Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 drive by wire high idle - road side fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 01:33 PM
maxum96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 08 drive by wire high idle - road side fix

Harley 1005, yes you can run a SE Race Tuner on an 08 Touring bike.&nbsp\\; I use one on my 2008 Ultra.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:34 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got a 08, got Cruise control, nearly 15,000 miles on my bike and never had a problem with the DBW. The bike only reason the bike has been to the dealer is to turn the cruise control on in the ECM after I installed it.
It idles up when its cold or 1st started.
I just did a Texas Hill Country trip of 1200 miles in 100 Plus heat, no problems.
Just ride it and give the new bikes more time to break in.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Yokel99
Cruiser

No problem running a SERT on the 08.&nbsp\\; I've never had any throttle troubles before or after the SERT

Old 07-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

good write up, i have had this happen many times and took it in, dealership acted like they didnt know what i was talking about and i couldnt "get it to do it" in front of them, i am going to print this info and bring it to them...

Old 07-07-2008, 02:24 PM
pacecarbill
6th Gear

I caught myself accidentally rolling the throttle open ever so slightly as I reached for the kill switch with my thumb, and causing the high idle problem.&nbsp\\; After my dealer explained this to me, I have been more deliberate in regards to shutting off the motor by letting go of the throttle, let the RPM come down, then OFF.&nbsp\\; Not a problem since.&nbsp\\; Oh, and I do cancel the cruise by rolling the throttle closed...this does not seem to cause the high idle thing.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:43 PM
elarnold
Stage IV

Appreciate the info. I've had this problem since the second week I bought my 08 Utlra Classic. It's been in the shop three times, and the HD idiots there think I'm crazy as they have never heard of any high idle problems like mine. I even got on the phone with the factory over the problem and they acted stupid. First of all, mine has changed idle speeds (increased) intermittently WHILE DRIVING. The idle may start at 1800 and work it's way to 2500 rpm. While coming out of the mountains in Arkansas, running about 15 mph in a sharp 180 degree turn , the thing increased idle to 2800 rpm, shot me across the outside lane of traffic, just missing a car. I was able to gather the thing up about 1 foot from hitting a guard rail overlooking a cliff. Needless to say, I scared the crap out of us (wife was 2 up). I put it in the shop when home and they had it 2 weeks while conversing back and forth with HD. They said they installed a "brand new software package from the factory and replaced a module (unknown which one). They test drove it for about 10 miles with no problem. Guess what, the first 50 miles I drove it afterwards, the idle jumped up again.....even tho I had not stopped or turned the ignition off. Yesterday, I started out at 1500 rpm and rode it to work. About half way to work, I stopped for a red light and the idle had jumped up all the way to 3800 rpm. WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!!! I love the ride, but if HD can't find a quick solution and my wife or I get hurt because of the idle problem, you bet I'll be in the attorney's office here that just happened to handle the Ford Explorer/Firestone tire rollovers. Maybe if enough people complain directly to HD factory like I have, they will get off their butts and give us a quick and final solution.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:37 PM
mjo_dude
Stage II

my experience at the 1000 mile check&nbsp\\;was like Gtsdesigns'. i have printed up the info from 88b's post and look forward to that stupid response "HD is working on the fix", when i shove it in their face. Over $20k for the FLHX, over $7K in upgrades, i don't think i'll be to nice now that i've read that this issue has been around since the 2007 entered the market.
hopefully the second HD dealer i spoke with today will be more honest in an effort to resolve it.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Ninekiller
Intermediate

My 08 Ultra idles at 1100 or 1200 RPM at start-up.&nbsp\\; I told the dealer that I thought it was idling too high and was told that they would fix the problem with an ECM flash at first service.&nbsp\\; Apparently this was done but the bike still idles in the same range.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:01 PM
REALBOB
Advanced

On the 4th day of ownership of my 08 FLHTCU, I was out on a poker run &amp\\; my bike was running rough and idling at 2200 rpm's.&nbsp\\; I drove to the dealer where I bought the ride &amp\\; they reset the ECM.&nbsp\\; A week later I pulled into a drive thru window at the bank &amp\\; realizing that my check book was in the tour pak, I hastily shut off the&nbsp\\;engine without letting it idle down.&nbsp\\; When I cranked to leave, the idle was set at 2000+ rpm's.&nbsp\\; I&nbsp\\;rode to the nearest HD dealer &amp\\; the service manager showed me how to reset the ECM by turning the ignition on &amp\\; off without cranking (for 10 seconds in each position) for four cycles. It worked.
&nbsp\\;
Sunday I had a day trip of about 220 miles planned.&nbsp\\; While 2-up about 25 miles from the house, I noticed a buzzard in the middle of the highway enjoying his buffet.&nbsp\\; I slowed down &amp\\; began blowing the horn.&nbsp\\; As I get about 100 ft from this creature, it casually steps right in front of me so I had to lockup the brakes with the front end taking a huge "nose dive".&nbsp\\; I juist missed the creature and continued on our journey.&nbsp\\; About 1/4 mile later, I start hearing a slight tapping noise from the engine for about 10 seconds then suddenly the engine dies.&nbsp\\; SOL!!!!
&nbsp\\;
I called a friend who retreive my truck &amp\\; trailer from my house &amp\\; dropped the bike off at the dealer.&nbsp\\; Haven't heard anything yet about what went wrong. &nbsp\\;(Svc Mgr said he would try to get to it today\\; 4th day in shop.)
&nbsp\\;
REALBOB

Old 08-18-2008, 05:34 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

My 2009 was experiencing the high idle problem as well. Usually starts at 1200-1500 rpm when warmed up. The fix is to turn the bike off using the main switch instead of the "Run" switch on the handlebars. The computer remembers the last four shutdown speeds when the engine was shut off and if you blip the throttle just before you hit the Run/Off switch on the handlebars to kill it, you will have problems. Now it starts up and idles back down to about 900-100 rpm. I would like a idle of around 800 rpm but with electronic fuel metering, it won't get any better. By the way, the hot exhaust problems experienced by 07 and 08 owners is gone with the 2009 model year. A redesigned exhaust pipe system reroutes from the old.

Quick Reply: 08 drive by wire high idle - road side fix