Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RoadGlide: cracks in headlight lens cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 11:55 PM
Slider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RoadGlide: cracks in headlight lens cover

ORIGINAL: wnogood

Small flat blade screwdriver, under the bottom of the lens, gently in and pry up and out. Once you get it off, it will make more sense. I pull mine off at every wash....

nogood o~`o

That's how I do it...

Old 04-10-2006, 11:56 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wnogood

Small flat blade screwdriver, under the bottom of the lens, gently in and pry up and out. Once you get it off, it will make more sense. I pull mine off at every wash....

nogood o~`o
Is it simply a matter of getting the lens cover off to replace the headlamp? Or as someone posted earlier, does headlamp replacement require removal of the outer fairing?

Old 04-11-2006, 12:00 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TJ - Replacement of the headlamp bulbs does require removal of the outer fairing. It's not difficult, but having said that, I put almost 50k on my 02 RG & never had a light burn out.

Jfanton - yes, that is correct. I have not chipped or cracked the paint. In fact , I just went & checked....

Old 04-11-2006, 12:03 AM
buttman
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had mine off twice also, but it's such a pain in the A$$!!!

It's definitely a technique kinda thing.......no paint chips either

[IMG]local://upfiles/8977/9A915DFB567E4970B90C503D4BCC52FD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-11-2006, 12:20 AM
roadglide65
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have all ways taken mine out from the top first. and put it back with the top going last.
If your are concerned about the paint use popsicle sticks

Old 04-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

I remove mine all the time using the flat screwdriver method. I cover the tip of the screwdriver with a cleaning rag to keep from chipping the paint.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:37 AM
jfanton
Road Captain

I'll give it another go, but I'm wondering if it's year dependent at all. I even asked one of the H-D tech's, he also said it can be done, but usually at the expense of chiping the paint. I can't find anything about it in the service manual, unless I'm missing it some how.
I find it hard to believe that the outer fairing has to be pulled to get that lens out, just doesn't make sense. But why the hell wouldn't the manual make reference to it???

The bottom of the lens pops out with no problem.
So are we saying applying upward pressure on lens while pulling forward on one corner is the trick?

Old 04-11-2006, 01:01 AM
Kahuna
Road Master

Guys,

What you need to use is a one-inch putty knife! I would not suggest using a screwdriver! The putty knife fits perfectly under the tabs! I have pulled mine off many times, without scratching the paint! The trick is to do the bottom tabs first, then the lens would pop out! My lens didn't have any cracks, but I did see some chafing. I remember the stealer was trying to aim the lamps, and they overadjusted one of the lights, so the edge of the bulb frame was rubbing against the clear lens.

The more I take my RG to the stealer, they keep screwing it up!

ORIGINAL: jfanton

I'll give it another go, but I'm wondering if it's year dependent at all. I even asked one of the H-D tech's, he also said it can be done, but usually at the expense of chiping the paint. I can't find anything about it in the service manual, unless I'm missing it some how.
I find it hard to believe that the outer fairing has to be pulled to get that lens out, just doesn't make sense. But why the hell wouldn't the manual make reference to it???

The bottom of the lens pops out with no problem.
So are we saying applying upward pressure on lens while pulling forward on one corner is the trick?

Old 04-11-2006, 09:23 AM
websterdan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never use anything but my hands. My hands won't chip paint. Lightly push in the bottom while applying upward, then outward pressure. Take mine out all the time.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:31 AM
doch4m
Cruiser

OK, another (related) question.

I am converting my EG to a RG. Do your headlight cover/lenses have the black plastic trim pieces on the top, bottom and sides, or just on the top and bottom. Mine came with the trim strips just on the top and bottom. The parts manual showed trim on all 4 sides, so I ordered the side ones. Maybe it won't fit right with the trim on the sides? Are the side trim pieces necessary? Do your covers have the side trim pieces?

Don't want to spend hours in trial and error with all of you experienced Roadies here!

Thanks.

Ride safe.

Doug

Quick Reply: RoadGlide: cracks in headlight lens cover