Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   K&N ??? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/29700-k-and-n.html)

Mitt 04-09-2006 01:01 AM

RE: K&N ???

ORIGINAL: KRATC

ORIGINAL: Mitt

Is it similar to or better than the SE kit - Someone told me it's a better kit cause it opens up the back plate? Anyway, I went ahead and bought one.

I am still trying to figure out which tuner to get - I guess I'll just go with the PCIII USB as I can't get a straight answer about the SERT tuner from anyone online or off. Harley stopped making the one shot chips so I'm stuck having to spend +$200 and I didn't want to do that as my only mods will be pipes and an air box...
Are you talking about a download/map flash for when you change the air filter & exhaust? Harley has not stopped doing that, any H-D dealer should be able to do a map change for you. Stage I download is about $150.
As for not getting a straight answer or info on the Screaming Eagle Race Tuner, search this forum, there are numerous posts & lots of GREAT info.
Yup - service manager said they won't/can't do it anymore. He said can't do it on the 06's Harley prevents it somehow. He said the only way was with a PCIII or a SERT (just telling you what he told me) If he's bull$hitting I sure want to know about it... Thanks.

but Ill try 2 try 04-09-2006 01:26 AM

Any opinions on using the SE A/C kit with a K&N and leaving the outer football off and just running the open/exposed K&N? It's a sweet look on a dyna as that's where I usually hang out here cause I got a Street Bob. I figured I'd check in here for opinions on this setup as many of you RK and bagger riders are older -scratch that- are more "experienced" with setups, etc.

Topper 04-09-2006 01:34 AM

ORIGINAL: but Ill try 2 try

Any opinions on using the SE A/C kit with a K&N and leaving the outer football off and just running the open/exposed K&N? It's a sweet look on a dyna as that's where I usually hang out here cause I got a Street Bob. I figured I'd check in here for opinions on this setup as many of you RK and bagger riders are older -scratch that- are more "experienced" with setups, etc.

Saw and heard a RK with the same setup last weekend, and by far the best sounding bike I have ever heard in person. Had a S&S cover on the side (or top), the entire filter was exposed. I naturally asked about water issues, and was told that as long as there is not a direct spray, the filter would be fine.......But to be on the safe side, carry a Large Ziplock baggie with you for rain and put it on during cleaning.......

BTW, what are those things hanging from youre shoulders???????????:D

Shovelhead Bob 04-09-2006 01:42 AM

...I'll just go with the PCIII USB as I can't get a straight answer about the SERT tuner from anyone online or off. Harley stopped making the one shot chips so I'm stuck having to spend +$200 and I didn't want to do that as my only mods will be pipes and an air box...

Huh????

Cartridges are not being ceased.... They are on back order for a few select ECM updates (Primarily the Race flashes)... and a majority of the ECM updates (Flashes) are found in the Digital Technician.... Someone is getting BS'd...

KRATC 04-09-2006 01:55 AM

ORIGINAL: KRATC

Is it similar to or better than the SE kit - Someone told me it's a better kit cause it opens up the back plate? Anyway, I went ahead and bought one.

I am still trying to figure out which tuner to get - I guess I'll just go with the PCIII USB as I can't get a straight answer about the SERT tuner from anyone online or off. Harley stopped making the one shot chips so I'm stuck having to spend +$200 and I didn't want to do that as my only mods will be pipes and an air box...
Are you talking about a download/map flash for when you change the air filter & exhaust? Harley has not stopped doing that, any H-D dealer should be able to do a map change for you. Stage I download is about $150.
As for not getting a straight answer or info on the Screaming Eagle Race Tuner, search this forum, there are numerous posts & lots of GREAT info.
Yup - service manager said they won't/can't do it anymore. He said can't do it on the 06's Harley prevents it somehow. He said the only way was with a PCIII or a SERT (just telling you what he told me) If he's bull$hitting I sure want to know about it... Thanks.
Mitt,
I think that service manager is full of it. Call another dealer & see what they have to say. I was talking to the service manager at one of the dealers here in Tulsa this afternoon about my 2006 Ultra, it is a 95" BB & has the 1550 map download with no SERT or PCIII, (although I'm planning on adding the SERT soon). He was telling me about a mutual friend who had just got his 2006 Ulltra & changed pipes & exhaust & a Stage I map download no SERT or PCIII.
I suggest you check with some other dealers to see what is going on there.
Ken.

Topper 04-09-2006 02:02 AM

Shovelhead, you are a Tech., what is your opinion on the SE filter vs. K&N?? I've tried K&N in 2 different diesel trucks and an F150 without much luck. No power or mileage gain with the diesels and the F150 Triton V-8 drank more juice than a stock filter. Just curious about your thoughts. Thanks.

Shovelhead Bob 04-09-2006 02:14 AM

Ness Big Sucker or K&N are my preferences (Personal ...... Of course..)

A lot of it has to do with the proper care and maintenance of the element itself... I can't tell you how many time I have had a customer come in with a dripping wet filter (Filter Oil), complaining that the bike ran like crap, and it stained his $500 Tony Laama's (sp)...

The automotive market filters are a ruse... You really should use a system like AIRRAID.... Little or no bends or air obstructions.. Putting a quality filter in place of a stock one (Air Box), does no good, That is why the A/C kits that HD, Arlen Ness, S&S, etc... delete the black backing plate.... Hinders MASSIVE AIR FLOW....

Topper 04-09-2006 02:46 AM

Thanks for the input Shovelhead, ever in NC look me up, I'm usually the one buying all the beer on Friday for my local techs[sm=goodidea.gif]

Bryan TTM 04-09-2006 10:55 AM

Mitt you will find the K&N to have a built in velocity stack for the backplate they supply...IMO it is far superior to an SE or bigsucka...for the time being you will reuse the football only(ditch the little rubber trim on the back rim of the football)...the K&N is shaped similar but not exactly like the factory, gimme some time tho an i'll come up with an alternative cover to fit...i have a SERT, my buddy has a PCIII, we make about the same power...we both have 06 SG's...either will do just fine, the SERT is more expensive...either will allow you to put any mods you want on the engine, then go have a dyno tune done to tweak em...i wish id'a bought the PCIII bc of cost

Mitt 04-10-2006 01:35 PM

Thank you Bryan for taking the time to go through everything, your a gentleman...