Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Ultra Classic High Idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:02 PM
briggs07
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: High Idle TY Beaucomp problem solved

Had the same problem, went to dealer, cycle the ignition 4 times waiting 15 seconds between cycles and problem solved. Also was told it was from shutting the engine off with the kill switch when the bike was not idling at the correct speed.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:46 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 08 Ultra and I have had no problems, but I was told that it had to do with the throttle. Once you turn on the kill switch and ignition switch and you move the throttle I was told that it would run at a high idle sort of a memory. Badfinger had it correct on the reset, I use the kill switch first then the ignition switch second being careful not to twist the throttle when doing this. So far no problems.

Take Care

Old 04-24-2008, 11:26 PM
DrBob81
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 75 sportster didn't do that....

I heard about...

I guess...

It's a TBW issue...

It's an ECM issue...

It's the kill switch...

It's moving the throttle at shut off...

It's the EITMS...

Ah, it's probably just your imagination...

If 85% of the people on this forum have not had the problem, you must be lying...

Just don't feel like the Lone Ranger!

Old 04-25-2008, 12:36 AM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bluerose: Respectfully, IMHO you are wrong. The fast idle problem has EVERYTHING to do with either the physical construction of the TBW system and/or its programming within the ECM. Please see my reply to you in your TBW Poll thread. Thanks, ............ BC

Old 04-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Big Cholla

Bluerose: Respectfully, IMHO you are wrong. The fast idle problem has EVERYTHING to do with either the physical construction of the TBW system and/or its programming within the ECM. Please see my reply to you in your TBW Poll thread. Thanks, ............ BC
Diffences of opinionshelp weed things out

Still yet to be seen. The reset does not involve the manipulation of the throttle...it sets a rest point.

In fact the items you manipulate to make the settings run through different wiring(ignition & controls, vs Trottle), though I'm betting there is likely a signal that runs though the TBW to check the position for reset in the TBW sensor during the reset.The fact remains that there is a setting in the ECM that is being allowed to be manipulated....it is that item that is the culpurit be it a bad idea of allowing the idle to be changed by reving and using the kill switch, or if it is a specific sensor in the system as youwrotein your other post. But you also said you would go as far as replacing the ECM or the brain.

The distinction here is that the issue is with the idle and not causing "Throttle" issues. I think that several issues are being lumped into one issue (idle, throttle, cruise control, etc). Not doubting the issues just defining them I guess.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:29 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Still wonderin' why they went to the TBW system in the first place. Does anybody know?

Thanks,

John

Old 10-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Cury
Stage I
Default High Idle in Brazil...

I've just bought an 2008 Ultra Classic down here in Brazil and I'm having the same trouble... just 1 week after I got the bike, whenever I start=2000rpm; back to the dealership, they said no one else ever complained about this... so I googled it and found you guys.... THANKS!!!!

Old 10-26-2008, 09:31 PM
dwhite74
Advanced

My o8 ultra was doing the same thing and i tookit back to the dealer and they had a computer "fix" download...hasnt done it since.no charge

Old 10-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Javawave
Tourer

Originally Posted by beaucoup_dinkydow
Had the same symptoms you're having.
Found out it's using the kill switch to turn the bike off that causes it,
although the owner's manual says to shut down with the kill switch.
Turn on the ignition switch, wait until the orange light goes out and then turn it off.
Do that 6 times and it will reset your idle.
Use the ignition switch to turn the bike off after that.
I only have to do it 3 times, but it works for me when ever my idle gets high.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:22 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Had the same problem on my '09 Ultra. Took it back to the dealer to find that the calibration was off so they reflashed the 'puter. Always starts at high RPM like 1800 +/- acting like a "choke" and eventually goes down 30-45 seconds then the rest is history. Runs like a champ now.

Ride safe,

Thorey

Quick Reply: 2008 Ultra Classic High Idle