Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

things a service writer hears

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 11:36 AM
newrench
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Born2Glide
So Newrench, how would you recommend I handle this.
I had my bike in for a 10k service, told the service dept. that I had already changed the engine oil and filter, but they ended up changing the filter anyway...not the oil just the filter. They told me they would credit me for the filter but I just wanted to let you know how it went from the beginning.
The real problem was after about 50mi my clutch stopped working, pulled the derby cover and there is no lock nut on the adjusting rod. I am about to go in and talk to them about this and I am not too happy, it will be hard for me to keep my cool. Any advise?
If I had to guess the tech didn't realize that there was no oil change on the work order until he already changed the oil filter ,it does happen sometimes.
On the cluth issue I would speak to a service manager directly and explain to him your concearn. If he doeasn't help you out or take you seriuosly keep your cool and ask to speak to the owner or GM. It most cases they will deal with the problem.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Born2Glide
Road Master

Thanks for the tips newrench, I am on my way to see them right now.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:36 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why is it then that everything you bring to the dealers attention is written off as "that's normal". They seem to have a severe allergic reaction to doing anything under warranty so every problem is "normal". Why is it in close to 30 years of bringing cars to dealerships I've never once been told "that's normal". They actually bring your car in(the same day mind you!!), look at it(the same day mind you!!) and call you to tell you what they've found(the same day mind you!!). You make an appt at the HD dealer for a Monday and you're lucky if they start to even look at it until Wed and maybe you get it back on Friday. Then you get the added bonus of looking around the bike to find out what they scratched and dinged and didn't bother to mention to you.

This is why I work on my bike myself or go to an indy I trust.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Born2Glide
Road Master

Just got back from the dealer, I kept my cool, and it was easier than I thought. I missed out on a ride Sunday and every time I thought about the dealer screwing up my weekend it would get me pissed off again.
What made it easier than I thought was the reaction from the service manager, I could tell he was pretty embarrassed. He apologized right away and scheduled a pick-up at my house for later today. I am still going to tell them that I want to see the bike when they pull the primary cover so I can see for my self if there is any issues from the nut being down there.
We will see how it goes and I will report back. After I talked to the service manager I went into the parts dept. and bought me a service manual.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:41 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

The first step down the road of happiness........

Originally Posted by Born2Glide
After I talked to the service manager I went into the parts dept. and bought me a service manual.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,729 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Yeah, Step One. The nut probably got trapped on the magnet, so you should be OK. If it went through your chain/sprockets, you'd know it right off.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:38 PM
TMART
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am the service manager at a CAD,GMC dealer,you hit the nail on the head,some of the things customers complain about is border line insane.I will bend over backwards to help people that are out of warranty if I can,but people try and get us to fix dents rusted up scratches and anything else they think we are stupid enough to believe.My momma raised ugly kids,not stupid ones.I do have to amit,GM leans a little more towards customer satisfaction than the MOCO does.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Draggin S
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhhhhhhh.......and then there's the salesmen......don't leave them out.........

"The shipping cost on that bike is an additional $250.00 on top of the standard shipping charge because that bike is made in York Pa. instead of Milwaukee so it farther away"

WTF dipstick......it's a Wide Glide........you are either a %&*#%%^$ liar or totally ignorant and need a new job.........thanks a bunch Toto, ya musta hit your head on something........

Old 08-19-2008, 03:00 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

Funny stuff Newrench, by the way, my mirrors vibrate at stops can you warranty them?

Old 08-19-2008, 03:27 PM
hogdvr
Cruiser
Smile

Originally Posted by newrench
Ok guys remember there is always two sides to every story, as a manager in the service department I hear a lot of interesting comments to the service writers.
Im going to share some of them that I have heard over the years.

"When I pull my ultra out of thr garage my engine temp gauge (you know the outside air temp gauge in the fairing) goes right up" is this under warranty?
" my outside air temp gauge isnt right because the local banks time & temp clock says something different" can you warranty it??
" what do you mean you cant install the wal-mart oil and fram oil filter on my 2008 dyna"
" my roadking "lugs" at 40 mph in 6th gear, I want Harleys number"
" why does my 95" softail with high perfomance cams & heads get less fuel milage than my friends stock bike?"
" my brother in law works on outbord motors and he says my motor shouldn't have ANY valvetrain noise at all"
" I paid $10.000 for this sporster you should give me free services"
" what do you mean I need a new rear tire it has only been 10,000 miles, I can go longer than that with my car"
" my friend Timmy works out of his moms garage and can do a complete service for half the money as you guys, you guys are stealers!!!!"
" my handlebars wobble when I take my hands off them at 65 mph, you need to call Harley"
" can I borrow some tools and a manual? ,you guys are a rip off!!"
" I dont need no new air cleaner, I just had that put in before I went to sturgis (of last year) you trying to sell me something I dont need?"
"when harley goes out of business, you all will be kissing my a**"
" what do you mean the belt on my 2003 ultra is not under warranty , I will never buy a bike here again"
" the motor shakes in my rubber mounted Dyna, you need to call Harley"
" the windshield on my streetglide is to short, why should I have to pay for the taller one?"
" my indy installed a set of gear driven cams now the I hear a noise in the cam area ,you have to warranty it"
" why do I have to run super unleaded gas? You guys are in with the oil companies"
"I live in the same town as the owner I should get a discount"
" what do you mean the tech I want is at a school for a week!! ,I need to talk to him now!!"
" my bike "pops" with dragpipes and high flow air cleaner with no fuel management, my friend that installed them says it shouldn't"
" how can you justify $80.00 an hour when the indy down the road gets $75.00"
" a rock hit my fender, you should be able to warranty it right?"
" I lowered my bike now it rides different, your parts dept stinks"
" you charged me this much for a service? even thogh I signed the work order agreeing to the price Im going to trash you on some forum when I get home"
"where are my take off parts? It has only been two years"
"that rusted dent in my front fender was not there when I dropped it of this morning"
" I had a full tank, after you did the oil change Im on empty"
" I shouldn't need front brake bads I never use them"
" dont lube my cables! they will collect dust afterwards"
" what do you mean you cant "plug" that hole in my tire wal-mart service center will"
" I should get a discount on labor because all my friends buy there bikes here"
" when I touch the brake my criuse stops working, my uncle Bill says that is not normal"
"what do you mean I have to pay for a peformance download ( harley bills the dealership), it only takes you 2 minutes. stealer!!"
" my 21" front wheel has a dent in it and now the bike shakes, It was like that when I bought it last summer. you guys are going to pay!!"
" my friends FLH gets 2 more miles per gallon than me ,you guys sold me a lemon"
" my goldwing never had this problem"
"I belong to the H.O.G I shouldn't pay what everybody else does"
"I spent $20.000 here and you cant bump me ahead of the other guy?"
" I didn't get that nail in my tire from anywhere I have riden, It must have been in your parking lot"

I agree cutomer service is bad in a lot of places but sometimes it is the customers are as well.
I wanted to share some of these comments just for fun not to cause any problems so please keep a open mind.

ride safe

NEWRENCH

Dude, I'm LMAO rollin' off my chair with this stuff. It can't be real.

Quick Reply: things a service writer hears