Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet pipes with rumble for '08 Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:45 PM
CasperHD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quiet pipes with rumble for '08 Ultra?

I've done plenty of searches, but get all different opinions.

I want slip on or complete pipes for an '08 Ultra. I want that low rumble, but I want to hear the radio and I don't want to wake the neighbors every time I come home.

I'm not the guy who constantly blips the throttle to let everyone know he's here and he's riding a Harley. I always want to tell that guy to up the idle a little if he can't keep it running without constantly twisting the throttle at a stop light.

Supertrapp SE slip on mufflers? Someone said nice rumble, but nottoo loud. True? From http://fuelmotousa.com/supertrapp.htm
Vance and Hine Oval slip on? Someone said nice rumble, but nottoo loud; someone else said too loud. Which is it?

Others?

Are there differences between the '06 and older pipes? Should I only listen to pipes on other '08s? Or are they basically the same?

Thanks for any help. I know you've never read this post before..........

Old 05-28-2008, 01:50 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Quiet pipes with rumble for '08 Ultra?

The V&H ovals are NOT quiet mufflers. I would call them “on the quiet side of the louder mufflers” But not quiet by a long shot.

Any reason your not looking at HD screamin eagle? Ive tried them on my 07, and thought they sounded good. Just more quiet than I personally wanted. But from what your saying, its just what you want.

IMHO, if you want quiet but good sounding, the 4” SEs are what you want.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:22 PM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CasperHD

I've done plenty of searches, but get all different opinions.

I want slip on or complete pipes for an '08 Ultra. I want that low rumble, but I want to hear the radio and I don't want to wake the neighbors every time I come home.

I'm not the guy who constantly blips the throttle to let everyone know he's here and he's riding a Harley. I always want to tell that guy to up the idle a little if he can't keep it running without constantly twisting the throttle at a stop light.

Supertrapp SE slip on mufflers? Someone said nice rumble, but nottoo loud. True? From http://fuelmotousa.com/supertrapp.htm
Vance and Hine Oval slip on? Someone said nice rumble, but nottoo loud; someone else said too loud. Which is it?

Others?

Are there differences between the '06 and older pipes? Should I only listen to pipes on other '08s? Or are they basically the same?

Thanks for any help. I know you've never read this post before..........
I have been having the same issue you are. Not sure which slip ons to roll with. I was all set to get the Screamin' Eagle SP slip on's installed this Friday but all the guys at the dealership were talking me out of it. They said other than looks Screamin Eagle SP not much different than stock. They told me to save my money or get somehting else. I trust my dealer and really like them. I know they aren't out to screw me so I listen to them as I listen to all of you guys on the forum. Great advise. The pipe thing though is a hard one since EVERYONE has a different sound in mind that sounds good to them. My dealership said for what I was looking for (pretty much the same thing you are) the SuperTrapp SE Slip on is the way to go. I orded them today and hope to have them installed Friday. I haven't decided what tips to go with though. I have it down to: Turn Down or Tappered Billet. I will decide Friday when I get to the dealership which tips I will go with. From what everyone here says about the SuperTrap SE's though, I think it's a good call. I'm not going to do any other mods to my bike other than the slip ons. Dealership said that will be fine, most folks here say no issue and even a call to the folks at Supertrapp say not an issue if I am not adding a AC. Yea, I ask A LOT of questions.

Good luck with your choice!

T

Old 05-28-2008, 02:26 PM
psc
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wanted the same...went with VH dresser duals and the ovals. I am very very satisfied. Wifey and I still communicate, IPoD is loud and clear, and I still get cagers to come-to an alert status along the roadway. Best of luck!!

Old 05-28-2008, 02:27 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A buddy of mine has some Rush slip-ons which sound pretty damned good.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member

I have the VH Oval slip ons on my 08 Ultra and find them to have a nice sound. I am able to hear the radio just fine. I even wear foam ear plugs (wind protection) and am able to hear the radio/cd player just fine. VH is a great pipe, no blueing at all, good quality pipe.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:41 PM
caspr2
Tourer

For slip-ons just use the stock mufflers, after a few miles they sound pretty good.
For a complete exhaust system the quietest that I have heard that still has good sound are the R B Racing's Black Hole.
Kinda pricey and usually takes awhile to get them but they are the best I've seen or heard.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/lsr21blackhole.htm

Me I've got the D and D 2 into 1 with the quiet baffle, kinda noisey but not real loud.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Dickf5187
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: nemick

A buddy of mine has some Rush slip-ons which sound pretty damned good.

Ditto... installed Rush straight cut slip-ons with 2" baffles on my 08 Road King. Good quality, reasonable price. The sound is deep and has a very pleasant tone at cruise... aggresive if you get on the throttle. I'm happy.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased some new take-offs from a 2008 Screamin' Eagle Road King for next to nothing. They have a very slight increase in volume, but much deeper tone. I was looking more for the look than loudness.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:59 PM
TMART
Road Master

Put Rinehart slip-ons on mine,deep rumble,will bark when nailed and quiet at cruise speeds
kinda-pricey though.
just my 2 cents
Terry

Quick Reply: Quiet pipes with rumble for '08 Ultra?