Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride over 80 with lowered suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 11:59 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Ride over 80 with lowered suspension

Got a Race Tech dual gold valve emulator cartridge set up on my 21" SG, lowered 1". The Race Tech kit provides for a substantially better ride than stock. You do want to be sure and get the right spring set for your weight and riding style. They can range from firm to soft. The biggest problem with any of these systems is that you can't re-adjust without taking the front end off again. In my case, my bike runs outstanding up to about 80...I meanREALLYsuperior ride, then it starts to get too rigid. Not wobbly or any kind of loss of control, just a feeling of the springs tensing and responding to each road irregularity with a soft damp, but a bit too rigid. At no other speeds does it do that. The guy who did mine is a Race Tech Master dealer and installer and puts 100's if not thouands on sport bikes as well as Harleys and is very good at tuning them in. I don't believe a lot of people would even find what I'm describing as an issue, but I am very picky and will likely have them adjusted when I put my new Fatcat on early next week. The problem with the "adjustment" is that there really is no trial and error. In my case you have to soften a bit and hope you don't create a too soft ride everywhere as well as over 80 speeds.Anyone else experience that with a Race Tech kit or any front endlowering kit on a SG ? I really don't believe it's the 21" Metzeler, but I could be wrong and if so, willing to accept that. I honestly can say I love how the 21" tire runs on the SG up to right at 80, like it's on rails and smooth and sure footed, but the 80+ issue really bugs me.
Oh yeah, slowing down isn't an option

Old 04-27-2008, 12:01 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Ride over 80 with lowered suspension

You know the answer to your problem, right?

Old 04-27-2008, 12:06 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Ride over 80 with lowered suspension

I'm guessing you're meaning slow down or "that's what you get with a 21" wheel/tire
First guess isn't really an option for better or worse. Second guess, could be. But I just don't think so given the quality of ride leading up to that speed.