Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bars for 08 SG with TBW?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Vettepro
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bars for 08 SG with TBW?

I think I'd like to put some bars on my 08 StreetGlide that are maybe 3" higher, without having to cut and splice the wires to the throttle.I, myself, really don't have a problemwith lengthening the wires. I just want to make sure if I have any issues with idle or anything, they won't blame it on my splicing.
It's already had one event where it idled high for a couple of hours for no apparent reason.
Anyone know about how much I can extend the bars without moddinganything else?
Are there particular brands that work specifically with the TBW?

Old 04-27-2008, 08:24 PM
tinker
Cruiser
Default RE: Bars for 08 SG with TBW?

This is an 08 right? The idle thing is related to the drive by wire throttle. If you have it throttled up when you shut her down the throttle resets with that position being zero. When I got my bike back after they installed the pipes and intake mods, it fired up HOT.. high revs. One of their wrenches was walking by when this happened and I watched him fix it.. If I hadn't seen it, I would have thought is was being BS'd if they had just told me. What he did was fire it up 4 times, leaving it idle for something like 5 seconds each time. After the fourth time it reset.. Sounds like black magic to me... but I saw it and it worked. He said the factory knows of the problem and are working on a solution.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Vettepro
Intermediate

Fly by wire stuff is weird. I actually own a Corvette performance shop and tune ECMs for the Corvettes as part of what I do.
I can absolutely see that some weird sequence of starting and shutting off would reset the idle.
I want to get the software and figure out how to tune these things myself. Right now I'm at the mercy of the HD dealers until I do.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:37 PM
candyx
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still waiting for the fly by wire to work cause my tires have yet to leave the ground.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:37 PM
rmouse
Advanced

I installed a set of heritage bars that were modified for the Electronic throttle and worked just fine with the stock wiring and cables, they added 3" to 4" of additional rise. I have since installed Wild 1 chubbys with 12 1/2" of rise and like them even more, however it did require spliciing wires and new front brake lines and clutch cable.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:28 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your problem is not going to be the TBW wires being long enough, it's the rest of the wiring to the signal, cruise, etc. On my RKC they were not much longer than what was needed to run the stock bars. I myself went with the RK high bars. Perfect combo of rise and pullback, but had to cut and solder the TBW wiring to fit through the new bars. Works perfect!