Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bike Cost Info

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 05:07 PM
tmblweed
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
Purchased a 2009 Road Glide a few short weeks ago (below) and the Dealer discounted off the MSRP to the tune of almost $1000, plus they waived any delivery or set up fees ($900 at some other local stealers) because I purchased 5 additional years of Factory HD warranty for $1500. (Now have a total of seven years facory warranty.) Yes, $1000, he didn't charge me for the "color" used the black MSRP and then knocked off about 500 more still. I am a happy camper!

Keep moving till you find a sane dealer to work with. It took me 3 dealers to find the one that I purchased from. Plus, the bike was not stock for him, he located one for me even though I was not in a rush to take delivery. I would have waited months for the bike but they were great.
Mills Harley Davidson in Burlington, NJ - ask for Bob (anyone interested.) Great people!
Sandhills HD here in NC gets you out the door about $1000.00 less than many other local dealers.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:30 PM
ArgyleRider
Tourer
Thumbs up

This is good information. I hope it is useful to others as well. I am going to go in expecting to pay MSRP but to have the dealer shave about $2000 off the total of bike, accessories, warranty and dealer prep/freight.

Did I mention that I am married to an accountant? She is a wonderful woman and a sharp lady but she really likes it if I work hard at getting the best price for things. You all have helped build my "case" and hopefully helped me save enough money up front for the seat and bars and pipes I am gonna want next.

Thanks for the input.

Gary

Old 10-29-2008, 05:37 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't expect them to deal or even discuss accessories. They like to keep that a totally seperate "after sale" type of purchase, although they may offer an up front discount of 20% for your initial purchases. Print out this thread and have it handy to show the dealer salesman what others were able to get. When shopping, ask the salesman if he's full or part time. Avoid part timers and try to work with the sales manager if possible. That cuts out one more person (salesperson who is likely on commission) and may get you your deal. Show them you are ready to buy, have cash or checkbook in hand but don't be afraid to walk either. One place, I took the salesman's card and ripped it up in front of the dealership and left it there for them. (All they knew was full list price for everything.)..

Old 10-29-2008, 05:47 PM
doshi
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are deals out there. It is possible to purchase below MRSP.
A little backgroud first. 06 Road King 21000 miles set up for touring with Tour Pak and some other goodies. The bike was on Craigslist for 7 weeks at a fair price of 13,500.00 during which I listed it in different areas. No inquires except for the scammers. Thought about E-Bay, couldn't wait so I decided to see what the dealers would do.
Here's what the sales girl came back with on a trade for an 09 Ultra with ABS and security. 1000.00 off MSRP and 795.00 off for the set up and freight. 13000.00 for the Road King trade. Needless to say I was happy with the deal and after an hour of paper work I rode off with a new Black Pearl Ultra.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:52 PM
TennesseeEG
Cruiser

I bought a 2009 vivid black electra glide standard with cruise and security. msrp-$17000.00;cruise-about $245; security- about $350;set up- $595; doc fee-$199;freight- about $350. Paid $17,250 plus tax...totaled around $18,600.00 out the door. This was my first purchase of a new bike, so I do not know if one would consider this a good deal. Hope this provides data that helps your research.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are a union member there is a program available on UnionPlus.org. There is a vehicle buying program. Here is the link.

http://www.unionplus.org/autobuying/...ng-service.cfm

I called and motorcycles are included. You tell them what you want, they call you back with a price, location, and schedule the test drive. No like, walk out. I have not used the service yet but I will give them a try on my next auto purchase.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:38 AM
ArgyleRider
Tourer
Default Weekend Update

Progress Report:
I have 4 HD dealers within about 30 miles of me. I drove to all of them on Thursday, looked at their inventory and talked with the salesmen (where available).

Of the 4, one dealership showed no interest in even talking to me except to say they didn't have a '09 RKC in stock in any color and didn't think they could get one in turquoise and white anytime soon.

One didn't even bother to have a salesperson come over and talk to me (I really enjoyed that attitude and will not be back there, though the girl at the accessories counter was freindly).

One offered to order me one and said they would be willing to negotiate once the bike was on their floor.

One already had one on order. That last was the one closest to me and where I would probably go for the services I don't do myself.

So, I put a deposit on that last one. '09 RKC w/ ABS, security, smooth wheels in turquoise and white. Full MSRP with tax and DMV and ESP plus all the fees and charges came to about $24K. I also have a list of about $1,100 in accessories to buy at time of purchase. I'm going to try to shave the total down to $23,500 out the door.

Now I just have to get through the next 2-3 weeks waiting....
At least it is finally raining this morning. Can't ride on the first rainy day in So. Calif. All the roads are covered with a nice oil and water mix.

I really appreciate all the info you all have provided.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:49 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ArgyleRider
Progress Report:
I have 4 HD dealers within about 30 miles of me. I drove to all of them on Thursday, looked at their inventory and talked with the salesmen (where available).

Of the 4, one dealership showed no interest in even talking to me except to say they didn't have a '09 RKC in stock in any color and didn't think they could get one in turquoise and white anytime soon.

One didn't even bother to have a salesperson come over and talk to me (I really enjoyed that attitude and will not be back there, though the girl at the accessories counter was freindly).

One offered to order me one and said they would be willing to negotiate once the bike was on their floor.

One already had one on order. That last was the one closest to me and where I would probably go for the services I don't do myself.

So, I put a deposit on that last one. '09 RKC w/ ABS, security, smooth wheels in turquoise and white. Full MSRP with tax and DMV and ESP plus all the fees and charges came to about $24K. I also have a list of about $1,100 in accessories to buy at time of purchase. I'm going to try to shave the total down to $23,500 out the door.

Now I just have to get through the next 2-3 weeks waiting....
At least it is finally raining this morning. Can't ride on the first rainy day in So. Calif. All the roads are covered with a nice oil and water mix.

I really appreciate all the info you all have provided.

Sounds to me like all negotiating is over. You placed a deposit. To the dealer, that's a "gotch'a"...
But you found what you were looking for and you got your color. Good luck with the bike!

Old 11-06-2008, 08:29 PM
ArgyleRider
Tourer
Default Progress Report II

I found out about the Shriner Edition bikes and special pricing for them yesterday and went to discuss them with my dealer today. He was clueless. We added up the costs for the RKC and it came to just under $25,000 out the door with 7-year ESP W/ wheel and tire and all taxes and fees. They offered to cut $500 off the price of the bike and maybe $100 off the ESP.

I went to another dealer that was recommended by another Shriner. While I was there, I had the chance to ride an Ultra Classic a ways on the highway and also another Road King. Big difference. I decided to switch to an Ultra.

Bottom line, if you figure in the $1000 in accessories I was going to get for the RKC that come with the Ultra, I paid less than $700 more for the Ultra. Now I have to wait until January for delivery. It pays to shop around.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:18 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

The deals in SE Wisconsin (Milwaukee & Racine) are a lot better. $1,500/$1,600 off MSRP last month and no set-up or freight

Quick Reply: New Bike Cost Info