Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Charge Or Not To Charge!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: To Charge Or Not To Charge!?

ORIGINAL: cowboyglide

Do you put your cars and trucks on a battery tender everytime you come home? I still have the orginal battery in my 03 Duece I bought in 02 and it has never been on a tender and it stillholds a charge all winter. My 07 SG has also never beenon a tender.
If it makes you feel good to have it on a tender 24/7 that's fine and it won't hurt anything butsure isn't necessary for long battery life.
I agree that using a battery tender is not necessary, I'm just a little cautious because last year the battery on my 02 Dyna took a dump on me....there was absolutely no indication it was going. Wife and I took off for a ride and (luckily) only got about 20 miles out of town when it died. Unfortunately while we were waiting for the brother-in-law to come pick us up the bike was sitting on the side of road just off the ditch when a freak gust of wind came up and blew the bike over into the ditch and damaged stuff on the right side of the bike. Got it into the shop and found out that either the battery took out the stator, or the stator took out the battery, but by the time I got out of the shop my "new battery" ended up costing me nearly $1200. I had been told once before by a reputable mechanic and again at the shop when I got the Dyna out that many riders choose to replace their battery every 3 years whether there is any sign of failure or not. Now I readily agree that you can sometimes get 4, 5, or even 6 years out of a battery, but after about 3 you are "riding on borrowed time", and if you ride like I do which is frequently out in the middle of nowhere a failed battery means major problems. So my 08 Ultra is going to get a new battery every 3 years and I'm going to keep it on a tender as much as possible during that time. My particular incident just proved to me that a failed battery can potentially lead to many other unexpected problems and $110 every 3 years is not very much to pay to avoid them.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:24 AM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Windup08

Do you put your cars and trucks on a battery tender everytime you come home? I still have the orginal battery in my 03 Duece I bought in 02 and it has never been on a tender and it stillholds a charge all winter. My 07 SG has also never beenon a tender.
If it makes you feel good to have it on a tender 24/7 that's fine and it won't hurt anything butsure isn't necessary for long battery life.
I agree that using a battery tender is not necessary, I'm just a little cautious because last year the battery on my 02 Dyna took a dump on me....there was absolutely no indication it was going. Wife and I took off for a ride and (luckily) only got about 20 miles out of town when it died. Unfortunately while we were waiting for the brother-in-law to come pick us up the bike was sitting on the side of road just off the ditch when a freak gust of wind came up and blew the bike over into the ditch and damaged stuff on the right side of the bike. Got it into the shop and found out that either the battery took out the stator, or the stator took out the battery, but by the time I got out of the shop my "new battery" ended up costing me nearly $1200. I had been told once before by a reputable mechanic and again at the shop when I got the Dyna out that many riders choose to replace their battery every 3 years whether there is any sign of failure or not. Now I readily agree that you can sometimes get 4, 5, or even 6 years out of a battery, but after about 3 you are "riding on borrowed time", and if you ride like I do which is frequently out in the middle of nowhere a failed battery means major problems. So my 08 Ultra is going to get a new battery every 3 years and I'm going to keep it on a tender as much as possible during that time. My particular incident just proved to me that a failed battery can potentially lead to many other unexpected problems and $110 every 3 years is not very much to pay to avoid them.
You can always push start it and ride it home. I've done that several times over the last 30 years

Old 05-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jsimo7

You can always push start it and ride it home. I've done that several times over the last 30 years
Not on the new bikes you can't. Between lights always being on and the electricity needed by the ECU and fuel pump the system will not generate enough electricity to keep it running if the battery is totally gone.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

ORIGINAL: OD_Cleaver

24/7???

You guys are nuts.

OD
+1

Old 05-01-2008, 10:00 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

There is no 100% foolproof way to determine when any battery will fail. With a lead acid battery, a bump in the road could cause something to short between the plates and cause a dead cell. Just the constant vibration of our motorcycles can contribute to this. There is just no way to know when this might happen.
The absolute best situation for a lead acid battery is to be treated just as we treat it in our cars. It needs to be kept in the mode of being constantly charged and discharged. This keeps the chemical processes working and does not allow the build-up of impurities on the plates. The more you work it, the longer it will last.
The worst condition for the battery is to keep it on any charging system that will maintain it to 100% charge all the time.
If there is no load being placed on the battery, the plates are not flexing and the system is not working. Without the plates heating and flexing, deposites are allowed to form on the plates and the possibility ofshorts between plates is increased.
I'm by no means a battery expert, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I will tell you this much.
Emergency Generator power systems in hospitals maintain their batteries in a state of constant charge and they use charging systems that are both voltage and load sensitive.
It is normal practice for these institutions to replace their batteries every 2 years, and many choose to replace them every year. This has become normal practice due to the rate of failure of batteries that are left in service for longer than that.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:04 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Colorado. I only put it on when it's cold and I might not ride for a month or 2. 24/7??? I think that is crazy. My salesman at the Harley dealership said he has never used a tender and told me to buy something elase

Old 05-01-2008, 10:21 AM
jsimo7
Road Master

ORIGINAL: jsimo7

Not on the new bikes you can't. Between lights always being on and the electricity needed by the ECU and fuel pump the system will not generate enough electricity to keep it running if the battery is totally gone.
Iv'e had a 99 Ultra with fuel injection and pushed started it three times over the years, and just had my battery go bad in my 08 ultra (defective battery) and push started it 2 weeks ago , also pushed my buddies 04 ultra last fall without a problem. When I took my 08 to the dealer for a replacement battery the battery in it would only generate 13 cca (cold cranking amps).
Every time the batterys did have enough to run the fuel pump (very slowly) before we pushed them. If the fuel pump will build pressure it will start when pushed. Most of the time batterys will have enough to run thefuel pumpand ECM but not enough for the starter. If it isCOMPLETELY dead it won't start. Just wanted to let the members know that push starting is an option. Be careful when doing it andbe sure to get someone to push while you are in the driver position, use 2nd gear so the tire doesnt skid when you pop the clutch. It may be a better choice than sitting along side the road. Just some FYI thoughts

Old 05-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Received 520 Likes on 268 Posts

I would have to agree. Like with my laptop batteries, they tell you let them drain down all the way. Otherwise they will not charge fully to 100%. They told me that batterieshave a memory. With what was suggested here, I fear that I may 'over charge' my battery even if it is brand new.Experience is how it is so I'll take what is said here into consideration. I appreciate it.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:53 PM
RK_Dave
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+9 24/7

Dave...

Old 05-01-2008, 01:54 PM
jsimo7
Road Master

Lead acid batteries should not be completely discharged, they are diffferent than dry batteries that are in electronics

Quick Reply: To Charge Or Not To Charge!?