Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best tire pressure to run my 08 Ultra??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:11 AM
elpoman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best tire pressure to run my 08 Ultra??

I did a search, and found info, on sidewallversusthe manual pressure, fortires. What I'm interested in, is do any of you, run your tire pressure a little more than the 36 psi recommended by themanual, for riding one up? I have had guys recommend a couple extra lbs because of the weight of the bike. The DIY video mechanic guy even said on his video, that he runs 40 psi on his Road King.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:15 AM
rick867
Advanced
Default RE: best tire pressure to run my 08 Ultra??

38 front-40 rear and 16 in shocks

Old 05-19-2008, 09:19 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: elpoman

I did a search, and found info, on sidewallversusthe manual pressure, fortires. What I'm interested in, is do any of you, run your tire pressure a little more than the 36 psi recommended by themanual, for riding one up? I have had guys recommend a couple extra lbs because of the weight of the bike. The DIY video mechanic guy even said on his video, that her runs 40 psi on his Road King.
Don't second guess the people that manufactured the bike. Follow your owner's manual recommendations. H-D engineers don't pull those numbers out of thin air.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: XTrooper3936

I did a search, and found info, on sidewallversusthe manual pressure, fortires. What I'm interested in, is do any of you, run your tire pressure a little more than the 36 psi recommended by themanual, for riding one up? I have had guys recommend a couple extra lbs because of the weight of the bike. The DIY video mechanic guy even said on his video, that her runs 40 psi on his Road King.
Don't second guess the people that manufactured the bike. Follow your owner's manual recommendations. H-D engineers don't pull those numbers out of thin air.
I would never follow the recommendation of the bike's owner's manual....follow the recommendations of the tire manufacturer....depending on brand of tire you may need to run way more air than the Harley owner's manual calls for. I know Metzler's call for around 50 psi. On my stock Dunlops I run 40 rear, 38 front either solo or with the wife and me....would run a little higher if loaded down for a trip.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:46 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember that HD is making a judgement call based on both safety AND ride quality. Ah don't mind a harsher ride in return for firmer/tighter handlin' in the twisties...

Old 05-19-2008, 09:52 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Windup08

I would never follow the recommendation of the bike's owner's manual....follow the recommendations of the tire manufacturer....depending on brand of tire you may need to run way more air than the Harley owner's manual calls for. I know Metzler's call for around 50 psi. On my stock Dunlops I run 40 rear, 38 front either solo or with the wife and me....would run a little higher if loaded down for a trip.
FYI, the tire manufacturer's recommendation is a general one that has to cover every vehicle a particular tire can be mounted on. It is NOT necessarily the ideal tire pressure for every one of those vehicles. The vehicle manufacturer determines the optimum tire pressure for that tire on their vehicle(s).

P.S.- I'd never suggest to anyone that they ignore the recommendations found in their owner's manual.

The following users liked this post:
Mahoyvan (05-02-2021)
Old 05-19-2008, 10:25 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

38 front/40 rear for me.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:37 AM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, 38 front 40 rear. Works for me.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Sportsterjeep
Advanced

36 front, 38 rear on sporty and solo on the ultra, two up on ultra the rear is at 40. 15 to 20 in the shocks depending on load.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

...do any of you, run your tire pressure a little more than the 36 psi recommended by themanual, for riding one up?...
Yes, 37 front and 38 rear on stock Dunlops. More than that and the ride becomes a bit more harsh and the bike begins to develop a tendency to wander.

Quick Reply: best tire pressure to run my 08 Ultra??