Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LEOS in action in NY

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Bill918
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LEOS in action in NY

I am an LEO in NJ and run a traffic unit.&nbsp\\; This should not be a NY thing.&nbsp\\; There is a US Supreme Court decision, Deleware vs. Prouse from about 1986, if I am not mistaken.&nbsp\\; in this ruling the bench said that police " must have an articuable reason" to stop a motor vehicle".&nbsp\\; This does not rise to the level of probable cause, but sure as hell prohibits the random stops of motor vehicles.&nbsp\\; For example, we are permitted to run DUI checkpoints in NJ.&nbsp\\; Prior to a checkpoint, if vehicles are going to to stopped randomly, we must submit a justification, similar to a search warrant application, to the county prosecutor.&nbsp\\; Mine usually runs about 40 pages of statistics, liquor license and crash statistics, etc.&nbsp\\; If approved, we cannot stop random vehicles, but we can stop every 4th or 5th vehicle, but the count must be clearly documented by a supervisor.&nbsp\\; If a vehicle is stopped out of this count, it must be for an articuable reason, which must be written in a report.&nbsp\\; Delaware v. Prouse is a US decision and binding on all states.&nbsp\\; Some may apply it differently, but it clearly prohibits random stops.&nbsp\\; Most of us are good guys and do more to protect the individual rights of citizens then the general politically correct population, so, a break would be appreciated.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyburch

i just renewed my American motorcycle association membership .. wasnt thinking about doing it but reading this made me mad. they really work hard to protect&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; motorcyle rights&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; so i rejoined.. wonder if they know about this.
&nbsp\\;
Yes they do know... last issue of American Motorcyclist had a sidebar about N.Y. troopers pulling over only bikes.&nbsp\\; They have been fighting N.Y. for the last year and losing - so I don't think an individual making a stink is going to get very far.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; The AMA's position is not that bikes shouldn't be pulled over, but that if bikes are being pulled over, then cars and trucks should be too...

Old 06-20-2008, 08:01 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checkpoints are fine IMO only as long as everyone gets pulled over, hell if they want to generate revenue why settle for such a thin piece of pie, pull over all the people driving without insurance, under the influence, not wearing seatbelts, invalid license, expired this or that etc., why target a single group when you can go for the whole enchilada, put checkpoints everywhere on every major highway, traffic might slow a bit, but think of the revenue for all the cash poor municipalities. I think we need a lot more laws written up so we can fine and harass way more people, all joking aside, we're a target in more ways than one.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Profman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an idea, have the cops stop&nbsp\\;only&nbsp\\;blacks driving rice-burners.&nbsp\\; This crap would be stopped post haste.&nbsp\\; This is discrimination.&nbsp\\; Period.&nbsp\\; End of story.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:08 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

This whole country is going to hell since 9-11. It starts at the top with looking for terrorists without PC and trickles down to mass checks for DUI and now biker harassment under the pretext of safety inspections without PC. PC meaning Probable Cause for all you people that say driving is a privilege, not a right and say if you are not doing something wrong it should not bother you. It is much more important than that.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:30 PM
titusvilleharley
Banned For Ripping Off HDF Members

am i living in cuba or america that is just wrong.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:56 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

ORIGINAL: leicafish

OK jump my wazoo if necessary. The law says no tampering with the exhaust&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;, DOT helmets, license, insurance and registration.
Well I did change my slip ons with the&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;EPA stamp and engine number to match(SE 50 state legal),&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I have a DOT&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;helmet, license, and pay dearly for the my insurance and registration. If everyone did the same no problem. But they don't so now we will all have the check points.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;And no I don't like it at all. Sooner or later this will be challenged when it does go over the top. But on the same token these rules need to be enforced like it or not. I have mention in the past its just the few that ruin it for all. But how about the industry showing some leadership also. All of these aftermarket manufactures are selling some real expensive add-ons that they&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;know are illegal. And they know that&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;sooner or later they will have to removed. Why don't we show the same outrage to them or demand they develop a product that is legal.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;But lets just blame the leo inforcing the law that we all know is the law. Just a different point of view. Why don't you take the Vance Hines, Reinharts, Cobras etc. back for a refund after you get a ticket.
&nbsp\\;
Your kidding right???&nbsp\\; if not ,&nbsp\\; its a few that ruin it all is how we feel about you......how about&nbsp\\; busting the drug dealers and carjackers .....you have to be joking with that post..........

Old 06-20-2008, 10:15 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I am normally a supporter of LEO's but this mass ticketing and unreasonable search and seizure is really pissing me off. I am an American and I have rights, I am not a frikken sheep. You guys need to ask your boss what the hell they are thinking, remember all the ***** that claimed they were just following orders at Nuremburg trials. Driving may be a privlege but my freedom of movement and ability to conduct commerce is not, its a right fought for and protected&nbsp\\;by many generations before us&nbsp\\;surely will be&nbsp\\;after us. I may sound a little dramatic but I am no Sheep.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:17 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser

&nbsp\\;. [align=left] [/align]

Old 06-20-2008, 10:54 PM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master

I definitely don't like these tactics. That kind of police work is designed to send a message. I think most people can understand the necessity of DUI road checks and even speed traps, but that is bull-poop. &nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: LEOS in action in NY