Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Street Glide Fuel Pump Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 12:33 AM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2008 Street Glide Fuel Pump Issues

fuel pump went sunday 08 road glide with 800 miles, had it towed to local dealer on tuesday when they opened they said they were having a new pump pulled from production line and shipped out overnight. dealer called thursday afternoon and i can pick up my bike. new fuel pump was installed seems to be a problem with 08 touring models

Old 06-20-2008, 01:14 AM
Bluerose

Looks like I will be out in the garage tomorrow taking a quick look.&nbsp\\; I have 7300 miles and so far no issues but I would hate for this to fail when riding uphill (it's a big hill) during my morning commute.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:12 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bluerose
taking a quick look.
&nbsp\\;
There's really no way to do that unless you pull the console, etc. To do that you would then have to&nbsp\\;replace the top gasket and ten little screws.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-20-2008, 06:25 AM
ddwyer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My father in law just had the same issue with his Ultra Classic. Only had about 1400 miles on it, and of course it broke down in the most inconvenient place...about 100 miles from home.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:28 AM
OD_Cleaver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys,
&nbsp\\;
If you think that you have found a safety problem and want to get Harley's attention, check out the site below...
&nbsp\\;
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
&nbsp\\;
Buell did a safety recall a 1.5 to 2 years&nbsp\\;ago on their Ulysess model.&nbsp\\; The bank angle sensor was activating and killing the engine.&nbsp\\; The cause is different but the concern is the same.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-20-2008, 10:58 AM
speckfisher
Road Master

Thanks OD Cleaver for the website http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm. I went online and filled out the complaint form in detail. This entire issue should have been put out by Harley Davidson as a recall long before now. I have had my fill of my bike sitting at the dealership since 6-13-08 with the dealer telling me in good faith that the part was to come off of backorder on 6/17, then being told 6/23??? What will Harley Davidson tell their dealers this Monday?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
All of you riders out there that got your bike fixed with the current part are subject to&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;the same failure again. Harley Davidon has designated a new part number for the part that will be sent out after the backorder stops. This means a redesigned and modified part will replace the current one. The gentleman I spoke with at 414-343-4056 at Harley Davidson Manufactoring was completely aware of this issue and blamed it on their vendor who supplies the manufacturer with this part.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I encourage others to visit the listed website that OB Cleaver was so kind to furnish us with and fill out the complaint form.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I am very pro Harley Davidson but this problem should be addressed by them in the appropiate recall manner. Hey it is warranty work, but the average rider want know why their bike ceases to run at a critical moment unless it does not happen at all. Because the defective part was changed prior to&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;the rider&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;ever having the problem, due to a recall.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I thank all of you for your support and comments.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:00 AM
speckfisher
Road Master

Be proactive not reactive.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-20-2008, 11:32 AM
hdjoe88
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: elim9

I heard about this problem from some guys I met on a trip. I guess they are trying everything possible not to make it a recall. Has Harley ever had a recall???? I was told from a Harely mechanic that they get service bulletins for&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;problems like this and fix the bikes as they come in for service and upgrades without saying anything.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;By the way, Harley's do have emergency flashers. Just push both turn signal buttons&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;at the same time.
I've had some issues with the MOCO in the past but I've had 2 "recall notices" on my 06 Street Glide. They just call it something else: something about improving rider enjoyment, yada yada... You have to know how to play the H/D game. One way is to educate yourself via this forum. e.g. Problems with the fuel injectors that I learned about on the forum. Went to my dealer, mentioned the problem and he switched out the f/i to the 25 degree injectors while I waited.
Just as an aside: "no four way flashers" It amazes me the things people don't know about their $20K+ investments. Read the manual!

Old 06-20-2008, 08:46 PM
HDCHROME110
Intermediate

Could&nbsp\\;we get the part number of the new fuel pump&nbsp\\;part??
Was told it is a new number.
Thanks for you time

Old 06-20-2008, 09:26 PM
speckfisher
Road Master

You bet, I'm not letting this thing go until all of us are satisfied and informed. As soon as I get my SG fixed I will post the results with the new part number and full story. Hopefully that will be next week, I keep looking at the bare spot in the climate controlled bike garage. Wheep! Wheep!

Quick Reply: 2008 Street Glide Fuel Pump Issues