Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

He asked my why do you have the quietest harley I have ever heard!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 05:09 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
Default RE: He asked my why do you have the quietest harley I have ever heard!!!

How about "Because I like to be different" or maybe "bein' like everybody else ain't my thang, Bro".

Ride safe,

John

Old 05-16-2008, 05:15 AM
Jeepin_Lawyer
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: He asked my why do you have the quietest harley I have ever heard!!!

I wasn't there but maybe he was just trying to make conversation. I have people all the time come up for a look often they will say something kinda strange or weird but I just write it up as that they are just in a trance from the bike.

The following users liked this post:
dkleiner (03-07-2019)
Old 05-16-2008, 05:53 AM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Non bike people can say silly or even stupid things to a biker. They have no idea about the whole thing.

Sometimes older guys, like really older guys, at ice cream stands come over to my bikes and look around them and then start asking questions. I can tell they just like machinery and maybe know a little bit about internal combustion engines, and they just like to jabber to pass the time of day, and are curious about the bike.

It's usually great fun talking to them. I've had 80 year old ladies say to me "I used to ride with my boy friend when I was young." ...then they give me some big sweet grin, evidently remembering back to the days. I'll always reply, "..and I'm sure you were looking pretty fine on that back of that guys bike!"

I just have fun with it, when I can.

The following 2 users liked this post by oldhippie:
mctraveler (03-09-2019), rick601 (03-09-2019)
Old 05-16-2008, 05:56 AM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

PS Jamie at fuelmoto can help you with all that quiet stuff.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:57 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Doesn't sound like he was jealous. Sounds like he was curious. Most of the general non-riding population equate Harleys with loud exhaust. I think you read too much into it. And to come off with that cynical attitude instead of just answering the guy question doesn't help the non-riding populations perception of people who ride. Personally if I was the guy I would had told you to *** off if you came at me like that just for asking a question.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:58 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

I get that question ALOT!!! I just smile, and tell 'em "because i already have a big *****".... that shuts them up

Old 05-16-2008, 06:05 AM
Hugh Jass
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I brought my 08 SG home, my kids came out to check it out and they said, "Are you sure that's a Harley? That's really quiet." I walked past them and intomy house, got on ebay and ordered RH True Duals. Put them on and the rest is history. The stocks do sound like a Honda. Its just the way it is.

Now I have had the same typeignorant comments from people on ther things like, "You don't have a true Harley, because you got ABS on it. Why would anyone put ABS on a bike?" That came from my brother'sidiot neighbor who has NEVER owned a bike nor rode one. But he does have the HD T shirts and chained wallet, oh yeah and a HD dew-rag.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:51 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had lots of people, frequently elderly retired types come up to me at rest areas and start asking questions....once they find out you are friendly and willing to talk its amazing some of the storries you hear. To me it has always been well worth my time to show anyone with interest that bikers are human too.

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (03-09-2019)
Old 05-16-2008, 06:58 AM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just explain to him why it was quiet instead of a smart remark?

Is that so difficult to do?

Some people take much more time to be a jerk than being friendly and explaining things.It's like they left their brain home.

What makes you feel he was jealous of you?

Old 05-16-2008, 07:04 AM
jamesrgarner
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is you just said "thank you"? Sounds to me like he was interested in your scoot.

Quick Reply: He asked my why do you have the quietest harley I have ever heard!!!