Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free Fix for Touring Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:37 PM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadie_Glidin'
If the MOCO officially recognizes this problem and initiates a recall, it will open then up to many lawsuits.

Right now if they deny the problem, it has to be proven in court that the problem exists, which can be tough to do against their legal team.

If they do a recall it will be the same as them admitting fault. Then the lawsuits will start rolling in since they no longer need to prove the problem exists, since the MOCO admitted it with the recall.

Sad, but they CAN not admit to it, even if they know it it to be true.

~ RIDE SAFE ~
Sad, but they WILL not admit to it because so far it is not in the best interest of the Shareholders, even if they know it to be true.

FIXED IT!

Old 11-04-2013, 07:22 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

OP: You forgot one "normal" that is the gross vehicle weight. No pre 09 HD touring with proper tire inflation, proper steering head bearing adjustment and not exceeding the weight restrictions on the tour pack, saddle bags and two up limitations will have any problem with wobble.

However put a hefty couple (come on you know most are well over weight), load down the bags and trunk with out putting the heaviest items in the bottom of the saddle bags and put heavy stuff in the tour pack then load up a rack on top of the tour pack. Then bast through high speed sweepers on the road. Guess what? That sucker will be in trouble.

Harley went to Sturgis a number of times during the development for the new frame and asked to weight bikes. What did they find? That the majority of touring bikes traveling were horribly over capacity.

What did they do? They increased touring capacities in 09 and now further in the 14's.

By the way there was a post that had a video made in England a few years ago about wobble and weave. ALL bikes can experience both. The video showed a rider making a bike do that and then corrected the condition.

No matter what HD does it can not fix stupid. Have an 08 or earlier and are going to travel. Read the manual, load to specs or less and you will not have a problem.

The biggest single problem with the wobble was operator error in loading and maintenance. Again HD cannot control that.

Last edited by lh4x4; 11-04-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:46 AM
hdoilcan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was doing a search for "road king rear wobble" and found this thread. I have a 14' road king and have experienced a wobble a few times now. At first I was thinking it as just my head playing games. It doesn't do it all the time .... Last week was the last time..... I was take a left hand turn at a stop light in town ( was NOT going fast at all) and my back tire felt like it was gonna come out from under me. I pulled right over and checked my back wheel/tire and everything seemed fine. My wife was behind me in the minivan so I told her to keep an eye out on that tire as were drove about 5 miles to walmart. In the walmart parking lot I tried the same type of turn at roughly the say speed and I didn't feel anything. There are some times the bike feels a little unstable but I always put it with being the road. Now after do this search and reading on it I'm starting to wonder and will be paying a lot more attention to it.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:05 PM
StevieRay59
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint55
Haven’t decided for sure yet. That’s what I meant by “leaning towards”. My initial reaction is that most of these stabilizing devices are a very simple and basic design. They seem to be conceptually the same so……. material quality, tolerances and workmanship are the real issues, IMO. I will admit that if the prices were the same, I’d probably go with something that has longer track record and was tested & proven along with more available customer feedback. A couple of hundred dollars does mean a lot to me. I’d really like to order all of them so I could evaluate and then choose one. While we’re on the subject, which product would you suggest and why. .
I put the true-track 20-00-09 on mine today. Bike feels more stable but I only got to test for a couple hours. So far I'm glad I spent the money, ride two up most of the time.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:03 PM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion is that if you experience this so called wobble, but the aftermarket fix and move on or sell the bike and buy a different brand. More threads and complaints won't change the options you have.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:48 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 461 Posts

Mine (08 Road King) seems more stable when 2 up. When by myself in the fast sweepers there is a little "hunting" in the turn, no hint of a tank slapper kind of thing. I take those same turns at the same speed when 2 up. My experience may be unique.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lh4x4
OP: You forgot one "normal" that is the gross vehicle weight. No pre 09 HD touring with proper tire inflation, proper steering head bearing adjustment and not exceeding the weight restrictions on the tour pack, saddle bags and two up limitations will have any problem with wobble.

However put a hefty couple (come on you know most are well over weight), load down the bags and trunk with out putting the heaviest items in the bottom of the saddle bags and put heavy stuff in the tour pack then load up a rack on top of the tour pack. Then bast through high speed sweepers on the road. Guess what? That sucker will be in trouble.

Harley went to Sturgis a number of times during the development for the new frame and asked to weight bikes. What did they find? That the majority of touring bikes traveling were horribly over capacity.

What did they do? They increased touring capacities in 09 and now further in the 14's.

By the way there was a post that had a video made in England a few years ago about wobble and weave. ALL bikes can experience both. The video showed a rider making a bike do that and then corrected the condition.

No matter what HD does it can not fix stupid. Have an 08 or earlier and are going to travel. Read the manual, load to specs or less and you will not have a problem.

The biggest single problem with the wobble was operator error in loading and maintenance. Again HD cannot control that.
Agreed! In addition: the MoCo fails IMHO to advise on sensible tyre pressures. Adding extra passenger plus the kitchen sink to stock tyre pressures is asking for trouble, whether over-loaded or just in spec. I have solo and 2-up pressures, based on old rules of thumb and experience and we ride close to our old bike's GVWL.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:25 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by hdoilcan
I was doing a search for "road king rear wobble" and found this thread. I have a 14' road king and have experienced a wobble a few times now. At first I was thinking it as just my head playing games. It doesn't do it all the time .... Last week was the last time..... I was take a left hand turn at a stop light in town ( was NOT going fast at all) and my back tire felt like it was gonna come out from under me. I pulled right over and checked my back wheel/tire and everything seemed fine. My wife was behind me in the minivan so I told her to keep an eye out on that tire as were drove about 5 miles to walmart. In the walmart parking lot I tried the same type of turn at roughly the say speed and I didn't feel anything. There are some times the bike feels a little unstable but I always put it with being the road. Now after do this search and reading on it I'm starting to wonder and will be paying a lot more attention to it.
I have lately felt the same thing front and rear. can the front be from a light front end? I do not know why after 15K miles it is suddenly different. could running low pressure awhile then filling proper be a factor?

Old 07-01-2014, 12:35 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by hdoilcan
Any chance you ran over a "tar snake" in warm weather?

Old 07-01-2014, 01:23 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Never saw any forum posts about high speed wobble on bikes that were doing the posted speed limit on sweeping turns. It was always from people exceeding those limits.

Maybe that is why HD never publically responded.

On my 07 I only experienced high speed wobble when going significantly over the posted limits on highway sweepers. Slowing down just a bit always made the wobble go away.

Maybe these are 800 lbs. cruisers, not racers.

No wobble at all with my 12.

Quick Reply: Free Fix for Touring Wobble