Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cams installed, NO POWER?? Wont rev high.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:28 PM
jcboof
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Cams installed, NO POWER?? Wont rev high.

Hey guys,&nbsp\\; I've just finished installing my new andrews tw26A cams in my 02 RKC and after getting everything buttoned back up.
The bike fired up instantly and idled great.&nbsp\\; Had a nice little lope to it,&nbsp\\; Let er warm up and took her out for a quick putt.&nbsp\\;
Everything sounded normal but the bike makes NO POWER.&nbsp\\; It has a nice bark at idle but it really struggles to rev up.
Almost like something is holding it back.&nbsp\\;
I figured that I may have the cam timing out of whack or something or possibly the pushrods not adjusted correctly.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; So I took everything back apart, and judging by the timing marks on the outer chain/gear assy, everything looks good,&nbsp\\; once I took the chain off the marks on the cams themselves
looked good,&nbsp\\; Its just hard to tell though,&nbsp\\; depending on which angle I look at it, it looks good, and other angles it looks like it may be off.
&nbsp\\;
I still have to get one pushrod out and then take the lifters out and then take the cam plate off.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Does cam timing sound like it could be my problem.&nbsp\\;
or maybe something else

Old 06-24-2008, 09:53 PM
jcboof
Tourer
Default RE: New Cams installed, NO POWER?? Wont rev high.

any ideas yet?

Old 06-24-2008, 10:16 PM
TUCK
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like it's wet sumping. Mine did the same thing after the cam change.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:37 PM
jcboof
Tourer

Wet sumping??&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; What would cause this?&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I installed a new oil pump oring and aligned the oil pump per the HD service manual.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-24-2008, 11:02 PM
bdaug50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my guy put my motor back together last winter, he pointed out a particular o-ring that if it goes bad or breaks up, it will cause the wet-sumping.&nbsp\\; I could check the o-rings that go with the oil pump and what not.&nbsp\\; Wish I could be more helpful but I really can't remember which one or ones it was.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:11 PM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure would like to know what is causing the issue. I will stay tuned...Good luck...&nbsp\\;

Old 06-25-2008, 03:31 AM
White Knight 04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you might be off on the inner cam chain a little....Or something is to tight....Might have to tear it back apart and recheck the inner cam sprockets for alignement....

Old 06-25-2008, 08:59 PM
jcboof
Tourer

Well,&nbsp\\; I&nbsp\\; checked the cam timing today and all is good,&nbsp\\; I had my wife pick up some oil pump o-rings today for me at the dealer and after putting everything back together,&nbsp\\; Everything is OK now.&nbsp\\; I guess it was just wet sumping really bad.&nbsp\\;
First time i've ever heard of this but I guess theres a first time for everything,&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; The motor pulls really strong now.&nbsp\\; I can definitely feel it in the
bottom end&nbsp\\; but the top end just doesnt seem to match the bottom end pull.&nbsp\\; Its&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;supposed to be a low end cam but I just now wish that it had
the same pull all the way across the power band.&nbsp\\; I mean it is still really good but it just doesnt seem to make much more power on the top end than
the stock cams.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I dont know,&nbsp\\; it just might be me and I might gain quite a bit more by having it tuned on a dyno.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks for all your help guys!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Coolhawg6622
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get it tuned as its running fat at the bottom after the change..........after some dyno work by a compitent tuner it will wake up...

Old 06-25-2008, 09:39 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

this may bew stupid, but did you check to see if you are getting full throttle?? We had a customer come in with the same symptoms and lo and behold no full throttle. Adjusted the cables and it was a miracle.

Quick Reply: New Cams installed, NO POWER?? Wont rev high.