcome hereabout next Tuesday -let's hope there is a final outcome to post -although after having the bike in the shop for 5 weeks I may notbe able to set aside the time to post - I'll be out on a nice long ride somewhere. In that time I've missed a charity ride and this weekend I miss a very popular HOG Director's ride.
Good luck! Yes, the MM fuel injection system on these bikes was replaced in 2001 because there were many upgraded changes to the system. And so those like us who have problems might pay a fortune to fix them. On the other hand, I bought my bike used and saved about $8k, and have that amount to spend on repairs if I need to.

That said, my bike does run very well. I think I can get the idle to within limits or else just live with it because it's not that bad.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:00 PM
murphyslaw1978
Cruiser

I finally was able to buy the right TORX bits required for this job, and was able to adjust the hot idle speed on my bike. I dropped it down to around 1000rpm. The cold is still at 1700, but I can live with that. For the 10 minutes that the engine is warming up, the idle actually drops below 1000, sometimes getting close to 850-900. I know these engines should stay 950-1050, but during those 10 minutes of warm-up, I don't mind it and I'm usually driving it anyway. It's when the bike is hot that I want to run 950-1000 and that's what I've got.