Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance tuning a 2004 Road King?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:59 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by UGGA
Installing a PCIII, Fuel Pack, or whatever device will not remove your HD download. The download actually reprograms your ECM, as does a SERT. However, a PCIII, Fuel Pack, TV3 etc... does not reprogram your ECM. These devices are all installed in-line between the ECM and throttle body. Your HD download will actually make life a little easier for whichever device you install in that it will somewhat mitigate the required A/F adjustment. Your PCIII will not be working quite as hard to attain the desired result.

If you decide to remove your PCIII at a later time, your HD download will still be on the ECM. This is a good thing in case your PCIII should ever fail while out on the road.

Doug
SWEET! Thanks for that info. That helped. So the map I'm looking at on the PCIII site is titled this:

"Screamin Eagle slip-ons, Stage 1 ECM and Screamin Eagle air filter."

I guess the "Stage 1 ECM" part of that means a bike with the Stage 1 HD download installed? If so, great. This sounds like the exact map I need to start out with. I wondered what that meant by Stage 1 ECM.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:02 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SgtThump
SWEET! Thanks for that info. That helped. So the map I'm looking at on the PCIII site is titled this:

"Screamin Eagle slip-ons, Stage 1 ECM and Screamin Eagle air filter."

I guess the "Stage 1 ECM" part of that means a bike with the Stage 1 HD download installed? If so, great. This sounds like the exact map I need to start out with. I wondered what that meant by Stage 1 ECM.
That's exactly right. Stage 1 ECM refers to your HD download.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:07 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

That's exactly right. Stage 1 ECM refers to your HD download.
Outstanding. This map sounds like the perfect starting point. I'll download that map to the PCIII, install the PCIII on the bike, and ride around a bit to see if I notice a difference, then take it from there.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:14 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SgtThump
Outstanding. This map sounds like the perfect starting point. I'll download that map to the PCIII, install the PCIII on the bike, and ride around a bit to see if I notice a difference, then take it from there.
That's just what I did on my previous bike - an '06 Street Glide. I had a PCIII, Stage 1 A/C, Stage 1 download and slip-ons. I used the canned map from the Dynojet website and the bike ran really good - much better than without the PCIII. However, my gas mileage went from about 40mpg to 32mpg. Ouch!! I then decided to have the bike dyno tuned. The tuner only got me about another 3 hp and 3 torque - not enough to really feel a difference to be honest with you. My mileage was still in the low 30's, even after the dyno tune. The canned map from Dynojet was pretty close to optimal.

I think that you are going to be quite happy with the canned map. Just be prepared for a dip in fuel economy. This is no surprise though since your bike will be running richer (and cooler too).

Old 09-04-2008, 04:20 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why mess with it if your getting 45mpg?? How do your plugs look. I'd put a new set in and give it a hard run and take a reading. There are sites that will give you a picture of how they should look. Most would like to get your gas milage!

Old 09-04-2008, 04:24 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gmc
Why mess with it if your getting 45mpg?? How do your plugs look. I'd put a new set in and give it a hard run and take a reading. There are sites that will give you a picture of how they should look. Most would like to get your gas milage!
I actually just had the 20k service yesterday where they installed new plugs. They were rushing me around so much when I picked the bike up (and a storm was coming in, so I was in a hurry) that I didn't remember to ask them about how the plugs looked. I wanted to do that, but totally forgot.

As mentioned in my original post, I have a feeling the engine is running too lean and I'd like to get it closer to optimal performance. It seems like it's running too hot and the decel popping is a little annoying (not much, but a little.)

Yeah, I know my gas mileage is crazy good, but I think I could sacrafice a little bit for better performance and cooler running.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:26 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

That's just what I did on my previous bike - an '06 Street Glide. I had a PCIII, Stage 1 A/C, Stage 1 download and slip-ons. I used the canned map from the Dynojet website and the bike ran really good - much better than without the PCIII. However, my gas mileage went from about 40mpg to 32mpg. Ouch!! I then decided to have the bike dyno tuned. The tuner only got me about another 3 hp and 3 torque - not enough to really feel a difference to be honest with you. My mileage was still in the low 30's, even after the dyno tune. The canned map from Dynojet was pretty close to optimal.

I think that you are going to be quite happy with the canned map. Just be prepared for a dip in fuel economy. This is no surprise though since your bike will be running richer (and cooler too).
Thanks for all of your help (and everyone else too.)

Old 09-04-2008, 07:55 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

I pretty much got my questions answered, but does anyone else have input or an opinion?

Chris

Old 09-05-2008, 10:56 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

I'm starting to have second thoughts about messing with a "good thing." My bike already feels like it runs well, with just those minor issues of occassional decel pop and heat. I wonder if I should just leave it alone and sell the PCIII unopened/uninstalled and try to recoup some money. I do like getting the killer gas mileage I get now. I don't even worry about adding more gas until the tripmeter hits 200 miles, which is crazy good compared to alot of other bikes. Hmmm... Confused, confused, confused...

Old 09-05-2008, 11:02 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good running bike will get good gas milage. If the dealer didn't notice a problem with your plugs and it runs good, why fix it?

Quick Reply: Performance tuning a 2004 Road King?